lostpup

Obtaining a Police Certificate and Interview Date in London

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello All, :help:

My fiance finally received her info packet from the London consulate right before the holidays. (I'm guessing from reading a few posts that VJers refer to this as Packet 3?). As we review the paperwork that's needed, a couple things remain unclear...or rather, we're wondering what other experienced visa recipients have done.

1) Has anyone been able to contact (via phone or email) the UK consulate directly and request a specific interview date? If so, please let us know the number or email address you used. OR is your interview date only determined by the consulate once the applicant has returned all of the requested documentation?

2) re: the police certificate. How long exactly have applicants waited to receive their police certificates from the Metropolitan Police? We've read differing opinions and the Metropolitan police website says "no more than 40 days". How accurate is this? Is this business days or calendar days? Has anyone received one any sooner? We're trying to plan her travel to the US and want to think as proactively as possible.

3) Is form 3019b the correct form? This is the form which provides information held on the Police National Computer (PNC) about you provided by the National Identification Service (NIS).

4) Has anyone ever mailed the police form application instead of requesting it in person?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Lost Pup

-----------------

K1 Timeline!

06-22-07 Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

06-25-07 Received NOA1

11-14-07 NOA2 processed

11-21-07 National Visa Center received

11-28-07 Application forwarded to London Consulate

12-03-07 London Consulate received

12-06-07 Packet 3 Received

01-16-08 Send completed packet 3

02-05-08 Packet 4 Received

02-13-08 Fantastic London Consulate Interview

02-18-08 K-1 Visa Received!!

02-28-08 US Entry at JFK

03-03-08 Married at City Hall

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline!

03-04-08 Sent packet to Chicago Lockbox Address

04-11-08 NOA received

05-06-08 Biometrics Appt for I485/RFE#1 Received

05-19-08 Sent RFE#1 Info

06-11-08 Case transferred to CSC

07-07-08 EAD and AP received

10-21-08 RFE#2 received for I485

11-19-08 Medical Examination I-693 redone and sent to CSC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Hello All, :help:

My fiance finally received her info packet from the London consulate right before the holidays. (I'm guessing from reading a few posts that VJers refer to this as Packet 3?). As we review the paperwork that's needed, a couple things remain unclear...or rather, we're wondering what other experienced visa recipients have done.

1) Has anyone been able to contact (via phone or email) the UK consulate directly and request a specific interview date? If so, please let us know the number or email address you used. OR is your interview date only determined by the consulate once the applicant has returned all of the requested documentation?

2) re: the police certificate. How long exactly have applicants waited to receive their police certificates from the Metropolitan Police? We've read differing opinions and the Metropolitan police website says "no more than 40 days". How accurate is this? Is this business days or calendar days? Has anyone received one any sooner? We're trying to plan her travel to the US and want to think as proactively as possible.

3) Is form 3019b the correct form? This is the form which provides information held on the Police National Computer (PNC) about you provided by the National Identification Service (NIS).

4) Has anyone ever mailed the police form application instead of requesting it in person?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Lost Pup

1 - you are able to contact the embassy direct (some searching will find the number!) although calling the DOS line is cheaper and they have the same info. You aren't able to set your own interview time/date - just gotta wait in line and hope that they give you a nice date!

2 - Order the police certificate ASAP. this does take up to 40 days to get (mine was about 35, inc weekends) but once you have it it is good for a year

3 - not sure

4 - i mailed in a request, with a £10cheque, and it was with me within the 40days. I think i got the forms off the met's website

Good Luck!

:time::thumbs:

Edited by ddkm

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

That's the right form but it's more commonly known as the 'Subject Access' form.

Gillian

A minor note, but your fiancee should obtain her police certificate from the Met ONLY if she lives or has ever lived in the London area. If she hasn't, she needs to obtain it from her local constabulary.

Also, anecdotal evidence seems to show that it almost always takes around 40 days to receive the certificate. Don't forget that 40 days is counted from the date on the receipt the police will post back to you, and not from the date you actually post it to them. And ditto on what ddkm says about calling the Embassy -- it's cheaper to call the Dept of State and they seem to have exactly the same information as the visa info line based in Scotland. When you return your readiness for interview checklist, it might be useful to put down any dates you are not available for interview, or if you have a genuine need to be in the US by a certain date. London tries to work with applicants who have made concrete plans like a wedding with non-refundable deposit. But nope, you can't ask for a certain date.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Don't forget that 40 days is counted from the date on the receipt the police will post back to you, and not from the date you actually post it to them.

And that normally takes a good 10 days to two weeks as a rule. I always say allow 2 months for the police certificate - just to be sure.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Dear All,

Thanks so much for the great input. We hurried up and mailed the police form off today and are planning to finish the rest of the Packet3 forms tomorrow! :thumbs:

Best,

Lost Pup

-----------------

K1 Timeline!

06-22-07 Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

06-25-07 Received NOA1

11-14-07 NOA2 processed

11-21-07 National Visa Center received

11-28-07 Application forwarded to London Consulate

12-03-07 London Consulate received

12-06-07 Packet 3 Received

01-16-08 Send completed packet 3

02-05-08 Packet 4 Received

02-13-08 Fantastic London Consulate Interview

02-18-08 K-1 Visa Received!!

02-28-08 US Entry at JFK

03-03-08 Married at City Hall

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline!

03-04-08 Sent packet to Chicago Lockbox Address

04-11-08 NOA received

05-06-08 Biometrics Appt for I485/RFE#1 Received

05-19-08 Sent RFE#1 Info

06-11-08 Case transferred to CSC

07-07-08 EAD and AP received

10-21-08 RFE#2 received for I485

11-19-08 Medical Examination I-693 redone and sent to CSC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.