6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Greetings all! I have made the mistake of hiring an immigration attorney to handle the I-751 form for lifting of conditions. Really just to check my documents, better off just doing myself!

I contacted her and she filed the I-751 about 90 days before the expiration date of Cond Green Card. But she used the old form so it was sent back to me. I resent with proper form and yesterday received the I-751 NOA.

My wife and stepsons green cards expire on January 23rd (they both received at the same time).

My question is how do they prove legal status after the cards expire? The NOA extends the legal status but how do you get on an airplane? Also my stepsons name doesn't even appear on the NOA only his mothers name, so even with a copy of the NOA in hand how can he prove status?

Here is the information the attorney provided I have much more faith in all of you than her!

As Dima (stepson)has a directive status, he will not be issued a separate Notice. This Notice which you received will be a sufficient evidence of extended status for both. However, if you are planning to travel, Natalia and Dima will need to have temporary stamps (I-551) in their passports. To obtain those, you will have to schedule a InforPass appointment with an immigration office in Phoenix.

By the way the stepson doesn't have a passport as he traveled on his mothers passport...

Thanks

I129F 06-23-2004

Mail receipted 06-24-2004

NOA 1 07-01-2004 Never received in mail

Called CSC to request NOA 1 be resent (they said NO!) 07-28-2004

NOA 2 08-31-2004 SUPRISE!

NVC receives 09-07-2004

NVC forwarded petition to Kiev 09-13-2004

Never received packet 3

Downloaded packet 3 and returned 9-22-2004

Requested interview 10-4

NVC sent embassy her maiden name!

Sent embassy documentation showing passport name.

Notified of interview 10-1-2004 by email.

Never received packet 4

Embassy guard still had maiden name she was prepared with documentation!

Interview successful 10-4-2004

Arrive JFK 10-19-20

Arrive Phoenix 10-20-2004

Married 1-6-05!

Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting NOT WAITING

Laughing in the face of adversity, an old talent with a new use

Filed: Timeline
Greetings all! I have made the mistake of hiring an immigration attorney to handle the I-751 form for lifting of conditions. Really just to check my documents, better off just doing myself!

I contacted her and she filed the I-751 about 90 days before the expiration date of Cond Green Card. But she used the old form so it was sent back to me. I resent with proper form and yesterday received the I-751 NOA.

My wife and stepsons green cards expire on January 23rd (they both received at the same time).

My question is how do they prove legal status after the cards expire? The NOA extends the legal status but how do you get on an airplane? Also my stepsons name doesn't even appear on the NOA only his mothers name, so even with a copy of the NOA in hand how can he prove status?

Here is the information the attorney provided I have much more faith in all of you than her!

As Dima (stepson)has a directive status, he will not be issued a separate Notice. This Notice which you received will be a sufficient evidence of extended status for both. However, if you are planning to travel, Natalia and Dima will need to have temporary stamps (I-551) in their passports. To obtain those, you will have to schedule a InforPass appointment with an immigration office in Phoenix.

By the way the stepson doesn't have a passport as he traveled on his mothers passport...

Thanks

Hmm. Well, it's "derivative" status for your stepson, by the way, but all the same she's right. You would need to make an InfoPass appointment to get a stamp in the passport. if the child is on your wife's passport, then ask the local office for a stamp that would cover him as well.

When travelling, take the passport, expired green card if you were not asked to return it, and the NOA with you at all times.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

How old is your stepson?

My son was 15 when we submitted our I-751 and he got a separate extension letter. In fact, he got two letters. One was a VERIFICATION OF INCLUSION OF A DEPENDENT IN FILING OF FORM I-751 OR I-752. The second one is the actual NOA that acknowledged receipt of the $80 for biometrics and extending my son's conditional resident status for a period of one year.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just received another letter from USCIS for the stepson it verifys that he is included on an I-751 form. It says "You may travel outside the united States and return during this one year period upon presentation of both your alien registration receipt card and this verification"

Does this take the place of a passport? Since the stepson was under 18 when he left Ukraine he had no Ukrainian passport, he traveled on his mothers?

I129F 06-23-2004

Mail receipted 06-24-2004

NOA 1 07-01-2004 Never received in mail

Called CSC to request NOA 1 be resent (they said NO!) 07-28-2004

NOA 2 08-31-2004 SUPRISE!

NVC receives 09-07-2004

NVC forwarded petition to Kiev 09-13-2004

Never received packet 3

Downloaded packet 3 and returned 9-22-2004

Requested interview 10-4

NVC sent embassy her maiden name!

Sent embassy documentation showing passport name.

Notified of interview 10-1-2004 by email.

Never received packet 4

Embassy guard still had maiden name she was prepared with documentation!

Interview successful 10-4-2004

Arrive JFK 10-19-20

Arrive Phoenix 10-20-2004

Married 1-6-05!

Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting NOT WAITING

Laughing in the face of adversity, an old talent with a new use

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just for curiosity..did she refund her fee ??? If not did you file a complaint. It's bad enough when we mess up but an immigration attorney should know better.

When we contacted the immigration attorney that did our AOS she told us that she's be happy to do it for us but (knowing us) she didn't think it was necessary and recommended we save the see and do it ourselves.

Just received another letter from USCIS for the stepson it verifys that he is included on an I-751 form. It says "You may travel outside the united States and return during this one year period upon presentation of both your alien registration receipt card and this verification"

Does this take the place of a passport? Since the stepson was under 18 when he left Ukraine he had no Ukrainian passport, he traveled on his mothers?

No, the extension letter does not take the place of a passport. I'm not sure if he can still travel on his mother's passport though. I hope someone who is more knowledgeable will chime in.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.