lilysidiq

Must co-sponsor be related?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi,

We are just waiting on our K1 interview at the London embassy. We need a co-sponsor, as although my fiance has a good job, he was doing his MBA for two of the last three years so did not file tax returns. We would like to use a friend of ours in NYC, but he is not a relative. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to you all,

Lily

Timeline

Thanks Rebeccajo,

Its a relief to hear that. Can i just ask you how you know this? Is it posted on the US Embassy website for London? I only ask as I cannot find any written evidence for it anywhere, and would be even more relieved if I read it in black and white on their website lol!

lily

Filed: Other Timeline
Thanks Rebeccajo,

Its a relief to hear that. Can i just ask you how you know this? Is it posted on the US Embassy website for London? I only ask as I cannot find any written evidence for it anywhere, and would be even more relieved if I read it in black and white on their website lol!

lily

Anecdotal evidence only, lilysidiq. Sorry.

Just an idea if you are game to try it at London. You might want to have your fiance complete I134 with his new financial information including supporting documentation of his earnings and a cover letter from him explaining why he has no tax returns. London MAY accept the affidavit given he was a student.

If they don't, have the co-sponsor affidavit at the ready.

Edited by rebeccajo

Hi,

We are just waiting on our K1 interview at the London embassy. We need a co-sponsor, as although my fiance has a good job, he was doing his MBA for two of the last three years so did not file tax returns. We would like to use a friend of ours in NYC, but he is not a relative. Is this going to be a problem?

Lily

No, a co-sponsor does not have to be a relative.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Hi,

Lily

no, it's not a rule: the co-sponsor doesn't need to be related(although it could be possible)

.png

UURI.jpg

Timeline

Thanks Everyone.

I think we should be fine. Sidiq earns good money now, its just only been for the last year or so, but we want to gather all the co-sponsor info just to be sure, as I could do without multiple trips to the Embassy lol!

Lily

Filed: Other Timeline
Thanks Everyone.

I think we should be fine. Sidiq earns good money now, its just only been for the last year or so, but we want to gather all the co-sponsor info just to be sure, as I could do without multiple trips to the Embassy lol!

Lily

Oh no! I wasn't suggesting multiple trips at all! Sheesh, that'd be a nightmare - who want's to go in THAT ugly buidling more often than they have to!

I was merely suggesting you try doing it with just Sidiq's affidavit at first. You know - well prepared with verification via paystubs, employment letter, and cover letter - handed over the window to the CO by a sweetly smiling, polite YOU! :innocent:

I really think they will take it. But if they question it, you could be carrying the co-sponsor's affidavit in your back pocket....

...just a thought! I'm sure you'll be together soon whichever you choose!

thank you so much, that cheers me up ;-)....and i think we will be fine too, but we will have a co-sponsor for good measure...i have been to the US embassy before and i agree its not exactly Fun Central lol!

Lily

If his income his way above the 125% poverty level, you can skip a co-sponsor. If not, it is better to have a co-sponsor. It is also a good idea to get a letter from your co-sponsor (simply can state that you are known to him/her for a long time and he/she does not have any problem to be yoru co-sponsor) why he/she is doing it for you.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.