Ol D

Dual citizenship

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Our son was born in US, and he is a US citizen, as well as my husband.

I was thinking to apply for a second Russian citizenship for our son, because each time we will need to travel to Russia I will need to open a visa for him.

I did a little research on this and some airlines require having a notarized letter from other parent for children traveling with one parent. Did anyone have this experience? Do they still require having this letter in case our son will have a dual Russian citizenship?

I am a little concerned about a military service for all Russian males. Does our son still need to go to the Russian military even if he lives in US?

Thanks,

Olga

----------------------------------------------------------------

01/15/2004 Got Married in Russia, St.Petersburg

CR1

03/22/2004 mailed out I-130 app to CSC

03/24/2004 1st NOA; California

08/13/2004 Online status: Approved I-130 through CA

K-3

04/21/2004 Mailed out I-129f K3 packet to Missouri

04/28/2004 1st NOA; Missouri

11/03/2004 "touched"

11/04/2004 "touched"

11/05/2004 approved

11/08/2004 got 2NOA by mail

11/10/2004 NVC received and assigned a case#

11/17/2004 2NOA by email

11/18/2004 NVC forwards petition to Moscow

12/11/2004 received Packet 4 from Moscow

12/14/2004 Saw the interview date set on-line

NVC

08/16/2004 Received by NVC

09/13/2004 assigned a case#

09/28/2004 NVC sends I-864 & IV fee bills

10/19/2004 recieved I-864 & IV fee bills

10/22/2004 sent the I-864 & IV fee bills to NVC

10/24/2004 NVC got the I-864 & IV fee bills

11/12/2004 NVC entered I-864 & IV fee bills to their system

11/17/2004 recieved DS-230 and I-864 forms

12/7/2004 NVC entered DS-230&I-864 forms to their system

12/21/2004 NVC completed case review

12/28/2004 NVC forwards petition to Moscow

01/14/2005 recieved by Moscow consulate

02/10/2005 successful CR1 interview

I was thinking to apply for a second Russian citizenship for our son, because each time we will need to travel to Russia I will need to open a visa for him.

I did a little research on this and some airlines require having a notarized letter from other parent for children traveling with one parent. Did anyone have this experience? Do they still require having this letter in case our son will have a dual Russian citizenship?

I am a little concerned about a military service for all Russian males. Does our son still need to go to the Russian military even if he lives in US?

Thanks,

Olga

My understanding is that niether Russia nor the US recognizes dual citizenship. Each one requires you to renounce the other. I dont know about the notarized letter.

Yes, my understanding is that your son will be required to do the compulsory military service. IF he is a Russian citizen he will be required to complete his service. They wont come looking for him in the US, but the first time he goes thru passport control on a russian passport, and is of the required age he could be snagged for service, or jailed for not doing the service in the first place. You are probably better off leaving him as a USC and just paying for the visas.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Yes, my understanding is that your son will be required to do the compulsory military service. IF he is a Russian citizen he will be required to complete his service. They wont come looking for him in the US, but the first time he goes thru passport control on a russian passport, and is of the required age he could be snagged for service, or jailed for not doing the service in the first place. You are probably better off leaving him as a USC and just paying for the visas.

I remember reading State Department memo a while back in which it was clearly stated that dual citizenship (which was possible, according to the article) bound the person to the laws of each country, and that it obstructed the State Department's ability to help you in any way should you find yourself in trouble in your second homeland. The article made specific mention to being unable to assist in cases of compulsory military service.

I'll see if I can dig up the link...

Z

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My understanding is that neither Russia nor the US recognizes dual citizenship. Each one requires you to renounce the other. I don't know about the notarized letter.
Everyone that I know has not renounced their Russian citizenship when naturalizing. However, if you try to obtain Russian citizenship while you are abroad they will make you renounce your US citizenship. I am not sure if are in Russia and try to gain their citizenship while there. And still that was the rule only as of 2002. Prior to 2002, people born in the former Soviet Union could simply pay a fine and get their citizenship back at the consulate abroad without doing anything special.

As for military service everything you said is true. However, based on the consulate website a child can be made a citizen and then choose not keep it at age 18. the exact age of compulsory military service. Or he can keep the citizenship and just (1) not visit Russia during the compulsory age, (2) bribe his way out of it, or (3) bribe a medical doctor that he is unable to perform due to his mental or physical condition.

http://www.consulrussia.org/citizen.htm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
My understanding is that niether Russia nor the US recognizes dual citizenship. Each one requires you to renounce the other. I dont know about the notarized letter.

Your understanding is not entirely correct. The US Department of State's website can clarify this; the US does not encourage dual citizenship as it can impede the US government's ability to intercede on your behalf in your foreign country should that be necessary, but they do not require you to renounce your foreign citizenship when you take US citizenship.

Filed: Timeline
Your understanding is not entirely correct. The US Department of State's website can clarify this; the US does not encourage dual citizenship as it can impede the US government's ability to intercede on your behalf in your foreign country should that be necessary, but they do not require you to renounce your foreign citizenship when you take US citizenship.

Right. My neighbor is married to a Canadian. She recently became a US citizen, and now holds dual-citizenship. Neither country required her to renounce Canadian citizenship.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I have seen policeman in Russia stop men who look like they should be either doing or have already completed their military service and hauling off the ones who didn't immediately. Plus, if your son goes to college in the US he will not have completed the Russian version of ROTC so that's something else to think about. However, if he gets a phd he is exempt so you could just make him do a lot of schooling!

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

I stand corrected on the dual citizenship! :thumbs:

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Timeline

Under Putin, Russia is a very unpredictable place to be a citizen. I'd be happy with being a 100% American citizen.

The compulsory military thing is very odd to me because it's just one year. How can you train a soldier and get some useful service from him in one year? Why even bother?

Timeline
Under Putin, Russia is a very unpredictable place to be a citizen. I'd be happy with being a 100% American citizen.

The compulsory military thing is very odd to me because it's just one year. How can you train a soldier and get some useful service from him in one year? Why even bother?

In fairness, President Putin has made Russia a very predictable place to be a citizen. After more than 20 years of uncertainly, President Putin has given the Russian people a sense of hope for a better future. He makes the West a bit uneasy because he cares about Russian interests only, and doesn't succumb to the political correctness that is weakening western countries beyond measure (case and point, the US in Iraq). He may be tough to deal with, and may prove to be bad for Western interests around the globe, but he isn't bad for Russia. He's exactly what they need.

The compulsory service in Russia is odd to me as well. In many counties, its used to instill a sense of discipline in young people -- and, of course, to keep their defense force strong. In Russia, I'm just not sure those kids are called up for any better reason than that the officers beat their troops into the ground too quickly, and thus necessitate an annual refresh.

Z

Edited by shikarnov

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When I lived in Kazan' for a year with my fiancée, our neighbour's son decided "screw" the military. Once a week the militsiya showed up looking to find and "talk" to him. My fiancée assured me, when they find him, he will have regretted ignoring his calling. She said a year in the military there is rough. A lot of physical abuse is given out by your superiors.

I have seen policeman in Russia stop men who look like they should be either doing or have already completed their military service and hauling off the ones who didn't immediately. Plus, if your son goes to college in the US he will not have completed the Russian version of ROTC so that's something else to think about. However, if he gets a phd he is exempt so you could just make him do a lot of schooling!

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

Thanks a lot for your responses.

I have one more question:

If I choose to make my son a Russian citizen for the purpose of traveling without a visa and by the time he will be 18 he won't continue to be a Russian citizen.

If he choose to work for the government or any other jobs required a top security clearance, would it matter to them that he had been Russian citizen before he turn 18?

Edited by Ol D

01/15/2004 Got Married in Russia, St.Petersburg

CR1

03/22/2004 mailed out I-130 app to CSC

03/24/2004 1st NOA; California

08/13/2004 Online status: Approved I-130 through CA

K-3

04/21/2004 Mailed out I-129f K3 packet to Missouri

04/28/2004 1st NOA; Missouri

11/03/2004 "touched"

11/04/2004 "touched"

11/05/2004 approved

11/08/2004 got 2NOA by mail

11/10/2004 NVC received and assigned a case#

11/17/2004 2NOA by email

11/18/2004 NVC forwards petition to Moscow

12/11/2004 received Packet 4 from Moscow

12/14/2004 Saw the interview date set on-line

NVC

08/16/2004 Received by NVC

09/13/2004 assigned a case#

09/28/2004 NVC sends I-864 & IV fee bills

10/19/2004 recieved I-864 & IV fee bills

10/22/2004 sent the I-864 & IV fee bills to NVC

10/24/2004 NVC got the I-864 & IV fee bills

11/12/2004 NVC entered I-864 & IV fee bills to their system

11/17/2004 recieved DS-230 and I-864 forms

12/7/2004 NVC entered DS-230&I-864 forms to their system

12/21/2004 NVC completed case review

12/28/2004 NVC forwards petition to Moscow

01/14/2005 recieved by Moscow consulate

02/10/2005 successful CR1 interview

Timeline
Thanks a lot for your responses.

I have one more question:

If I choose to make my son a Russian citizen for the purpose of traveling without a visa and by the time he will be 18 he won't continue to be a Russian citizen.

If he choose to work for the government or any other jobs required a top security clearance, would it matter to them that he had been Russian citizen before he turn 18?

In a perfect world, I'd say his Russian citizenship wouldn't be an issue -- however, the world is not perfect and there are those who will look at strong Russian ties as a security risk (regardless of what the discrimination laws say) -- especially if a new version of the Cold War erupts in years to come.

Will every job discriminate against him? No, of course not. Will one or two? Maybe. But the same thing can end up happening if your son turns out to be gay, or grows up to be fat, or decides to vote Republican whereas his boss is Democrat. There are a myriad of stupid reasons jobs will find to reject you.

I wouldn't worry about this particular decision effecting your baby's job prospects 25 years from now. I might worry about the myriad of other reasons outlined in this thread (like the State Department being unable to help you when there are problems), but I think you can relax about security clearances.

Z

Are you asking if he can get a Secret clearance from the U.S. govt. after having Russian citizenship while being a minor?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

This is almost identical situation to ours, except our child is a girl.

The answer is that they will not give the child a visa, at least not if they know he/she has a Russian citizen parent (which they will absolutely know if the child is traveling with the Russian citizen parent). People have been known to get around this problem by just having the child travel with the non-Russian citizen parent.

If child must travel with the Russian citizen parent, the child must either get their own zagranpassport or be written into the accompanying Russian citizen parent's zagranpassport. To do this, the U.S. birth certificate needs an Apostille, and you need to translate it into Russian. Both parents (including the non-citizen) further must appear to give consent to the passport application, and provide proof of status in the USA (such as U.S. passport, permanent resident card, etc.). Parents' marriage certificate with an apostille was also required. The embassy will legalize your translation of the birth certificate and return it with passport. Child & parent enter & exit Russia with Russian passport.

Military service requirements for male Russian citizens permanently residing outside Russia is definitely a concern you should look into (as ours is a girl, there wasn't as such concern), though of course the rules could change by the time he reaches the proper age. There is also always the option of evading any such service by being careful to never enter the country again once an adult.

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.