junglejao

Employment an issue for K1?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm starting to worry (as I often do) about my fiance's employment history and whether it will affect his ability to get a K1. My finace is a musician, and he earns money by playing music independently. He works very hard and makes a good living at this, but he has no employer or employment record to speak of (with the exception of one official music job he held for 7 months last year). I actually didn't even list the independent musician part on our application because I wasn't sure if there were issues with taxes or anything like that- I simply stated N/A under current employment. I make around $47k and can show my ability to support him, but could he be denied if it looks like he doesn't work? We are both aware that he will likely not be able to make a reasonable living here as a musican- he is happy to do other work so this isn't an issue from our perspective. I'm just worried what the big guys will think. Anyone have any insight on this?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would think he may have to explain what you just said and show some sort of proof along the way. Not that it matters much in the whole scheme of things where they work at all. It's just sometimes that "unemployed free ride" ####### comments come into play and may need to be proven wrong.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I would think he may have to explain what you just said and show some sort of proof along the way. Not that it matters much in the whole scheme of things where they work at all. It's just sometimes that "unemployed free ride" ####### comments come into play and may need to be proven wrong.

I'm not sure how we could show proof- he either plays in public places to sell his CDs, or people hire him to play at various events and it's never been a practice to exchange receipts, contracts, etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The only thing the USCIS cares about is the petitioner's employment status at this stage. A beneficiary does not have to prove or have any employment. Now once you get to the AOS level, it matters if you need both incomes to show sufficient household income.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Basically, it sounds like he is self-employed as a musician and works on contracts with different locales and venues. His employment, however, won't matter with the K-1 as they will only be concerned about your ability to support the two of you. The fact that he has been able to make a good living for himself up to now through his music won't even raise an eyebrow with the interviewer, but says he is probably pretty good at what he does.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

For the interview they are only looking at your income as the petitioner. My fiancee Isabel is an artist and that is all I listed and nothing else was needed. You only need to show proof of sufficient income to support you both or 125% above the poverty line for a family of 2. Do not worry about it, everthing will be fine. :thumbs:

Brian & Isa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.