S & J

Chest x-ray came back with issues

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, so the immigration Dr called earlier this week and told me that I had to follow-up with my family Dr. I wasn't worried because there was another Canadian VJer who had the same issue. But now I had the follow-up appointment apparantly best case scenario is sarcoidosis. I have to get a CT scan to find out more.

I have an interview Jan 22, but not sure I should go. As everyone I know is emotionally involved I just want to throw a few things out there for more logic and less emotion...

Do I cancel the interview? What will the consulate do if I do this?

My husband has insurance, but doesn't this give me a pre-exisiting condition and I will not be covered, right?

Just so you know this isn't a shadow, spot or error of the x-ray the report says it is a "symmetric enlargement of both hila and additionally there is thickening of the superior mediastinal soft tissue"

I have cried enough - just want to be realistic now.

Thanks for any advice.

S

03/01/07 Mailed I-130 priority post to Nebraska.

06/19/07 Approved!!!

07/10/07 NVC assigned case #.

10/25/07 NVC Case Complete!!!!

01/22/08 Original Monreal interview- requested to reschedule, told 3-4 month wait.

04/17/08 Interview in Montreal

04/21/08 Received VISA package

06/24/08 Crossed border

07/26/08 Received conditional greencard

07/28/08 Received SSN in mail (went down and applied in person 07/14/08)

08/11/08 Infopass appointment to request 10yr greencard instead of conditional. Mailed out 1-90 with support.

09/25/08 Received case # for I-90

02/17/09 Received 10yr greencard!!! WOOHOO

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm no expert on this but on reading your post I asked a few friends some questions and did a bit of my own research.

It's my understanding that claims on a pre-existing condition may only be excluded for the first 12 months of your insurance policy. Some insurance companies will deny you outright but others will accept you with the 'pre-existing condition clause'. See here for details.

I also read that if your husband is insured through a group policy at work then this may be of further benefit: "... up until 10 months ago I was the group insurance administrator for a company of 300 employees. If the writer of the question (or the victim of insurance companies as I see it) was covered for 6 consecutive months PRIOR to searching for medical insurance, she cannot, by law, be declined by any insurance company for any reason, including pre-existing conditions. I suspect, however, by her post that she had gone some period of time without coverage. Given that, her best bet is to become affiliated with some kind of group that offers its members medical insurance. For instance, my husband is a real estate appraiser. as such, he belongs to FREA (Foundation of Real Estate Appraisers) which offers group insurance for all of its members. Real estate agents have similar organizations they can belong to. Many, many professions have related clubs and organizations which offer health insurance. If she cannot find one related to either her or her husband's occupation, then I suggest she start up a small business---maybe Mary Kay, Avon, Tupperware, anything that will allow her to apply to organizations for small business owners. most of those offer group health plans. As long as she tries to obtain health insurance through a group plan, it is unlikely she will be denied. Most group plans are set up so that members, upon initial enrollment, cannot be denied." (Source: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990111b.cfm)

Maybe you could delay the interview, rather than cancelling it, until you get the CT scan and a firmer diagnosis. Or, you could attend the interview and use the six month period to plan your next move. In practical terms, you probably need to get as much treatment as you can before you enter the US health system.

I hope this is of some help. Others who have experienced the US health system firsthand may have better information. Best of luck! :)

Filed: Timeline

I am sorry to hear you are going through this, S&J. I am not familiar with the procedure when such as this happens but, hopefully, someone will come along who does. However, if it were me, I would attend the interview. I believe (but am not certain) that they will hold the visa until they receive the results from the follow-up.

All the best, and God bless. (F)

iagree.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

First of all let me say how truly sorry I am for you. Best or worst case scenario~ it's scary.

If it were me , I would keep the interview. At the very least get in there and let the consulate decide the outcome. Upon denial you are given the chance to offer further information to change the decision at a later date, but you'll have at least attended the interview and will know what their decision is and what you have to do to be approved if it's possible. Depending on the diagnosis and the prognosis of you situation there is still a possibility of approval. Delaying the interview will not change the outcome but it will offer you more insight to to the possibilities. Even with your best case scenario, approval of the visa may be out of the question but only the consulate can decide that.

Read this link and see what you think.....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=medical

I wish you all the best

Andrea

google.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't understand how this would constitute a visa denial. It's not a communicable disease, it can't be spread to someone else. The only problem I see is the insurance issue which babblesgirl brought up. It will depend on the insurance company but they can't deny coverage forever. Some may cover right away, some may have the 12 month rule.

I read the classes of aliens ineligible for visa section on the DOS website and can't see how any of them pertain to you so you should be fine that way.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It doesn't sound like the condition you have is communicable and that is what the US health exam is mainly to reveal - conditions that pose a threat to US citizens. Your husband will be the one who promises to support you so Immigration isn't looking at if this will affect your ability to work or not - your support is your husband to be's responsibility. Still, isn't a fun diagnosis to be considering regardless of the circumstances. Try to be positive and continue to plan as if it isn't as serious as it currently sounds. You will have time to modify your approach after the interview, if necessary.

If you have any type of insurance now through an employer, when you do decide to move to the US on your visa, make sure you get a statement from them on their letterhead stating you are covered for health insurance and include the dates you started and ended. See if they will continue to cover you for a few weeks or a month after you leave employment (mine did) until you can be covered under your husband's insurance. Many times the 12 month exemption for an existing condition is waived if you have continuous insurance up until you are added to the US plan. As well, get a statement of your Provincial health coverage as that also provides you with coverage and this is another form of 'proof' for your US health insurer. Also, get copies of your medical history from your doctor including exams, tests, hospitalizations, treatments, prescriptions, etc. so you can provide a copy if necessary to your new insurer as well as to your new GP in the US.

Do see your GP and find out what, if anything, is required and what the xray results mean. The xrays may be mistaken. You may find it reasonable to proceed with the interview without having to reschedule. Be prepared to bring additional medical information from your GP about any treatment you may have or need, or even more details about what the condition actually means. If Immigration states that further treatment that is required, then you can get it in Canada. If they don't have a problem with it, then use the 6 months time available on the visa to obtain any necessary treatment in Canada where it is covered by insurance. This may only be a small bump in the road and not the mountain it currently appears. Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Kathryn is right on :thumbs:

Stay strong hon.

Best of luck to you always (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

Excellent information from Kathryn. I would just like to add that the Consulate will hold the issuance of an approved visa until you notify them that you are ready to leave. At that time you will send them your passport and they will issue the visa. They won't do it indefinitely, but it will certainly give you more time in Canada if you need it. Blessings.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

I agree with Kathryn on this one, and will just elaborate by adding that there have been other Canadians thru here with ongoing illnesses that they were afraid they would not get insurance coverage in the US, but they did just by showing that they had provincial coverage in Canada.

The only issue that I can imagine that would come up at your interview would be if your husband does not currently have health insurance that he can add you to, and if his income is close to the borderline for the affidavit of support. He'll have to be able to show that he can support you and any medical expenses will not become a hardship. If he adds you to his insurance, you're good to go.

I will add however that it'll still cost an arm and a leg for treatment in the US, so you may want to delay your departure from Canada until you've been treated. From what I've read, most people who have sarcoidosis never even realize they have it, and becoming disabled from it is rare, death from it even more rare.

What Are the Treatments for Sarcoidosis?

Many people with sarcoidosis have mild symptoms and do not require any treatment. Often the disease gets better on its own over time. However, for patients with more pronounced symptoms, corticosteroid drugs, such as prednisone, are the recommended therapy. The main goals of treatment are to keep the patient comfortable by reducing symptoms and to maintain proper functioning of any affected organs. At this time, there is no treatment available to reverse the pulmonary fibrosis (scarring in the lungs) that may accompany severe sarcoidosis.

If you were not experiencing any difficulty prior to the x-ray, then I'd hazard a guess you do not have a severe case of it, and will in statistical likelihood not require treatment, nor get any worse. Of course I'm not a doctor, but sometimes a spot is just a spot.

Go ahead with the interview and start packing :)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Thank you all for taking the time to write - it is greatly appreciated!

We have decided to request a postponement of the interview because there is not enough time to get a CT scan before the interview. We want to know exactly what we are dealing with before making any long-term decisions.

For further clarity, my husband is a teacher in Ohio and has group insurance. He said he would find out more. I am covered under Albert Health Care and I have a policy with work. So it sounds like as long as this isn't serious this is just a bit of a delay. Woohoo - yay too hope!!!!

Thanks again,

S

03/01/07 Mailed I-130 priority post to Nebraska.

06/19/07 Approved!!!

07/10/07 NVC assigned case #.

10/25/07 NVC Case Complete!!!!

01/22/08 Original Monreal interview- requested to reschedule, told 3-4 month wait.

04/17/08 Interview in Montreal

04/21/08 Received VISA package

06/24/08 Crossed border

07/26/08 Received conditional greencard

07/28/08 Received SSN in mail (went down and applied in person 07/14/08)

08/11/08 Infopass appointment to request 10yr greencard instead of conditional. Mailed out 1-90 with support.

09/25/08 Received case # for I-90

02/17/09 Received 10yr greencard!!! WOOHOO

Timeline

Sorry to hear about ur situation and hoping for the best! Keep in mind that you dont have to enter the USA right away, you have up to 6 months to activate the visa!! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Thank you all for taking the time to write - it is greatly appreciated!

We have decided to request a postponement of the interview because there is not enough time to get a CT scan before the interview. We want to know exactly what we are dealing with before making any long-term decisions.

For further clarity, my husband is a teacher in Ohio and has group insurance. He said he would find out more. I am covered under Albert Health Care and I have a policy with work. So it sounds like as long as this isn't serious this is just a bit of a delay. Woohoo - yay too hope!!!!

Thanks again,

S

Yes, it does sound like things will be ok on the insurance front. And I also think that getting the CT results and being fully aware of what you're dealing with is a good plan.

Reba's point is valid too - most people don't have chest x-rays unless they have symptoms which need checking out. We're 'healthy' people going through diagnostic processes, so sometimes things will show up which scare the living daylights out of us but are not necessarily indicative of serious illness. I hope you get your CT scan soon and can move forward with confidence.

Best of luck! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.