MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Do those of you who are muslim or ramadan sympathists (ie fasting with your husband) lose weight over the holiday? If I fasted all day I would definately lose weight than is when I do most of my eating. I think about yom kippur and we fast all day and after that I eat a few biscuit cookies and a brothy chicken soup and cant eat anymore so its not like I eat all of the calories at night. I know in mena people stay up all night and sleep all day so could do all of their eating at night but Im thinking most people here work during hte day so its only a limited period during the night, no? Just curious.

I am a ramadan sympathist. I usually lose a few pounds the first week of ramadan, but then gain it back before the month is over. In fact, I'm a little bit nervous about ramadan this year with my improved eating habits and exercise regimen.

I've fasted the last two years, and this has been my experience also. By the end of it all, I haven't lost anything. I don't stay up any later at night though. This year my husband will be working from about 4 pm - 2 am, and I'm worried about getting the munchies alone. I won't be walking during that month either. I've been planning to do exercise tapes an hour or so after breaking the fast, but I might try getting a day pass at the gym and doing some water aerobics. I don't know if I'd get too thirsty doing that before sundown or not.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
So was that 30 mintes 3 times a week or 30 minutes 7 days a week in the study?

30 minutes, 5 days a week is what has been recommended. The study suggested we need about twice that much, 275 minutes a week, which breaks down to 55 minutes, 5 days a week, to lose weight and keep it off. But that's moderate exercise, like walking.

link

I'm walking 35 minutes a day, 7 days a week, so I'm 30 minutes short for the week. I walk 7 days just to help me keep the momentum (and have a few extra calories to eat during the day :dance: ) but when I start strength training, I'll probably do that every other day.

Almost every day at the park, there's a group of 20-somethings (men and women) playing ultimate frisbee. They must do that most days. There's so much movement, I don't think those women have to do anything extra to keep the weight off. I'm not ready for ultimate frisbee, but there's also a disc golf course around the perimeter, and I was addicted to that a couple of years ago. That isn't aerobic enough for what I need right now, but I could tack some of that on after the walk. It's a great stress reliever.

Today I realized I could, in theory, reach my ultimate goal weight by my birthday, although I know weight loss tends to slow over time as the body adjusts. And I'm not going to cut calories severely because that doesn't work and because I want a plan I can live with. But it's good to see what's possible, at least on paper.

I'm the USC.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
So was that 30 mintes 3 times a week or 30 minutes 7 days a week in the study?

30 minutes, 5 days a week is what has been recommended. The study suggested we need about twice that much, 275 minutes a week, which breaks down to 55 minutes, 5 days a week, to lose weight and keep it off. But that's moderate exercise, like walking.

link

I'm walking 35 minutes a day, 7 days a week, so I'm 30 minutes short for the week. I walk 7 days just to help me keep the momentum (and have a few extra calories to eat during the day :dance: ) but when I start strength training, I'll probably do that every other day.

Almost every day at the park, there's a group of 20-somethings (men and women) playing ultimate frisbee. They must do that most days. There's so much movement, I don't think those women have to do anything extra to keep the weight off. I'm not ready for ultimate frisbee, but there's also a disc golf course around the perimeter, and I was addicted to that a couple of years ago. That isn't aerobic enough for what I need right now, but I could tack some of that on after the walk. It's a great stress reliever.

Today I realized I could, in theory, reach my ultimate goal weight by my birthday, although I know weight loss tends to slow over time as the body adjusts. And I'm not going to cut calories severely because that doesn't work and because I want a plan I can live with. But it's good to see what's possible, at least on paper.

wow, it sounds like you have some good plans :thumbs:

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

I've fasted the last two years, and this has been my experience also. By the end of it all, I haven't lost anything. I don't stay up any later at night though. This year my husband will be working from about 4 pm - 2 am, and I'm worried about getting the munchies alone. I won't be walking during that month either. I've been planning to do exercise tapes an hour or so after breaking the fast, but I might try getting a day pass at the gym and doing some water aerobics. I don't know if I'd get too thirsty doing that before sundown or not.

I'm very curious if the water areobics wil lhelp you stay a bit more hydrated. Let us know how it goes!

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline

I'm very curious if the water areobics wil lhelp you stay a bit more hydrated. Let us know how it goes!

I'll let you know in a few weeks. Swimming makes me crave spaghetti for some reason. :wacko: But I don't know about the hydration.

Now I have to figure out how many calories were in the dosa I had for lunch. :luv:

I'm the USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

link

So, then, hard cardio would be different, right? I probably do about 4.5 hours of exercise a week. Some of that is pretty good cardio. How long does that give you then to make your goal if you do it by your birthday? is that a total goal or a minigoal?

I would think you would get just as dehydrated. Swimming in a chlorinated pool actually dehydrates you.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

link

So, then, hard cardio would be different, right? I probably do about 4.5 hours of exercise a week. Some of that is pretty good cardio. How long does that give you then to make your goal if you do it by your birthday? is that a total goal or a minigoal?

I would think you would get just as dehydrated. Swimming in a chlorinated pool actually dehydrates you.

Yes, I got the impression that hard cardio would be different and that the article referred more to people who were significantly overweight, as I am, and trying to control it with walking or something similar, which is what doctors often tell us. I did once have a doctor tell me that if I walked briskly for an hour a day, every day, that I would never have to worry about my weight, and I think he was probably right about that.

My birthday is in May, and I'm setting my caloric intake to try to lose at a relatively slow, steady pace. I have quite a lot to lose (gained most of it in the last six years), and at this point, it helps me to set several minigoals based on BMI thresholds or on what I have weighed at certain times in the past, how I felt at that time, what I was able to do at that time. For example, at this time, I weighed approximately this amount, and I remember hiking this many miles to a waterfall or running up a couple flights of stairs. So that approximate weight is a minigoal because I can look forward to enjoying that kind of activity again when I reach that weight. It helps the ultimate goal feel a little less overwhelming.

I'm the USC.

Timeline

link

Yes, I got the impression that hard cardio would be different and that the article referred more to people who were significantly overweight, as I am, and trying to control it with walking or something similar, which is what doctors often tell us. I did once have a doctor tell me that if I walked briskly for an hour a day, every day, that I would never have to worry about my weight, and I think he was probably right about that.

My birthday is in May, and I'm setting my caloric intake to try to lose at a relatively slow, steady pace. I have quite a lot to lose (gained most of it in the last six years), and at this point, it helps me to set several minigoals based on BMI thresholds or on what I have weighed at certain times in the past, how I felt at that time, what I was able to do at that time. For example, at this time, I weighed approximately this amount, and I remember hiking this many miles to a waterfall or running up a couple flights of stairs. So that approximate weight is a minigoal because I can look forward to enjoying that kind of activity again when I reach that weight. It helps the ultimate goal feel a little less overwhelming.

wow, that is a really good idea for anyone! I wish you the best of luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

That's a good set of goals and a good plan. I was reading that site posted and looking at their "extreme fat loss" section. They were commenting on how everyone's body adjusts to reduced calories after a bit and plateaus... so best thing is to exercise more and keep calories higher and have a very steady, slow weight loss.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Hi all! My fiance is just waiting for his visa to be delivered and then I'll be booking a flight..I've got 2 maybe 3 weeks to lose as much as I can. I've gained around 20 lbs. since we last saw eachother :blush: Now I know eating right and exercise are the right way to do things but since I've waited until the last minute I'd really like to get a running start. Have any of you tried any of those cleanse diets or anything similar? I saw one recently I thought I might try. I think it's called the master cleanse diet. Sounds awful but I wonder if it works?

Timeline
Hi all! My fiance is just waiting for his visa to be delivered and then I'll be booking a flight..I've got 2 maybe 3 weeks to lose as much as I can. I've gained around 20 lbs. since we last saw eachother :blush: Now I know eating right and exercise are the right way to do things but since I've waited until the last minute I'd really like to get a running start. Have any of you tried any of those cleanse diets or anything similar? I saw one recently I thought I might try. I think it's called the master cleanse diet. Sounds awful but I wonder if it works?

Welcome! I hope your fiance arrives quickly and safely.

As for the cleanse diet, I've met people who really thought it was great, but I never tried it myself.

Timeline

I tried it a while back. In my case, I don't think I lost any fat with it, but I did lose a few pounds in water weight, and I felt better, possibly just from having a little less weight to carry around all day. It's supposed to flush toxins out of the body. I'm a little cautious with the extreme stuff because I haven't achieved longterm results, also witnessed a friend land in bed for a few days after trying something similar for a couple of weeks (she was prediabetic and didn't know it), and I wouldn't attempt it if I had any health issues. If you've got almost three weeks, my guess is you could make some noticeable progress in that time by cutting calories, getting daily exercise, and drinking a LOT of water. But good luck with whatever method you choose, and we'll be here to cheer you on. For what it's worth, I gained about 20 pounds between the time I last saw my husband and his arrival, and that weight was the last thing on our minds when we saw each other in the airport. :blush: But I do know how it is to want to feel and look your best when you welcome him home. Happy reunion!

I'm the USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think those fad diets are such a good idea. Gaining the weight back is almost inevitable and yo-yo'ing like that makes it that much harder to succeed in permanent weight loss in the future.

I ate very well over this past weekend! We had a wedding in the family and everyone was in from out of town, so there was lots of food to eaten and alcohol to be drank! Looking forward to getting back on the treadmill today...

Timeline
I don't think those fad diets are such a good idea. Gaining the weight back is almost inevitable and yo-yo'ing like that makes it that much harder to succeed in permanent weight loss in the future.

I ate very well over this past weekend! We had a wedding in the family and everyone was in from out of town, so there was lots of food to eaten and alcohol to be drank! Looking forward to getting back on the treadmill today...

A wedding, now there's a challenge! Congrats on handling it well.

I'm the USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.