chaishai

MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
What is the deal with running? All of the ellipticals were taken at the gym today, so I had to use the treadmill. According to the machine, I burned a significantly fewer number of calories than I do on the elliptical and I feel like I worked twice as hard.

Thats weird, it should have told you that you burned more - if you actually ran. If you walked you would burn more on the elliptical.

A nice way to start running is to do a run walk type approach. so 1 min on, 2 min off then work your way to 2 min on 2 min off, then 2 min on, 1 min off, 3 min on, 1 min off. eventually you can work your way up so that you can run a full 20 min without stopping. my experience is running burns the MOST calories and i lose the most weight when i incorporate it somewhere at least weekly.

I dunno, maybe I entered the wrong weight by accident. I do 4 min at 4 mph and then 6 min at 6 mph for a half hour and I burned only 200 calories. The same amount of time with similar intensity intervals on the elliptical I burn about 350.

I hope the elliptical is free tomorrow, I hate the treadmill. :angry:

jenn i have done the same sort of interval you did and burned over 300 cals. Were you really sweating? there is no way that was only 200. Dont go by that. What you did was awesome and burned WAY more than the elliptical. Another good approach is to do treadmill for 10, elliptical for 10 and bike for 10. because you are only doing 10 on each and each is "easier" you will do it with more emphasis because you feel like you are getting a break....

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
What is the deal with running? All of the ellipticals were taken at the gym today, so I had to use the treadmill. According to the machine, I burned a significantly fewer number of calories than I do on the elliptical and I feel like I worked twice as hard.

Thats weird, it should have told you that you burned more - if you actually ran. If you walked you would burn more on the elliptical.

A nice way to start running is to do a run walk type approach. so 1 min on, 2 min off then work your way to 2 min on 2 min off, then 2 min on, 1 min off, 3 min on, 1 min off. eventually you can work your way up so that you can run a full 20 min without stopping. my experience is running burns the MOST calories and i lose the most weight when i incorporate it somewhere at least weekly.

I dunno, maybe I entered the wrong weight by accident. I do 4 min at 4 mph and then 6 min at 6 mph for a half hour and I burned only 200 calories. The same amount of time with similar intensity intervals on the elliptical I burn about 350.

jenn i have done the same sort of interval you did and burned over 300 cals. Were you really sweating? there is no way that was only 200. Dont go by that. What you did was awesome and burned WAY more than the elliptical. Another good approach is to do treadmill for 10, elliptical for 10 and bike for 10. because you are only doing 10 on each and each is "easier" you will do it with more emphasis because you feel like you are getting a break....

Oh yeah, I was definitely sweating! Thanks for the reassurance...maybe I won't write the treadmill off just yet.

I like that idea of switching it up! Might give that a try today in fact...

Timeline

I started the Biggest Loser diet a week ago and have been pretty good with it. I don't weigh myself because of a long standing fear of scales but my clothes are fitting different so I think that's a plus!!!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Oh yeah, I was definitely sweating! Thanks for the reassurance...maybe I won't write the treadmill off just yet.

I like that idea of switching it up! Might give that a try today in fact...

I did elliptial for years and never had significant progress. Progress but not BIG progress. I started running doing the intervals i mentioned on the treadmill and weight started dropping and I started toning up quickly. I have worked with three different trainers in the past and two of them (i never discussed it with the first one) both said it is a very good way to lose weight. I almost feel like on days when I do elliptical that it is a waste of time! Especially since I was able to do it for an hour the week before i gave birth (I was trying to get the baby out lol). My trainer now has me doing intervals of running at 6.0-6.2 for a few mins and then a few mins at 4.2-4.4 but with the incline 100% up (its called "trekking"). you twist side to side as you trek, it also really works your core. So after a few mins of trekking you cant wait to stop and run again, and after a few mins of running you cant wait to slow down and trek again. The end result is you basically trekked for 10-15 mins and ran for 10-15 mins, getting an amazing cardio workout but you didnt have the daunting feeling of UGH i have to do this for 29 more minutes?

Timeline
I'm on a detour. :whistle:

nooo! you have to get back on track. its too easy to just give up when you have a few cheats. you can get right back on. this afternoon is a new afternoon! start this afternoon!

i ♥ spinning!

spinning is awesome. i feel like its all dependent on the instructor though

Timeline
I ate like every meal was my last this past week and I lost a pound.

:unsure:

It's because your you know what ended!

But way to go! Now you can get back on track! :D

I want to weigh myself, but I told myself I'd only weigh once a week. I'm feeling great though because I'm improving at my workouts - taking less time to get my heart rate down, I can go a bit faster, and a bit longer too. Seeing something on the scale would be an added bonus though!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I ate like every meal was my last this past week and I lost a pound.

:unsure:

It's because your you know what ended!

But way to go! Now you can get back on track! :D

I want to weigh myself, but I told myself I'd only weigh once a week. I'm feeling great though because I'm improving at my workouts - taking less time to get my heart rate down, I can go a bit faster, and a bit longer too. Seeing something on the scale would be an added bonus though!

Actually it never started and I'm starting to believe in immaculate conception. :blink: My bra size has increased a full size but I lost a pound. :unsure:

With your workouts you may possibly not see any change this week because you're building muscle but that's still good because muscle burns fat faster!!!! :dance:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Holy #######! I tried chaishai's advice about switching up running and trekking on the treadmill. I am soooo not ready for that. I think I pulled an a$$ muscle. :cry:

:lol: that just sounded funny.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.