MichelleMcK

How do you call your Canadian?

71 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Darn. Now I want a pet to name Toque. :angry:

Nick kept calling them Torks...it was hilarious.

"I want to buy me a tork" :hehe:

Jeff kept calling them Tubes. :lol: But he bought himself one and he loves it. He even wore it yesterday and today, since the weather's been "cold" here.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Verizon wireless has a Nationwide plus Canada plan. Free long distance calling to anywhere in the US and Canada. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...t&catId=930 We have been on it for a long time. No roaming charges in either country. I think they now offer it in a family plan so you could get one for your fiance in Canada too.

I was going to say this too. I have two friends who live in Canada and both call me through verizon.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a question... I use Skype to call my fiance in Canada, but I want to find some way to have unlimited minutes to call him on my cell phone.

I have Cintular, and I'm willing to pay a monthly fee.. but I don't know if this is possible. I don't want to pay the 19 cents a minute bull-sh*t.

Does anyone have this with their cell phone provider?

Thank you

I'm here in Spokane and have a package through Comcast which includes unlimited long distant calling to Canada and within the U.S. any day, any time

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No Roaming charges?! Really? Can anyone double-confirm this? It doesn't say anything about roaming charges on the website. I assumed that they got you for roaming charges in Canada but not long distance on this plan.

Verizon wireless has a Nationwide plus Canada plan. Free long distance calling to anywhere in the US and Canada. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...t&catId=930 We have been on it for a long time. No roaming charges in either country. I think they now offer it in a family plan so you could get one for your fiance in Canada too.

Timeline

few yrs ago when Istil resided in the USA, we had our cell phones through USA AT&T, and we had the canada package and there was no roaming fees, just ur regular $$ for the package. Was free minutes evenings and weekends.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline
No Roaming charges?! Really? Can anyone double-confirm this? It doesn't say anything about roaming charges on the website. I assumed that they got you for roaming charges in Canada but not long distance on this plan.

Cingular/AT&T hits you up for roaming charges. I'd be interested in looking into switching to Verizon if they don't have them. (As long as they have GSM.)

iagree.gif

Timeline

I tried to get the verizon plan about a year ago, but the verizon person said that they had discontinued it-people that already had the plan could continue it but no new ones. I'm very annoyed that that was apparently the wrong info. there are times when I'd really rather talk to someone who's commissioned cause at least they have some interested in getting me to buy something

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

Well, the Verizon website says free long distance, but it doesn't say anything about roaming, so I'm assuming that they're going to get you with those fees. The plan must have changed, they must not have been screwing enough people! I'm about to switch to AT&T from Verizon.

I tried to get the verizon plan about a year ago, but the verizon person said that they had discontinued it-people that already had the plan could continue it but no new ones. I'm very annoyed that that was apparently the wrong info. there are times when I'd really rather talk to someone who's commissioned cause at least they have some interested in getting me to buy something

Timeline

THIS PLAN IS excuse the phrase THE BOMB!!!!

I've had it for years, I even have a family share plan so that hubby has the other phone AND the kicker is that minutes between our phones count as IN NETWORK even the text messages aaaaaaannnnnnnddddd

HE GET A LOCAL NUMBER so that even if I'm at work I can call him on a local telephone number. The only down side is that the night and weekend minutes are limited to 1000 instead of the normal verion Unlimited night and weekends.

I also have a verizon home phone which gives me unlimited long distance U.S. and Canada.

I have never had roaming charges in Canada, but I stay in the cities...I know that in smaller towns the service is supposedly limited.

Well, the Verizon website says free long distance, but it doesn't say anything about roaming, so I'm assuming that they're going to get you with those fees. The plan must have changed, they must not have been screwing enough people! I'm about to switch to AT&T from Verizon.

The plan--when you were talking about was the "North America's choice plan" it has been changed and renamed to America's Choice + Canada. Originally it included Mexico, but because of some issues they had to scrap the plan and rename it to only include Canada....sis is a Verizon rep in addition to my years on the old plan and now this one. . .

I am telling you that in FOUR YEARS I've NEVER had roaming charges on my Verizon Canada plans. . . .

No, never have had roaming charges and I use it in from Canada all the time and being that we live so close to the border we are often end up roaming off a Canadian tower even when we are in the states.

Well, the Verizon website says free long distance, but it doesn't say anything about roaming, so I'm assuming that they're going to get you with those fees. The plan must have changed, they must not have been screwing enough people! I'm about to switch to AT&T from Verizon
Actually, verizon also changed it so that we can get the North American/America's choice + Canada in a family plan. Previous to this it was only available as a individual plan.

Timeline

djc

when I was looking at the plan (sooo annoyed that I didn't/couldn't get it) it looked like verizon was hooked up with telus. which would have been perfect, cause telus it the only company that had cell phone coverage at the camp where the hubby worked last summer. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably because I asked about the plan in NM and they just assumed that I wanted to call Mexico. Or I was just really unlucky and called in the few days/weeks when the NA plan was going away but before the +Canada plan came in. If I didn't just get a new contract with t-mobile for the hubby and I...

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has a broadband phone through VOIP. He has both a local # and an edmonton #. The phone has a "follow me" option that will ring on his cell phone if no one answers his home phone. So he calls me and hangs up and I call him back and its a local call for me.

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

Timeline

Ooooooh, I am sooo annoyed. We never know when/if one of us will be in Canada for who knows how long, or if we go too far and start picking up the Canadian towers instead of the American ones. I was ready to switch to AT&T because I WANT AN IPHONE!!!!!!

Although. If I get the AT&T Family plan, it's $60 plus $20 data for the iphone = $80.

A Verizon, two person family Canada plan is $90.

Choices.... Choices....

djc

when I was looking at the plan (sooo annoyed that I didn't/couldn't get it) it looked like verizon was hooked up with telus. which would have been perfect, cause telus it the only company that had cell phone coverage at the camp where the hubby worked last summer. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably because I asked about the plan in NM and they just assumed that I wanted to call Mexico. Or I was just really unlucky and called in the few days/weeks when the NA plan was going away but before the +Canada plan came in. If I didn't just get a new contract with t-mobile for the hubby and I...

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This thread title always reminds me of that song from "Dirty Dancing" that starts out with the "How do you call your loverboy" part.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.