Carlawarla

Banking in Canada - Please leave in Cdn. Forum, Thanks

24 posts in this topic

I know we've talked lots here about keeping our bank account in Canada open. Especially true for those receiving EI, pensions, paying bills/loans, and using custom house. I did get a letter however last week from RBC, saying they're reviewing their records and note that my address is an out of country residence. (Duh, I changed it after I moved...) They want me " we need to confirm if this is permanent address change or temporary. Kindly notify the writer of your residency status."

Very interesting...

They make it sound like if I'm living here, then I maybe can't have this bank account? Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Has anyone else received such a letter? I'm thinking that until AT LEAST I"m a US citizen (dual), if AT ALL, I shouldn't tell them I"m here permamently. I'm concerned about keeping my Cdn. Visa card as well. I have a $20,000.00 limit on it, and I want that credit card for when I'm travelling in Canada. Well, my bank account as well. I sent my kids money for Christmas, and just wrote a cheque on my Canadian account. I don't want to lose the convenience of having an account.

Anyway, please let me know your experiences, and if you don't have any, what you might think I should do.

I should let them know fairly soon.

Thanks!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Bonjour Carlawarla,

I'm am no expert, but from what I understand of the financial world you can have a bank account anywhere.

I have never lived in the U.S. and have had an account there for a few years.

I hated exchanging money back in the day, hence...

So why not just call them and ask a few questions.

I have always had super kind people to talk with when calling the RBC.

Hang on a few more days and maybe a VJer might know more.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Back in 2004 I called presidents choice and asked about leaving my acct open in Canada, while I resided in the USA. They said no,they don't allow that! I didnt make any further inquiries, I just changed my address to my parents in Stoon! After 6 months they do put a"freeze" on the acct due to inactivity, but I just have to phone, and they "unfreeze" it.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

couldnt you just add one of your parents names onto the account and allow them to allocate funds or just move around money in the account so it doesnt freeze due to inactivity? btw.. how many cups have the flames won? :P oilers ftw

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Timeline

A simple 30 second phone call un freezes it!! I keep like $1.00 in the acct so Im not that concerned! I leave my bank card with my parents as well, so if i do get any Cdn cheques I mail the cheques to them for deposit.

I was an Oilers fan then they traded away Gretzky! I do call the Flames my team, but overall I prefer a good game more than anything else. Many thanks for the Oilers for keeping the cellar warm this year. lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't received a letter like that from RBC, well not yet anyways. And I have had it in my American address for almost 3 years. They send me my monthly statement all the time no problems. I will be interested to see if I get one of those letters as well. RBC has been great to work with all along, I am sure if you contact them they can help you clear it up.

My parents deposit money in it all the time, maybe the next time I am home I will inquire and see if it would be prudent to have them added to my account.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Derek still has his RBC account, VISA and a line of credit and for the 2 years that he has been here they have not had a problem with his address being in the US. So I would think that they really just want to verify your address, not trying to close your accounts. Like you, that VISA comes in handy when we go back to Montreal!

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I still have an account at TDCanada Trust. I met with them before I moved to set up accounts I could access through online banking and notified them I was relocating to the States. They send me my statements every month and I have never had a problem. I might write 2 or 3 cheques a year on the account.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I don't bank with RBC, however a call will probably clear it up.

I was just looking at their website and found information on a U.S. account with them - the RBC access U.S.A. account. They can pull your Canadian credit rating as well for mortgages etc, so this sounds interesting! Plus they have branches in Florida. I think I will be giving them a call.

Timeline

We haven't gotten anything from CIBC since the hubby changed his address with them (3 months ago). but when I immigrated to Canada a few years ago, I had my visa taken away from me-well actually I told them to take it away because they were going to make it a secured card and keep $500 from my account that I'd never be able to access as security. They said that since I was leaving the US they would have not recorse to get money from me if I decided to skip the bill. I never had to have a secured card when I was first establishing credit, I thought that there was no reason to have one as an adult.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I kpet my bank account open in Canada but before I moved here I added my mom to my account and used her address on the account... so my mom can take care of stuff with my account etc....

my mom likes it because she when she wants to send me money she just deposits it into my account and I just withdraw it down here using my ATM card...

my bank account is inactive most of the time and they never have frozen it.... I do just have a savings account open... I shut down the chequing because they were taking a service charge each month regardless of if there was activity or not with the savings they just take a service charge out if there has been activity... :thumbs:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

The RBC probably wants to verify that you have taken up residence in the US to change your account to a "non-resident" account. They will issue you a tax receipt for any interest earned at the year end for your taxes. There should be no problem what so ever keeping your RBC account. I have my RBC account and know of many US residents that have a accounts with the RBC banks along the many border towns.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Joel has an RBC account...no problems so far. There are RBC branches in the States...there's the huge building in Atlanta and a few branches down around Atlanta as well. His mom can deposit money in his acct and he banks online, still has his RBC Visa card and debit card. He's used his debit card down here too, no problems.

Hope you get it all sorted out. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.