MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know what you mean - but I try whenever I can especially now during the summer. I love them!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Lost in NY, I am so glad to hear your workout went well. The warm-up is definitely the hardest part (and waking up, lol). Keep the motivation up and you will be happy with the results.

I was so horrible last week and didn't work out in the morning, but I managed to get up and run 4 miles this morning. God, I was dragging in the beginning, but I had a couple run partners to keep me motivated. I think anytime you are going outside to walk or run it is a big help to have a partner.

I tried working out in the morning last Ramadan and, uh, to say the least, it is not easy. I ran 3 miles the second day into Ramadan and spent the rest of the day dying of thirst because I couldn't replace the water. I made it and didn't break my fast, but I decided running was out of the question if I was to make it the whole month. After that I kept the excercise to a minimum. Like I would get on a stationary bike for 20 minutes, do stretching or do the eliptical (sp?) machine. Nothing for too long and also wait awhile after you have sahur (your last meal before fasting). I made the mistake of trying to work out 30 minutes after eating and gulping water, that didn't go too well for me either. These are my recomendations for those that really want to try keeping some kind of routine going and still fast.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

S & S - thanks for sharing your recommendations on working out during Ramadan - I bet a lot of ladies will find your advice very helpful.

So the morning work out was a great experience - kept me going through the whole date and left me craving more. I had planned to go back home and do the second part of my work out - the strength & stretch but as always my planes have changed. I went out for lunch and the weather was just so gorgeous I decided that I should walk home from the city. To make a long story short I end up going to Sports Authority and finally purchased the pedometer I meant to get and then stopped at the Container Store and had enough - still did a good amount of walking so I feel good nonetheless - tomorrow is another day.

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Timeline
S & S - thanks for sharing your recommendations on working out during Ramadan - I bet a lot of ladies will find your advice very helpful.

So the morning work out was a great experience - kept me going through the whole date and left me craving more. I had planned to go back home and do the second part of my work out - the strength & stretch but as always my planes have changed. I went out for lunch and the weather was just so gorgeous I decided that I should walk home from the city. To make a long story short I end up going to Sports Authority and finally purchased the pedometer I meant to get and then stopped at the Container Store and had enough - still did a good amount of walking so I feel good nonetheless - tomorrow is another day.

Lost in NY, thats great that you are so motivated and you got a pedometer! I've been telling myself for years that I should get one of those. You are ahead of me there. Usually I end up just running for a set time and then going back with my car to measure the distance, lol. The pedometer would be a lot easier.

Today I did some squats :( I can barely walk my legs are so worn out!

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Lost in NY, thats great that you are so motivated and you got a pedometer! I've been telling myself for years that I should get one of those. You are ahead of me there. Usually I end up just running for a set time and then going back with my car to measure the distance, lol. The pedometer would be a lot easier.

Today I did some squats :( I can barely walk my legs are so worn out!

They really make all the difference - it is so great to have this track of your steps. When I was in Argentina last year, I walked so much each day just on normal trips downtown. I would have 14,000 steps after 3 hours of running errands around the city. It was unreal! :dance: Now, I'm a slug and I have to get my mojo back.

Timeline

Wadi and I were carrying the groceries upstairs last night and I was ahead of him and he was shocked by the muscles in my arms. I guess he hadn't really noticed since I'm not in the habit of flexing my muscles around the house.

I'm thinking it's not such a good thing though. I have a muscular/athletic type frame and I don't want to look manly.

Should I stop doing strength training and only do cardio and stretching?

Timeline
Wadi and I were carrying the groceries upstairs last night and I was ahead of him and he was shocked by the muscles in my arms. I guess he hadn't really noticed since I'm not in the habit of flexing my muscles around the house.

I'm thinking it's not such a good thing though. I have a muscular/athletic type frame and I don't want to look manly.

Should I stop doing strength training and only do cardio and stretching?

I think you might like pilates as a way to keep you long and lean.

Timeline

Yeah, I think that's a good idea! I had always thought that Pilates required expensive equipment, but after browsing a bit online I see that the fancy equipment is optional. Anyone have any good DVD recs for mat pilates?

Timeline

Yeah, I think that's a good idea! I had always thought that Pilates required expensive equipment, but after browsing a bit online I see that the fancy equipment is optional. Anyone have any good DVD recs for mat pilates?

Why not check out your local library to see if they have that Windsor Pilates workout - Daisy Fuentes always seemed to look really good. That way you can try a few without having to commit. :thumbs:

Edited by Staashi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I walked from my car to the building this morning! :thumbs:

Normally I wait for the shuttle since our parking lot is a good 10 minute walk to the building but this morning it was so nice out.

I hearby commit to walking to and from my car to the building. (did that sentence make sense?)

Unless it's snowy or rainy. :innocent:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
I walked from my car to the building this morning! :thumbs:

Normally I wait for the shuttle since our parking lot is a good 10 minute walk to the building but this morning it was so nice out.

I hearby commit to walking to and from my car to the building. (did that sentence make sense?)

Unless it's snowy or rainy. :innocent:

Good plan! :thumbs: And the exceptions are reasonable.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Great plan!

Good site, Jenn! I don't know if I would stop strength workouts. You're only going to get as buff as you have the testosterone for... and it is only magnified by the ammount of body fat you lose. Maybe less reps on your arms and more stretching. Stretching is the way to make yourself leaner.... you need to work on that I would think if you want to avoid some of the bulk. So pilates may be the way to go as a way to maintain some strength training and combine it with stretching. What are you doing for strength right now?

Well, I gained weight. At first I was depressed, won't lie about that! But I think it's 2-fold: 1) precycle gain and 2) I lost more inches so I think i may be having muscle gain.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.