Buck and Natalia

NVC Security Check Process - A Good Link

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This link is for those of you that want to know a little more about the NVC Security Check process. Our own experience is that my fiancee's name caused an initial name check "hit" requiring further investigation. The matter was cleared up in about a week..... very thankfully.... but we had some nervous moments.

Here is the link:

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm

RUS.GIFNatalia & BuckUS1.GIF

May 02, 2007 - Petition Mailed to Nebraska Service Center (and then transferred to California Service Center)

May 29, 2007 - NOA1: K1

Sep 19, 2007 - NOA2: K1

Nov 02, 2007 - NVC Received Petition from CSC

Dec 13, 2007 - NVC Processing Completed; Petition forwarded to Moscow Consulate

Mar 03, 2008 - Moscow Interview Date: VISA APPROVED

Mar 06, 2008 - VISA's received in Omsk

Mar 24, 2008 - USA Arrival; HALLELUJAH !!!!

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Jun 17, 2008 - AOS, EAD, AP Filed - Natalia & Artem (17 yr-old son)

Jun 23, 2008 - NOA1: AOS, EAD, AP - Natalia & Artem

July 15, 2008 - Biometrics: AOS, EAD - Natalia & Artem

DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED BY US ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DO THEY ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Timeline
This link is for those of you that want to know a little more about the NVC Security Check process. Our own experience is that my fiancee's name caused an initial name check "hit" requiring further investigation. The matter was cleared up in about a week..... very thankfully.... but we had some nervous moments.

Here is the link:

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/garrity022504.htm

OK..... apparently it wasn't cleared up in about a week. Apparently I was overly optimistic....... plus the overly bored and underly prepared NVC Operators tend to give inconsistent and incomplete information over the phone. I get the impression that the NVC Operators do not have access to much information or have little real information to impart....... or they just say "still processing.... check back in a couple of weeks" just to be rid of you. Oh well....... back to waiting. I am really starting to develop some real sympathy for prisoners sitting in their jail cells just counting days waiting for their prison terms to expire. If you are reading this, I suspect you probably know the feeling.

May 02, 2007 - Petition Mailed to Nebraska Service Center (and then transferred to California Service Center)

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED BY US ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DO THEY ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Timeline
That...sucks. :(

Sorry to hear this. Are you able to use some of your Lawyer kung-fu to make it move faster, or at least get more info from them?

I tried. My lawyer kung-fu, such as it is, is not much help at the security check stage. There are no processing guidelines regarding length of time. They can take as long they want at this stage. It is the true "limbo" of the K1 Visa Journey process. My problem is that there is no real access at the NVC to people with true knowledge on your petition. The people with real knowledge at the NVC are effectively screened by phone via the NVC Operators on their regular phone system and screened by email by the NVCInquiry email address. If someone knows a back phone number or email address that I can try............ I will try another kung fu attempt. :thumbs:

Buck

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry to hear this. Are you able to use some of your Lawyer kung-fu to make it move faster, or at least get more info from them?

I tried. My lawyer kung-fu, such as it is, is not much help at the security check stage. There are no processing guidelines regarding length of time. They can take as long they want at this stage. It is the true "limbo" of the K1 Visa Journey process. My problem is that there is no real access at the NVC to people with true knowledge on your petition. The people with real knowledge at the NVC are effectively screened by phone via the NVC Operators on their regular phone system and screened by email by the NVCInquiry email address. If someone knows a back phone number or email address that I can try............ I will try another kung fu attempt. :thumbs:

Buck

Hey Buck,

Usually, the FBI name check doesn't last a long time at all, usually more like a week or less. Our NVC check has lasted for 3 months, and they finally sent the packet to the embassy and finished with the name check, after I contacted our congressman, could have been a coincidence. Lawyers are helpless in this situation, since NVC always says "FBI check, no timeline"...it's hard to wait, but call them up several times a week, and hopefully it should be finished soon.

P.S. When you call them and they say, "yeah it's finished", call again a few times and make sure all these people tell you the same thing, they are idiots and have a screen to look at with not much information.

Good luck,

Mike.

Edited by gogal2020

Timeline
Hey Buck,

Usually, the FBI name check doesn't last a long time at all, usually more like a week or less. Our NVC check has lasted for 3 months, and they finally sent the packet to the embassy and finished with the name check, after I contacted our congressman, could have been a coincidence. Lawyers are helpless in this situation, since NVC always says "FBI check, no timeline"...it's hard to wait, but call them up several times a week, and hopefully it should be finished soon.

P.S. When you call them and they say, "yeah it's finished", call again a few times and make sure all these people tell you the same thing, they are idiots and have a screen to look at with not much information.

Good luck,

Mike.

Thanks for your words of encouragement Mike. Of course, we hope that our NVC check takes less than 3 months but we are already getting close to 1 month and counting. Probably much too soon to get a congressman involved though. I will probably play the congressman card, for whatever good it does, in a couple of weeks or so. I saw your timeline. It also looks like you got run through a ringer a bit when you spouse's VISA was initially denied. I am glad that was cleared up relatively quickly. :D

Once again .... thanks for your hopeful words.

Buck

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Timeline

I have now tried the congressman (Senator) kung fu. We will see if that does anything. :thumbs:

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Filed: Timeline

I have now tried the congressman (Senator) kung fu. We will see if that does anything. :thumbs:

Make sure that when you talk, your mouth moves out of sync. That's the key! :)

Seriously though, I really hope this gets things moving for you. Hang in there!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow! Interesting read. I really hope Sasha and I dont get stuck in this. Good luck!

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
Wow! Interesting read. I really hope Sasha and I dont get stuck in this. Good luck!

Yes. We hope that you do not get stuck in it too. The congressman card did not help so much. According to our congressman's staff, the NVC is still waiting for the last name clearance check to arrive from Moscow. Why they are checking her name in Moscow we have no idea. Of course, there are no time limits for security checks and the congressman's staff said it could take months. Actually, I think they just said "it could take months" because they have no firm idea exactly how long it will take and to just cover themselves in a worst case scenario. We are still very hopeful. Me....the new house .... and the new furniture will be waiting for you and your son whenever you come baby....... don't lose hope. (She reads my posts all the time). ;)

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.