Udella&Wiz

What the heck did they do to the Heinz Ketchup???

310 posts in this topic

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carla, don't go please (F)

You brighten our board.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline
see, one thing that bi-cultural couples (and yes, that includes Can/Am couples) don't always realize is that visiting the other half's country/state/county/town is entirely different than living there. Not to mention the "normal" adjustments having to do with married life and sharing one's home with someone. Only half of the equation has to get used to the new country/state/county/town, while the other half will wonder what the heck is the big deal about the frikken ketchup anyway.

No matter how often or for how long you get to visit each other, living together is completely different. Everything from labour laws, to income and property taxes, to health care, to movie ratings to yes, the difference of the Cheez Whiz, will in all likelihood come up in conversation at some point or other, and may or may not cause frustrations and arguments on both parts.

the same could be said if a couple who are both American but one is from Washington and the other is from Florida get together and decide for whatever reason to live in Florida. Completely different cultures, different weather, different people, and different foods. Perhaps one is better than the other, perhaps not. But to the person from Washington, EVERYTHING in Florida is just going to be weird and feel like it doesn't fit right for a good long while. Some people adjust better than others, the other half of the couple who only has half the adjustment to make is a few steps ahead, and needs to keep that in mind. Especially when their other half is looking for a favourite comfort food that can't be found anywhere in the entire state (gods...I could kill for some fish & chips sometimes!). And they also should keep in mind that even though it sounds like their other half is whinging, or complaining or criticizing, or denegrating or or or...its all part of the adjusment, and how you handle it and try to find alternatives or compromises will make the adjusment more or less difficult.

It takes two, and the one who does the moving has had/will have the greater burden to bear IMO. Once they're there and the boxes are unpacked its not nearly over, its only just beginning. Whether or not they like the ketchup.

Great post, Reba. :thumbs: And I hear ya on the fish & chips.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
the same could be said if a couple who are both American but one is from Washington and the other is from Florida get together and decide for whatever reason to live in Florida. Completely different cultures, different weather, different people, and different foods. Perhaps one is better than the other, perhaps not. But to the person from Washington, EVERYTHING in Florida is just going to be weird and feel like it doesn't fit right for a good long while.

Ain't that the truth. And it doesn't even have to be a couple. I moved by myself from NY to Virginia over 10 years ago and still miss bagels, Chinese food and pizza, sigh. Doesn't mean I don't like VA. In fact when I go back to NY, I b!tch about having to pay to go to museums, the lack of decent biking/hiking trails and how hectic it all is.

Ya was good that my smiley face thingy didn't work! He was giving the 1 finger salute,lol

:lol: Now that's not a very Canadian response! :whistle:

But do they have hockey in South America?

And Carla, don't go! :crying:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Don't leave Carla, this is your forum. I'm leaving. Sorry for trying to understand the point of view here, and obviously upsetting you. Didn't intend to.

Awwwww, now, see? Don't do that, CBR. I don't want you to go, either. :crying: Just think of the laughs we can have down the road when someone asks about our first posts in the Canada Forum. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline
the same could be said if a couple who are both American but one is from Washington and the other is from Florida get together and decide for whatever reason to live in Florida. Completely different cultures, different weather, different people, and different foods. Perhaps one is better than the other, perhaps not. But to the person from Washington, EVERYTHING in Florida is just going to be weird and feel like it doesn't fit right for a good long while.

Ain't that the truth. And it doesn't even have to be a couple. I moved by myself from NY to Virginia over 10 years ago and still miss bagels, Chinese food and pizza, sigh. Doesn't mean I don't like VA. In fact when I go back to NY, I b!tch about having to pay to go to museums, the lack of decent biking/hiking trails and how hectic it all is.

Ya was good that my smiley face thingy didn't work! He was giving the 1 finger salute,lol

:lol: Now that's not a very Canadian response! :whistle:

But do they have hockey in South America?

And Carla, don't go! :crying:

I'm sure there is hockey somewhere!! I think it was in Penang Malaysia, they had a huge hockey rink in a mall!! And yes i know Penang isnt in S. America!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I'm sure there is hockey somewhere!! I think it was in Penang Malaysia, they had a huge hockey rink in a mall!! And yes i know Penang isnt in S. America!!!

Ice hockey or roller? Of course in Dubai they have that huge indoor downhill ski "mountain" so I guess anything is possible.

Not to derail this thread too much, but Scott when you had your biometrics done was it was out in BF Virginia? Like near Mt. Vernon on Richmond Highway?

TIMELINE

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

Well that's a start! And while they may have a rink they don't have the flames! Why were you in Penang - holiday?

Wow this is hugely off topic so:

Did you try the ketchup in Penang?

Edited by trailmix

Ice hockey or roller? Of course in Dubai they have that huge indoor downhill ski "mountain" so I guess anything is possible.

Not to derail this thread too much, but Scott when you had your biometrics done was it was out in BF Virginia? Like near Mt. Vernon on Richmond Highway?

I think you just did. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

yep, I believe it was!! Was in and out in no time!! Spouses were not allowed, due to lack of space, no cell phones and ENSURE you fill out the whole form!! I was like 5 or 6th in line, but the people in front of me didnt fill out the whole form, and the lady you hand it to, just sends you out of the line to finish it,lol!! The procedure is this:

1)walk in

2) u come to the first desk, show ur appt letter, he hands you the form to fill out

3)fill out form

4) get inline to hand in form

5) they wil ltake the form, and hand u a #

6) # is called

7) get off ### and walk towards the dude that called ur #

8) Take ur pics and fingerprints

9) depart!!

I was in and out in less than 30 minutes!!

I was in Penang with the navy! Area around the mal was very poor! The u went inside this mall, and there were very $$$$ shops!! And the rink was ice!!

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I think you just did. :lol:

Sorry to lazy to PM. :blush:

And Trailmix, that actually made me snark my water. :lol:

yep, I believe it was!! Was in and out in no time!! Spouses were not allowed, due to lack of space, no cell phones and ENSURE you fill out the whole form!! I was like 5 or 6th in line, but the people in front of me didnt fill out the whole form, and the lady you hand it to, just sends you out of the line to finish it,lol!! The procedure is this:

1)walk in

2) u come to the first desk, show ur appt letter, he hands you the form to fill out

3)fill out form

4) get inline to hand in form

5) they wil ltake the form, and hand u a #

6) # is called

7) get off ### and walk towards the dude that called ur #

8) Take ur pics and fingerprints

9) depart!!

I was in and out in less than 30 minutes!!

Thanks! D's appointment is tomorrow. He's making me drive because he is convinced he is going to get lost. But I will bring a book and hope for another warm day!

TIMELINE

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Actually I sat on this topic for days, just didn't respond...then I felt I had to. Actually it's a GOOD thing I did! I'm firmly convinced now, that I shouldn't, and won't anymore, post in a forum that is not specifically related to immigration and this process. At least as much as I can assist! I moved from the OT because of the comments there, to posting usually just in the Canada forum. Now, I'm just going to limit myself to specific immigration questions throughout the site. Just one step away from leaving altogether me thinks...oh well, I won't be the first, and definitely not the last.

Carla (F)

Anyone wish to take over my coffee job in the mornings?

Don't leave Carla, this is your forum. I'm leaving. Sorry for trying to understand the point of view here, and obviously upsetting you. Didn't intend to.

I didn't say I was leaving, well at least not yet. I said I won't be posting in a forum that is not specifically related to immigration and this process. Of course you can't leave...you're just starting your journey! There is no better place to get information about the Canadian process than here in the Canada forum. Perhaps not the Heinz Ketchup one, but you know what I mean. There is an endless amount of support and encouragement here, and you'll need it more and more the closer you get to the interview stage. It's wonderful that you're here to get as much information for the process for your Canadian fiance. There are lots of specific items you're going to want information on in the process that's best understood here, or this is the only place to get it, specifically from Canada.

For many people here, and I've been here... :o since April 2006??? Wow! Didn't realize it was so long... Anyway, for many people here, there presence becomes more limited after they've completed most of their journey, and/or when they've had a bad day. I've had more than a few bad days recently, especially spending my first Christmas without my children. We all have had a day that broke the camel's back...and I think these last several have been that for me. I remember not too long ago that Len had just about had it.... Some of us return, some not. Some limit their postings, some don't.

Beware this is the place where Canadians feel they can complain as well. It makes us feel at home. Which is why perhaps your "trying to understand" just didn't sound like that's what you were doing to me. And I'm also sure, you didn't intend to upset me. Alas, there is nothing YOU can do about how I feel. I'm the only one that can take responsibliity for my feelings.

So, saying that, I encourage you to avail yourself of all the Canadian forum has to offer. I can choose when or if I will participate in a thread. It would never lessen my sincerity in responding to any thread where you have questions either.

Loved your post Reba.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Beware this is the place where Canadians feel they can complain as well. It makes us feel at home.

So true Carla! Well said.

I'm sorry you are down, wish there was something I could do to cheer you up. Anyway, here is a picture of the great white north - hope this helps :)

ketchup1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Food will just taste differently to anyone going to a different place and since it's out of the norm of their taste buds, they generally will tend to like their "used to" brands more.

I used to hate going to Detroit when I was in College and eating McDonalds there because I thought the Big Macs tasted so weird. Now that I've been here for so long, I eat them in Canada and think the Canadian ones are the ones that taste really strange and weird. Though I must admit the Maharasha Burger in the Indian McDonalds are by far the best ever.

Spend enough time anywhere and you'll become accustomed to the food. If I had a taste test between Kraft dinners, I'd probably choose the American one now because that's what I'm used to.

So people's taste buds will change and adapt to their new countries food differences.

Of course there will be products that you just can't get very easily in the new country (like Ketchup Chips in America or Coffee Crisp bars etc), and visa versa. So people will always get those when they visit (me it's Harvey's Hamburgers when I visit canada).

Water is well, water and is different anywhere in North America, I was lucky to have been raised near the Aberfoyle area of Ontario where they now bottle the water and sell over here. So I was spoiled as a kid with really fresh and pure water so of course everything else would be sub par. The moving to attend college in Windsor, I realized the water there was so horrid you couldn't even drink it out of the taps. So water in Canada just 3 hours away in a different town is totally different too. Just like here.

I just feel that the entire thing is just people trying to get used to new things that they're not used to. Of course they'll find it strange and unusual from what they have always known. Same would happen for Americans moving to Canada, or people moving to England or Italy etc. Just takes time to adjust and that's all.

Health Care I won't even touch. My Canadian health care experience was something out of a 3rd world country, it was horrid...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.