Carolyn

Adding husband to mortgage

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all,

I owned my house prior to meeting my husband. I've tried since this summer to figure out how to add him to the mortgage and/or title, but it seems ridiculously complicated (and nobody returns my call from my mortgage company).

I know that showing joint residency is important, but is is worth continuing to try to figure this out? I'm sure we have plenty of other proof...

I don't want to refinance (I have a great fixed rate mortgage). What are my options?

Why does this stuff have to be so complicated? Obviously we are married--can't they just come visit us?

Thanks for any insights,

Carolyn

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Don't think you want to do that. It would require a new loan, credit checks, etc. and a new Escrow with all the fees (title search, title policy). Plus he would have title to the house...not a smart idea t this stage.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

For immigration its it not necessary to add him to the mortgage or title. IDs with the same address (your driver's licence, his state ID or DL), mail with the same address, his pay stub with the home address will be more than enough. Just think of all the people who live in apartments! You won't have any problems.

For non immigration purposes, it might be easier to add him to only the title. I don't own a home. But a few years ago, I was researching it. And remember that its okay for the mortgage to be in one name and the title in both names. People do this when one person has a much better credit score and can get a better interest rate. I'm sure someone will come a long with the details.

As the poster before me mentioned...I don't think its a good idea for him to be on the title (espcially without the obligation of a mortgage) but I just wanted you to know it was possible.

Filed: Timeline

All you need to do is find a Notary or call an Escrow/Title company to help you and your spouse to complete a Quick Claim Deed for around $30.00. It just takes a few minutes. Then take the Quick Claim Deed to the County Records Department (you can do this yourself) and have them record the document with the original deed. This process can be completed in 1 day for about $50.00. Your spouse will now be on the deed. You do not need the mortage company for this.

"Adding husband to mortgage"

Hey, now there's something I hadn't thought of.... adding the cost of acquiring a foreign spouse to your mortgage!

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Hi all,

I owned my house prior to meeting my husband. I've tried since this summer to figure out how to add him to the mortgage and/or title, but it seems ridiculously complicated (and nobody returns my call from my mortgage company).

I know that showing joint residency is important, but is is worth continuing to try to figure this out? I'm sure we have plenty of other proof...

I don't want to refinance (I have a great fixed rate mortgage). What are my options?

Why does this stuff have to be so complicated? Obviously we are married--can't they just come visit us?

Thanks for any insights,

Carolyn

In some states, adding the spouse's name to the deed is redundant. Dower and curtesy laws still exist.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline
All you need to do is find a Notary or call an Escrow/Title company to help you and your spouse to complete a Quick Claim Deed for around $30.00. It just takes a few minutes. Then take the Quick Claim Deed to the County Records Department (you can do this yourself) and have them record the document with the original deed. This process can be completed in 1 day for about $50.00. Your spouse will now be on the deed. You do not need the mortage company for this.

You cant be serious. You file a QUIT claim on property that is in your name ....means, that you just gave up any claim that you may have to the title of that property.

There is no such thing as a QUICK Claim.

Edited by desert_fox

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline
For immigration its it not necessary to add him to the mortgage or title. IDs with the same address (your driver's licence, his state ID or DL), mail with the same address, his pay stub with the home address will be more than enough. Just think of all the people who live in apartments! You won't have any problems.

For non immigration purposes, it might be easier to add him to only the title. I don't own a home. But a few years ago, I was researching it. And remember that its okay for the mortgage to be in one name and the title in both names. People do this when one person has a much better credit score and can get a better interest rate. I'm sure someone will come a long with the details.

As the poster before me mentioned...I don't think its a good idea for him to be on the title (espcially without the obligation of a mortgage) but I just wanted you to know it was possible.

You cannot change the way the property is titled without permission of the lender, as they have a big say in this. The Title Deed is held by the TRUSTEE (Im sure that its a deed of trust that you have from a mortgage, as this is usually done).. You cant even get ahold of the deed of trust until released by the lender.

I have a great mortgage rate, so we didnt add Gary, seeing as the cost of refinancing, plus a higher rate. The AO did ask us why he wasnt on the mortgage, i told him how good my present rate was and he laughed and said i dont blame you! Like others have said, as long as you have enough other evidence you should be fine.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

You cant be serious. You file a QUIT claim on property that is in your name ....means, that you just gave up any claim that you may have to the title of that property.

There is no such thing as a QUICK Claim.

There is something called a QUIT CLAIM DEED. My ex husband and i used that when we divorced concerning the house and property.

Edited by garyandmarylou

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Timeline
There is something called a QUIT CLAIM DEED. My ex husband and i used that when we divorced concerning the house and property.

That is very typical in case of a divorce and the quick way to give up one's interest in real property.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

i didnt add my husband to the mortgage either. didnt want to have to do a new loan and also my interest rates were lower then now also. was going to put him on the deed but just never did. i hope some day we will sell this house and get one thats ours together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I refinanced my condo about 3 months after we were married. We found out it was extremely hard to do a mortgage with both our names because of his lack of credit history. It was best to just stick with mine. HOWEVER, it is the law in my state to have your spouse's name on the deed. We did that in the refinance.

I would think your best source of information would be to talk to the taxing entity and work from there.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.