IR5FORMUMSIE

Recipe Board

131 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just happen to love ketchup...but I'm not one of those people who thinks it should be eaten with everything :) It has it's place with fries and mac and cheese and the usual stuff.

Thank god my mom was a great cook, some of my friends inherited nothing in this department from their moms..poor people. Even my brothers are decent cooks because both my parents do pretty well in the kitchen!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The thing is, some of these Mothers weren't that - hmm - umm cooking wasn't their forte'.

LOL. Yup. My daughter's fiance used to drown everything in ketchup. We cured him of that habit. He also learned to eat vegetables and ethnic foods too. Apparently his Mom is a terrible cook, and only served meat and potatoes. But she managed to screw even that up, so the entire family learned to disguise it with ketchup. I can't even imagine. Maybe Stacey's MIL did the same thing with cheese. :lol:

She is a good cook. She is always baking and cooking something. When she comes up from Houston, Mel always gets her to make Tamales. Those are his favorite.

Well...on another topic I saw a few that were missing perogies. I have a very simple way of making them and you probably know this too but I love them...

Perogies

Frozen buns - pkg of 12

Mash potatoes

shredded cheese

bacon / onions

Place frozen buns on wax paper on counter to begin thawing.

Give the buns about 20 minutes headstart then proceed to make mashed potatoes; shredd cheese; and cook bacon/onions. Mix the shredded cheese into the mashed potatoes.

Once the buns are soft, with a rolling pin, flatten them to about 1/4", place a tablespoon of mashed potatoes, with a small amount of the bacon/onion mix. Place into a 9 x 13 baking dish and brush with butter. Let them rise. Cook the buns as per the directions. After they are cooked, brush them again with butter.

Enjoy.....

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: Timeline
Well...on another topic I saw a few that were missing perogies. I have a very simple way of making them and you probably know this too but I love them...

Perogies

Frozen buns - pkg of 12

Mash potatoes

shredded cheese

bacon / onions

Give the buns about 20 minutes headstart then proceed to make mashed potatoes; shredd cheese; and cook bacon/onions. Mix the shredded cheese into the mashed potatoes.

Once the buns are soft, with a rolling pin, flatten them to about 1/4", place a tablespoon of mashed potatoes, with a small amount of the bacon/onion mix. Place into a 9 x 13 baking dish and brush with butter. Let them rise. Cook the buns as per the directions. After they are cooked, brush them again with butter.

Enjoy.....

:wub:

I LOVE YOU.:wub:

Perogies

Wow. That sounds interesting. Gotta give that one a try.

I have a frozen bun recipe!

BREAKFAST BUNS

1 pkg frozen rolls

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding crystals

1 tbsp cinnamon

1/3 cup melted butter

pecans or walnuts

1. Spray 9x13 pan
  2. Sprinkle melted butter, brown sugar, & nuts on bottom of pan
  3. Arrange rolls on top, single layer
  4. Mix remaining brown sugar and pudding crystals, and pour over top
  5. Drizzle with melted butter
  6. Cover with damp towel overnite
  7. Bake @ 325o for 40-50 minutes. Cover with foil for last 15 minutes.
  8. Cool 5 minutes and invert on plate
This is an amazingly good recipe. Sounds weird, but it's totally worth trying. :thumbs:
iagree.gif

Yummm so many good things to try when I have a real stocked kitchen again.

Thank you all!

Keep it coming keep it coming...

:star: :star: :star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Opps...should have posted this one too.

Looking for a quick meal, try chicken mushroom casserole.

2 boneless chicken breasts - cubed

1 can of mushroom soup

1 box of chicken stove top stuffing

1 540g of medium cheese (or marble cheese)

Fry the chicken until cooked. While chicken is cooking prepare the stove top stuffing and shred cheese. Once chicken is cooked, place in the bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Mix mushroom soup with 1/2 can of water and pour over the chicken. Layer 1/2 the shredded cheese over the soup. Add the stove top stuffing and cover with remaining cheese. Place in the oven at 300 for 20 - 25 minutes.

Enjoy!!!!

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
OK, someone gimme a recipe for a whole chicken. I want to oven the thing with a lot of flavour and spices -- just to impress the inlaws ;)

"I want to oven the thing" :lol:

I'll leave the spice suggestions up to someone else, but for a guaranteed* moist chicken that tastes really good, you can quarter an onion and just stuff it in (then throw it away after cooking) :thumbs:

Some people loosen the skin and put herbs and butter etc under there as well.

*trailmix guarantee is only valid within North American.

OK, someone gimme a recipe for a whole chicken. I want to oven the thing with a lot of flavour and spices -- just to impress the inlaws ;)

I just made a roast chicken on Sunday using only the ingredients I had on hand. My "recipes" change every time I make stuff, depending on my mood and what's in the fridge. Anyhoo:

DECEMBER 16TH ROAST CHICKEN

(recipe based on 3-3.5 lb chicken)

1. Mix together 1 tbsp Mrs Dash original seasoning, 2 tbsp lard or shortening, 1 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp butcher salt (or sea salt or kosher salt), 1/2 tsp pepper.
  2. Remove neck and giblets from cavity. Set aside.
  3. Rinse chicken under running water, inside and out. Pat dry with paper towel.
  4. Rub chicken with seasoning, inside and out. Rub inside skin if so desired.
  5. Stuff cavity with 1/4 lemon, 1/4 onion, 1/2 celery stalk, 1 clove garlic.
  6. Bake @ 400o for 1.5 to 2 hours, basting periodically.
  7. Remove from oven, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes. Carve.
Chicken Gravy

1. Cut into chunks: 1 stalk celery, 1 carrot, 1 small onion, 1 parsnip if you have it.
  2. 1 tbsp butter or olive oil in saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Saute veg for about 5 mins.
  3. Add chicken neck and giblets. Add water to cover. Add bit of white wine if you like.
  4. Simmer until chicken is out of oven, then strain.
  5. Pour juices from chicken into gravy separator. Add to gravy base.
  6. Mix till smooth 2 tbsp flour and 1/4 water. Add scoop of gravy base and mix. Return to saucepan.
  7. Stir or whisk until gravy starts to bubble. Allow gravy to bubble for a few more minutes, while stirring.
If you want the recipe for roast potatoes to go with your meal let me know.
iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Perogies

Frozen buns - pkg of 12

Mash potatoes

shredded cheese

bacon / onions

Enjoy.....

That is fantastic!!!

I have made perogies a few times- I suck at making dough so using the buns is a great idea!!

"I want to oven the thing" :lol:

I'll leave the spice suggestions up to someone else, but for a guaranteed* moist chicken that tastes really good, you can quarter an onion and just stuff it in (then throw it away after cooking) :thumbs:

Some people loosen the skin and put herbs and butter etc under there as well.

*trailmix guarantee is only valid within North American.

sister, you are hilarious!

I just made a roast chicken on Sunday using only the ingredients I had on hand. My "recipes" change every time I make stuff, depending on my mood and what's in the fridge. Anyhoo:

DECEMBER 16TH ROAST CHICKEN

(recipe based on 3-3.5 lb chicken)

1. Mix together 1 tbsp Mrs Dash original seasoning, 2 tbsp lard or shortening, 1 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp butcher salt (or sea salt or kosher salt), 1/2 tsp pepper.
  2. Remove neck and giblets from cavity. Set aside.
  3. Rinse chicken under running water, inside and out. Pat dry with paper towel.
  4. Rub chicken with seasoning, inside and out. Rub inside skin if so desired.
  5. Stuff cavity with 1/4 lemon, 1/4 onion, 1/2 celery stalk, 1 clove garlic.
  6. Bake @ 400o for 1.5 to 2 hours, basting periodically.
  7. Remove from oven, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes. Carve.
Chicken Gravy
  1. Cut into chunks: 1 stalk celery, 1 carrot, 1 small onion, 1 parsnip if you have it.
  2. 1 tbsp butter or olive oil in saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Saute veg for about 5 mins.
  3. Add chicken neck and giblets. Add water to cover. Add bit of white wine if you like.
  4. Simmer until chicken is out of oven, then strain.
  5. Pour juices from chicken into gravy separator. Add to gravy base.
  6. Mix till smooth 2 tbsp flour and 1/4 water. Add scoop of gravy base and mix. Return to saucepan.
  7. Stir or whisk until gravy starts to bubble. Allow gravy to bubble for a few more minutes, while stirring.
If you want the recipe for roast potatoes to go with your meal let me know.

Now that sounds awesome - will do. And do post the potato recipe!!! Bren et moi are potato freaks!!!! (besides the other freakish nuances of our petite selves :devil:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

my perogie recipe is just regular pasta dough (flour, eggs, oil-I think it's roughly 1 egg per cup flour) plus sour cream. I'm not big on the whole measuring thing, just enough sour cream so its a soft dough. then whatever potato/cheese/other yummies you feel like throwing in. The key to good perogies is having a bunch of friends over to help you make them, otherwise it's just too boring and too much work.

my tip for the meringue. use your hands to separate the egg yokes and whites-crack the egg into you hand, let the white slip through your fingers into a bowl while holding onto the yoke. I gave up trying separate eggs using the egg shells-I always break the yoke that way.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Now that sounds awesome - will do. And do post the potato recipe!!! Bren et moi are potato freaks!!!! (besides the other freakish nuances of our petite selves :devil:

ROAST POTATOES

Halve medium or quarter large potatoes. Peeled or unpeeled. Any type but Yukon Golds.... they tend to crumble, but they're great for mashing.

Either par-boil them in salted water or place in roasting tin with chicken and fill to half inch with water.

Remove the chicken from the roasting tin. Scuff the potatoes up a little with a fork. You want some edges on them for texture.

Turn the oven up to 450o. After pouring the juices from the gravy separator into the saucepan, pour what's left (the grease) back into the roasting tin.

Bake in oven, basting and turning periodically, for about 20-30 minutes, or long enough to develop a nice brown crispiness.

Enjoy.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.