19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/286395

Congress tries to delay passport requirement

Dec 17, 2007 07:20 PM

Beth Gorham

THE CANADIAN PRESS

WASHINGTON – American legislators are renewing their push to delay requiring passports at the Canada-U.S. border until June 2009 by slipping the measure into a critical spending bill.

But the Homeland Security Department says it's determined to move forward with the new security requirement next summer as planned, regardless of how Congress votes.

The delay is part of a US$500 billion omnibus bill that legislators want to finish before the holidays and send off to President George W. Bush for his signature.

Canada has long supported a delay to ensure the security system is properly in place, avoiding nightmarish traffic lineups and long wait times for passports.

The extra time was written into the House of Representatives bill by New York Democrat Louise Slaughter. She included a provision for withholding $75 million to implement the plan until officials report on the status of new identification cards and high-technology driver's licences that are being developed as alternatives to passports.

"The traffic across our northern border is critical to our economy and we must never sacrifice our relationship with Canada with an ill-conceived attempt to increase border security," said Slaughter.

"Economic security and physical security are not mutually exclusive. We can, and must, have both."

But Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said he doesn't believe the stalling measure will impede plans to implement the so-called Western Hemisphere and Travel Initiative at land and sea crossing starting next summer.

"A delay in WHTI implementation would create the very type of chaos at the border that Congress has repeatedly urged our department to avoid," Knocke said.

The spending bill, which includes the budgets for every U.S. government department except the Pentagon, was expected to face few obstacles this week in both levels of Congress.

Canadian Embassy officials called the latest move on passports ``a very positive step."

Ambassador Michael Wilson has been lobbying for more time for more than a year.

"On the present timetable, Canadians and Americans do not have time to get the documents they will need," Wilson said in an editorial published last week in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

"Neither country can afford the kind of backlog that both passport agencies experienced last winter when the new ... requirements were implemented for air travellers."

"Many more travellers cross by land and there needs to be a realistic and transparent plan to ensure that legitimate tourism and trade can continue."

Wait times for passports were up to 12 weeks, from four to six weeks, in the United States before air passengers were required to use the documents in January.

The land and sea portion of the rule has already been delayed once to give U.S. officials more time to develop a passcard dubbed ``passport lite" that will be cheaper to get.

Several states and some provinces are interested in developing enhanced driver's licences that will contain proof of citizenship like passports.

Last week, Homeland Secretary Michael Chertoff called the high-technology licences a "win-win for security and convenience."

Starting Jan. 31, the United States will require all Canadians to provide some proof of citizenship, like a birth certificate. Adults will also need a government-issued photo ID.

Customs agents will no longer be allowed to simply ask people where they were born.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We applied for our daughter's passport in July....it was November getting to us. Glad I didn't wait any longer to get it done 'cos we're hoping (keeping fingers crossed) that we can fly home this Spring.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

People knew this was happening, we have been warned for over two years. There is no excuse....everyone needs a passport. Yes I think its lame but there's nothing anyone can do.

Donne moi une poptart!

And the game continues.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/borders/passports.html

Thought this was a very interesting time line..

You are right Sprailenes.. this isn't "new".. it really amazes me how many people do'nt have a passport.. what about a quick spontaneous trip to somewhere warm? :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

the problem is some of us have to apply to renew our passports - or technically, get a replacement passport. You aren't allow to apply prior to 6 months - 12 months in some restricted circumstances - so we are stuck having to wait until the open time frame in which to apply. I am currently waiting for my completed application to come back from Canada where I had to send it to have my Canadian passport holder guarantor sign it and sign the photographs. Geeze, that whole new guarantor requirement may make it easier for Canadians in Canada but it sure sucks for those of us living outside of Canada. It has added at least a month to my whole process. Then when I get it back, I have to return the application along with the passport and all the other documentation BACK to Canada - and I just pray that my photos aren't rejected!! I am glad that they have delayed the new passport requirements because maybe now there won't be so many last minute people panicking to get their passports at the same time I am sending mine in for its replacement.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
the problem is some of us have to apply to renew our passports - or technically, get a replacement passport. You aren't allow to apply prior to 6 months - 12 months in some restricted circumstances - so we are stuck having to wait until the open time frame in which to apply. I am currently waiting for my completed application to come back from Canada where I had to send it to have my Canadian passport holder guarantor sign it and sign the photographs. Geeze, that whole new guarantor requirement may make it easier for Canadians in Canada but it sure sucks for those of us living outside of Canada. It has added at least a month to my whole process. Then when I get it back, I have to return the application along with the passport and all the other documentation BACK to Canada - and I just pray that my photos aren't rejected!! I am glad that they have delayed the new passport requirements because maybe now there won't be so many last minute people panicking to get their passports at the same time I am sending mine in for its replacement.

That's what I was just thinking. If they delay it until June 2009 it will come at exactly the time I need to renew. :angry: Sigh. "If it's not one thing... it's another." *smiles at the thought of Rosanne RosannaDanna*

iagree.gif

Timeline

That's what I was just thinking. If they delay it until June 2009 it will come at exactly the time I need to renew. :angry: Sigh. "If it's not one thing... it's another." *smiles at the thought of Rosanne RosannaDanna*

Same for me. I am actually hoping we dont have to travel at all from june 09 to june 10, then when I get citizenship I just apply for a US passport and my problems are solved. No guarantor BS etc.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

*sigh* We're thinking of going home and having passport pics taken and get the guarantor to sign things while we're there. Which means we have to do it this year as Joel's passport expires mid 2009. *sigh* Yeah, I'm hearing Rosanne RosannaDanna in my head too. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will always have a Cdn passport!! Much rather travel on a Cdn passport than an USA one!! Just my opinion!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I will always have a Cdn passport!! Much rather travel on a Cdn passport than an USA one!! Just my opinion!

I agree...Joel plans on keeping his Cdn passport. This way he's always flying home. :) When I do the required steps to become a Cdn I plan on keeping my US passport as well. Same reason. :)

Filed: Other Timeline

Yeap, you have to keep that Canadian passport current, even if you do get US citizenship.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.