*julez*

The 2008 United Kingdom Interview Thread!

2,529 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Had my interview YESTERDAY! Not part of this thread but still wanted to say my visa was APPROVED!!!! :dance:

Not a scary experience AT ALL. Consulate offical asked me only THREE questions and one piece of paperwork needed an addititional signature but I was still granted the visa pending the return of the signed document.

My advice would be to:

1.Go a bit earlier than your appointment as the queues are MASSIVE. :angry:

2.Organise your paperwork - ensure all documents are fully completed as this may hinder issuing the VISA.

3.Don't be in a rush to leave as this a lengthy process - a lot of time spent waiting to be called, either for checking documents or the interview itself

4.Relax during the interview as there is nothing to be scared of - my interviewer was lovely!

GOOD LUCK to those waiting! This whole lengthy and nail biting experience is worth it!

:thumbs:

Edited by suizie

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats Ronan & Mercedes, coatsy and suizie!

Debbie & Barry

K-1 Timeline:

10-29-2007 Sent I 129-F to CSC

10-31-2007 I 129-F received CSC 9:48 AM

11-02-2007 NOA-1

11-07-2007 check cashed!

11-09-2007 NOA-1 hard copy received

3-11-08 RFE

3-17-08 RFE received by mail

3-22-08 RFE reply sent from England

4-09-08 RFE received CSC case resumed

4-18-08 NOA2 by email (after 172 days)

4-24-08 NOA2 hard copy

5-01-08 NVC received

5-02-08 case forwarded to US Embassy London

5-07-08 received by London Embassy

5-08-08 Packet 3 sent from Embassy

5-15-08 Packet 3 mailed recorded delivery

5-21-08 Packet 3 received US Embassy London

6-02-08 Medical

6-13-08 packet 4 received

7-01-08 Interview London Embassy Approved!

7-04-08 Visa in hand! hurray!

7-13-08 POE Cleveland, OH

9-23-08 (AOS package sent)

9-29-08 NOA received I-485, I-131, I-765

10-21-08 biometrics appt

12-12-08 EAD and AP received by mail!

2-04-2009 AOS approved!

2-12-2009 card received

11-05-2010 I-751 mailed to CSC

11-08-2010 received CS, NOA1 date

12-20-10 biometrics

02-09-11 ROC approved

02-14-11 Greencard received!

Thanks guys,

And well done Suizie.

R

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
You know the story about the young man who arrives in London, it's raining so he goes for one pint in a great pub with great music and company, decent beer, a log fire? Well, gather round and I'll tell thee. The young man in question, his fiance, his sister and her fiancee go to the pub at 4pm, promising to leave by 6pm. Or rather, they say they're going to leave at 6pm but time slips away and they find it's 1am, they are all pretty drunk and have to get up at 6am for a rather important interview. Well, folks, that foolish young man was me.

And so it was, Mercedes and I arrived for the 9am interview at around 8.30am, took our place in the line, hung-over and on about 4 hours of sleep .... which is something I don't recommend. At 9.01am we made it into the embassy, got our ticket (Mercedes came into the Embassy with me) ... Welcome Ticket 5018. And we waited. And waited. And waited.

The waiting room was awash with people and while they were flying through the 1000's, only Windows 1 and 13 were dealing with immigrant visa - the 5000's. I thought I'd get Window 13 for sure but my luck held and, two hours later, I got called to Window 1, huge grin across my face.

The Homeland Security lady was an Asian woman and the more I spoke with her the more I thought she was the Asian doctor from Bentnick mansion's mother. You all know what I mean. She spoke quietly and abruptly through glass, not at you but into the table, and the PA is blasting "Could Ticket number ..." in the background. It doesn't make for a relaxing chat ...

She looked over my documents in the following order ... divorce certificate, police record, birth certificate, finances. She looked at Mercedes' Affidavit of Support and said it was below poverty level (she is full-time student) so I showed her Mercedes' mom's additional support and then my own - house deeds, estate agents letter, letter from bank, etc. After some confusion about where the bank deeds were ("They are there ... in your hand"), she asked if I wanted to self-sponsor and I said "Sure". She said the dates that I gotten wrong on previous visits didn't matter and actually said I had a very interesting education and career ... which she thought was admirable.

Then she brought up the issue of my previous green-card - gulp. She had my original visa application - 13 years later I was shocked to see that - in my file and asked my why I didn't just stay then. I told her the reasons - first she smiled (kindly) when I told her about deaths in the family, then she seemed to get a bit peeved (the glass and noise makes it hard to read emotions) and said "just forget about it". She really did get annoyed that the finger print machine wouldn't read my prints, told me to go get my visa receipt and bring it back to her, gave me my chest x-ray and then sent me back to wait, grin wiped off my face.

By now I was worried. I didn't think it had gone well and seeing the old green-card made me suddenly aware that this wasn't just a formality - this could all go horribly wrong.

It about 15 minutes later I got called to Window 16 (only 16 and 15 were doing 5000s) and I was expecting the worse, as you do ... or as I do anyway. The second interview was conducted by a cool American guy who, shock horror, apologised that I had to wait for so long which instantly relaxed me.

He made me swear I was telling the truth in my submission and I duly obliged. He then asked me how I met Mercedes and that was the end of the interrogation. We talked a little about my work (but not in an official capacity, just out of interest really I guess) and then he said that, pending security checks, the visa would be issued in 3-5 working days and that we were already on day 1. I told him that he had just made two people very happy and he said that that was good to hear. With that I went and paid the courier service and we were out of there at 11.42. Job done.

For those of you still in the process, the approval comes so fast it's like you're jumping of a fair ride. You go from 150 RPM to 0 in a split second ... it's all over so quick that it leaves your head reeling and 24 hours later it still hasn't sunk in ... I guess I'll believe it when I get my passport back.

So there you have it. 8 months of worry, 3 hours to conclude. If I never see a DS-230-Part 1 again it will be too soon. Until AOS that is, then the whole crazy ride begins again. Now, on AOS form I-864 Question Six, do I leave that blank or what? Lol.

R

Congrats again, your experience was very simular to mine, I found that when you go round the corner to the American Officers they are so nice and friendly.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

Congratulations to all the approvals!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

The Homeland Security lady was an Asian woman and the more I spoke with her the more I thought she was the Asian doctor from Bentnick mansion's mother. You all know what I mean. She spoke quietly and abruptly through glass, not at you but into the table, and the PA is blasting "Could Ticket number ..." in the background. It doesn't make for a relaxing chat ...

:lol: Oh dear!! Surely there can't be two of them!?

Well done matey - and well done to all the other approvees as well!!!

I can totally relate to the 150-0 in a second feeling. I was elated yet felt strangely empty when I got approved - SO happy that this part was over but kinda empty because this thing we have been stressing over for so long... just isn't really in your life anymore. I mean - it's like all the weight of the world has been lifted from your shoulders and you kind of float around with seemingly no direction.

Then I got my passport and my visa back. I was sooooooo happy. 24 hours later though I was $h1tting myself :lol:

And still am!! But a bit more excited now :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline

:lol: Oh dear!! Surely there can't be two of them!?

Well done matey - and well done to all the other approvees as well!!!

I can totally relate to the 150-0 in a second feeling. I was elated yet felt strangely empty when I got approved - SO happy that this part was over but kinda empty because this thing we have been stressing over for so long... just isn't really in your life anymore. I mean - it's like all the weight of the world has been lifted from your shoulders and you kind of float around with seemingly no direction.

Then I got my passport and my visa back. I was sooooooo happy. 24 hours later though I was $h1tting myself :lol:

And still am!! But a bit more excited now :lol:

lol Jeraly too funny

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

But it's true!!!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline

Congratulations everyone

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Then I got my passport and my visa back. I was sooooooo happy. 24 hours later though I was $h1tting myself

This might help you Jeraly ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNP8AMwMwWc

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Congratulations Eli (the Barrowboy)! Thank you for your detailed write-up; it's very informative. :)

Congratulations too to Suizie!

I hope you both have your visas in hand very soon. :thumbs:

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline

I want my visa too, waiting for my ct scan appointment :(

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I want my visa too, waiting for my ct scan appointment :(

*hugs* I know it's probably impossible but try not to worry too much. You will get through this!

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.