Quebec man sells snowbank for $3,550

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quebec man sells snowbank for $3,550

Last Updated: Monday, December 31, 2007 | 12:34 PM ET

The Canadian Press

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20.../snow-bank.html

After sifting through a couple of phoney offers, a Quebec man found a buyer willing to snap up his snowbank for a cool $3,550.

Michel Lévesque, who put his snowbank up for auction on eBay, thought he had unloaded the imposing mound on Saturday.

But the top bid turned out to be a prank, said Lévesque, who planned to donate his earnings to a local youth organization.

When the second-highest bidder also declined to buy the pile, he called Sophie Rouillier, whose $3,000 offer was No. 3.

Rouillier and husband, Claude Fraser, jumped at the chance, and, with the help of their three children, dug up another $550.

"It's a snowbank like any other one, but it's the fact of giving a donation.… It's not really for the snowbank," Rouillier said on Sunday, as she stood next to her frosty heap in front of Lévesque's house.

She said her family was so thrilled with the purchase that her children decided to break their piggy banks to help match the top bid.

The Longueuil, Que., family donates money to different organizations every year, but never more than a few hundred dollars, she said.

But Rouillier said they got caught up in the flurry of media excitement that followed the auction, and kept increasing their offer until it hit $3,000.

"If other people can be encouraged by all of this enthusiasm, it will be great," she said.

"We're going to bring our shovels and bring the snow home," she said. "We're going to put it on our lawn so the kids can play in it. Of course, we have a snowbank also, but it's not as high as this one."

The Montreal area was pounded by two snowstorms in recent weeks, which helped build the giant bank on Lévesque's front yard, in Saint-Eustache, just north of the city.

Lévesque said the snowbank auction started off as a joke, but interest in the heap quickly snowballed.

He was shocked to see the bids roll in.

"It's good news, everyone's happy," Levesque said. "All's well that ends well."

On Sunday, he said the snowbank was dirtier than when he first photographed it a couple of weeks ago, but contends the Rouillier family has made a quality purchase.

"It melted a bit, but it's still at a noticeable height," Levesque said of the two-metre mound.

"It's not an extraordinary snowbank, but it's a nice snowbank."

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

wow, I'm sorry I missed that auction. I could use a nice sized snowbank here in North Carolina! ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Only in Canada indeed! :lol:

My favourite line:

"It's not an extraordinary snowbank, but it's a nice snowbank."

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.