Delicia

Criminal Background check

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

My husband called the OPP today (the station near his house) to inquire about getting his criminal thingy done. The OPP told him that only the main station in downtown Toronto will process his request and they have all the necessary forms there. They told him that he had to have his fingerprints taken and it takes up to 4 months to get it back. He doesn't have any criminal charges, arrests, or convictions, so I thought I read that just a country-wide name check was required. He had asked the OPP about it and they said no, that they only do the fingerprinting. What's the real deal?

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's just not true, well the part about the fingerprints anyway (from an immigration standpoint - no criminal convictions - name check is fine) - he does have to go to the main police station - they even have the info posted on their website:

Clearance Letter

A Clearance Letter is a formal document produced on secure paper indicating that the subject of the inquiry has no criminal convictions in the National Repository of Criminal Records maintained by the RCMP.

Requests must be made in person. Please download and complete this form, then bring it to police headquarters, 40 College Street, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays). Two pieces of government issued identification are required, one of which must contain a photograph and signature. Click here to read about the suitable forms of identification.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was told my the police service in alberta that i only needed my fingers printed if i had a criminal record.

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My husband called the OPP today (the station near his house) to inquire about getting his criminal thingy done. The OPP told him that only the main station in downtown Toronto will process his request and they have all the necessary forms there. They told him that he had to have his fingerprints taken and it takes up to 4 months to get it back. He doesn't have any criminal charges, arrests, or convictions, so I thought I read that just a country-wide name check was required. He had asked the OPP about it and they said no, that they only do the fingerprinting. What's the real deal?

If you go to Toronto, tell DH to go during bad weather. I went when it was pouring rain and the officer told me that nobody shows up during bad weather but at other times you may need to wait in line for at least an hour. Toronto mails it out to you. Durham police do it 24/7 but they mail out the results. Peel does it at one location but it takes 10 minutes. I believe Peel is the cheapest and fastest. NVC told me that if you have been refused entry you need fingerprints, that's not what I was told at MTL. Go with the name check.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

If they've changed things since I've done it then great, correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was doing all of this but the OPP in the GTA did not do certificates for immigration purposes, only employment. Pretty much everyone from the GTA that's ever gone thru VJ has had to go to the RCMP office downtown, or a Commissionaire's office. I went to Commissionaire's in Scarboro.

The rules however may be different for non-citizens, and he may well need to get the fingerprint check. Confirm with the Montreal consulate if you have questions. But look up the Commissionaire's offices in the GTA and get just the regular Canada wide certificate done there.

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
If they've changed things since I've done it then great, correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was doing all of this but the OPP in the GTA did not do certificates for immigration purposes, only employment. Pretty much everyone from the GTA that's ever gone thru VJ has had to go to the RCMP office downtown, or a Commissionaire's office. I went to Commissionaire's in Scarboro.

The rules however may be different for non-citizens, and he may well need to get the fingerprint check. Confirm with the Montreal consulate if you have questions. But look up the Commissionaire's offices in the GTA and get just the regular Canada wide certificate done there.

All police forces will do it as well as the Commissionaire's (ex-military) and International Fingerprint Services (ex-Toronto Police, that's the one that the Consulate recommends) and a few others. I think International is the cheapest for the RCMP certificate but I think Peel Regional Police is the cheapest for the name check. Pop did his through Toronto Police and Mom did hers through Peel (very fast) and International Fingerprint Services (NVC told us she needed fingerprints for border refusals, NVC was wrong as the namecheck was good enough!).

BTW, RCMP building is not in downtown Toronto anymore, they moved to Newmarket and Bowmanville and the airport. They moved move than ten years ago.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Husband isn't a citizen and he just got the country wide name check from the good ole Calgary Police.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can the police thing be done before you get your info from the embassy? I'm so confused by all these terms. If my fiance has no record and just needs a name check where does he go for that? He lives in Ontario south of Sarnia. It's a hike to Toronto.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Timeline
Can the police thing be done before you get your info from the embassy? I'm so confused by all these terms. If my fiance has no record and just needs a name check where does he go for that? He lives in Ontario south of Sarnia. It's a hike to Toronto.

Police certificates are good for one year. Any local police force will do the name check. Here's the info for Sarnia (assuming that that is his closest police service/force):

The following services are offered at the Sarnia Police Service Headquarters:

555 Christina Street North,

Sarnia, ON

N7T 7X6

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday - 8:00am to 4:30pm

Clearance Letters $35 cash only

Police Record Request Forms $30 cash or agency cheque

Statement of Local Convictions $30 cash only

Part 2 - Pardon Applications $30 cash only

Fingerprinting (Wednesday's only) $27 cash only

IR5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If he isn't able to get them done in Sarnia he can definitely go to the RCMP station in Windsor to do them. That is where I got mine done. It was a few years ago now, but they did it while I waited.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Clearance Letter

A Clearance Letter is a formal document produced on secure paper indicating that the subject of the inquiry has no criminal convictions in the National Repository of Criminal Records maintained by the RCMP.

Requests must be made in person. Please download and complete this form, then bring it to police headquarters, 40 College Street, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays). Two pieces of government issued identification are required, one of which must contain a photograph and signature. Click here to read about the suitable forms of identification.

I did this in October at the Toronto Police Services station at Yonge and College. I lined up for about 10 minutes, paid $25, showed my ID, and had my letter mailed to me within the week. I downloaded the form from the web site and filled it out before I went, but they also had forms there that you could fill out. No fingerprints. Very, very easy.

Karen

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Thanks for all the good info. Hubby got them done at the downtown location of the Toronto PD. Cost about $25 and no one was there so no waiting.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline
Thanks for all the good info. Hubby got them done at the downtown location of the Toronto PD. Cost about $25 and no one was there so no waiting.

Strange, it's pouring rain today in Toronto and when I got my Dad's done it was the same kind of weather. So this proves that you should only get police namechecks in Toronto during rainy days. :lol:

IR5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.