shikarnov

Engagement Rings

168 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
If she thinks that's a frivolous expense, wait till she gets to the US. By Russian standards, almost our entire country is frivolous.

Well as you probably well know, the Russian woman's sense of what's frivolous is a bit subjective. A $2 cab ride at 1am is frivolous, whereas a 17th pair of red high heel shoes is an absolute necessity. I could go on, but I don't think it's necessary in this group. :D

Someone awhile back posted that if you give a Russian woman a dollar, she'll make it last a week, but give her a hundred dollars and it'll be gone before you can bat an eye. I nearly broke my neck nodding like a bobblehead doll. :lol:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

That is sooooo true. :lol:

Someone awhile back posted that if you give a Russian woman a dollar, she'll make it last a week, but give her a hundred dollars and it'll be gone before you can bat an eye. I nearly broke my neck nodding like a bobblehead doll. :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Why don't you propose to her with the ring but take it back home with you.....she'll know why you did it. Don't risk her being the victim......i would never trust with the ring like that back in Russia/Ukraine.

And i am sure no one cares whether she has the ring of not on the interview. Engagement rings are only common in USA so it's not a big deal there.

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Timeline

As far as I know, an engagement ring is not part of the Russian tradition so I saw no need to "impose" my culture on her.

:)

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

However, this is changing. More and more Russian women are hoping (not expecting) for one if they have a Western fiancé. They've all seen enough Hollywood movies to know our tradition is to give one. Just be warned! :)

As far as I know, an engagement ring is not part of the Russian tradition so I saw no need to "impose" my culture on her.

Edited by Kazan' Tiger

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
However, this is changing. More and more Russian women are hoping (not expecting) for one if they have a Western fiancé. They've all seen enough Hollywood movies to know our tradition is to give one. Just be warned! :)

Obviously you are correct, but the truth is they see a lot of our traditions and customs on the big-screen.

Seems some Russian woman have no problem embracing the ones which come with a sparkle.... before they even get here.

Certainly in time the traditions will blend, I am looking forward to this as is she.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Russia makes some of the best "fake" diamonds in the world. I have an American friend who swears you can't tell the difference without high tech analysis. For about $600 you can get a 1.5 carat 'diamond" that looks impressive with a nice gold setting.

Anyway, my wife wears her ring but she is sometimes afraid and hides it underneath her finger. (BTW, it's a real diamond).

The thing about diamonds is simila r to autos...you pay a lot up front but the value drops very quickly. A $10,000 ring might only bring $3000 on resale. I don't know about Russia but in theUSA diamonds are a lousy investment.

The way they tell these diamonds are not the real deal is because they are too perfect. Absolutely no imperfections in the clarity. That is starting to change though. In the end, they are all made from the same material (carbon). If Debeers dumped their entire stock of diamonds on the market, they would be worthless. Women still want them though. :whistle:

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Filed: Timeline

My girl absolutely flipped when I gave her an engagement ring. She didn't mind me imposing my culture on her at all. :)

Timeline

I know what you mean-!!! :yes::lol:

My girl absolutely flipped when I gave her an engagement ring. She didn't mind me imposing my culture on her at all. :)

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The ring wasn't (and still isn't) a big deal to my wife either. Yes, she was very happy to recieve it, but even in America she doesn't wear it around all the time. Its part culture, and part her personality, I think.

The ring really wasn't that expensive (especially by the standards of many of the men in this forum), and the diamond wasn't very big, but it still would stick out walking down the street in her city in Russia.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Timeline
The ring wasn't (and still isn't) a big deal to my wife either. Yes, she was very happy to recieve it, but even in America she doesn't wear it around all the time. Its part culture, and part her personality, I think.

The ring really wasn't that expensive (especially by the standards of many of the men in this forum), and the diamond wasn't very big, but it still would stick out walking down the street in her city in Russia.

My fiancee has a big Saphire engagement ring and wears it everyday in Omsk (large Siberian city) without fear. Granted, it is not a diamond ring, but according to her, Russian women are fond of jewelry and wear expensive jewelry all the time in Moscow and other large russian cities without fear. My personal experience is that Russian big city streets tend to be safer than American big city streets vis-a-vis crime. Indeed, I suspect that it is more likely that she would get mugged for her ring in the USA rather than Russia....... not that either event is statistically likely to happen.

RUS.GIFNatalia & BuckUS1.GIF

May 02, 2007 - Petition Mailed to Nebraska Service Center (and then transferred to California Service Center)

May 29, 2007 - NOA1: K1

Sep 19, 2007 - NOA2: K1

Nov 02, 2007 - NVC Received Petition from CSC

Dec 13, 2007 - NVC Processing Completed; Petition forwarded to Moscow Consulate

Mar 03, 2008 - Moscow Interview Date: VISA APPROVED

Mar 06, 2008 - VISA's received in Omsk

Mar 24, 2008 - USA Arrival; HALLELUJAH !!!!

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Jun 17, 2008 - AOS, EAD, AP Filed - Natalia & Artem (17 yr-old son)

Jun 23, 2008 - NOA1: AOS, EAD, AP - Natalia & Artem

July 15, 2008 - Biometrics: AOS, EAD - Natalia & Artem

DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED BY US ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DO THEY ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My fiancee has a big Saphire engagement ring and wears it everyday in Omsk (large Siberian city) without fear. Granted, it is not a diamond ring, but according to her, Russian women are fond of jewelry and wear expensive jewelry all the time in Moscow and other large russian cities without fear. My personal experience is that Russian big city streets tend to be safer than American big city streets vis-a-vis crime. Indeed, I suspect that it is more likely that she would get mugged for her ring in the USA rather than Russia....... not that either event is statistically likely to happen.

Perhaps I didn't say that right. Jewelry is quite common, obviously. Engagement rings are not. Obvious or otherwise, I never said she would get mugged.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have yet to hear about a Russian fiancee getting her engagement ring stolen by petty thieves on the street. So, I wouldn't worry too much about that happening. Why would a woman riding the subway or waiting for the bus have a 2ct diamond ring on? It's a fake, and therefore not worth stealing.

As for the C/O approving or denying the case based on an engagement ring, it's usually not even asked because it's assumed that there will be no engagement ring because it's not a Russian tradition. If even asked about (not) having one, all she has to say is you guys are waiting until you're married, as is tradition in Russia.

As far as a woman, any woman, not accepting a 2ct diamond ring.... I'll believe it when I see it. Sure, they may think it unnecessary or frivilous or could've used the money somwhere else, and even say they don't need one, but once they get it on that finger... you may have to wrestle them to get it off. Could be fun, who knows?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I went through the same agonizing decision. At the time, I had already worked and lived in Russia for 2 years. Beleive me, you have every right to be concerned about this. I settled on a 1/2 carat marquis cut. In your favor, NOBODY will believe it's real in Russia. Especially 2 carat!

By the way, she cried for 20 min. after I gave her the ring.

Good luck to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.