mjoy61

Tourist Visa from Russia to US

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I have been chatting with Masha for many weeks and we both would like her to visit me in the US. She has found the one and only agency in her town and asked for info and pricing on getting a tourist visa. They gave her a quote for helping her with the US Embassy in Moscow and getting plane tickets. It seemed quite expensive. She does not own property or a business that would give her a reason to return to Russia. She does not have children or dependents. Not much to reassure the embassy that she would return to Russia.

Can anyone recommend an agency that has reasonable fees and a good success rate in these situations?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I have been chatting with Masha for many weeks and we both would like her to visit me in the US. She has found the one and only agency in her town and asked for info and pricing on getting a tourist visa. They gave her a quote for helping her with the US Embassy in Moscow and getting plane tickets.

Chance of success almost zero. Plan on meeting in another country - cheapest and easiest way to go. Jamiaca is a good choice. So is Egypt.

In January, a round trip from Moscow to London (BMI - $390), then London to Montego Bay (Virgin - $900) will set you back about $1300 all together, no visas involved. This is pretty reasonable. I found that in 2 minutes, you can probably do cheaper than that. Jamaica is much nicer than Russia in the winter.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anecdotal evidence from others who have tried would indicate a slight margin of success.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

First off, welcome to the VJ Russia Forum.

Second of all..... DO NOT SEND HER ANY MONEY!!!

I may be jumping the gun here, but this is the first post from you that I've seen relating to visas and Russian travel and what you're describing is a classic example of the scams run by these girls. (Not accusing, just pre-warning) Before you do anything at all, read up on this whole process and do a little more research and fact-checking.

Now, if I'm way off base here and you've already known your girl for quite a while and you're finally now getting around to the "meeting" stage, then what's most likely going to happen is as Russ said above, you'll need to meet in a third country or you'll have to fly there to see her. Either way you're going to be spending over $1,000 and if you're covering her portion as well it's going to be $1,000+ more.

For her to hire an agency in her city to make a U.S. visa application is unnecessary. You can find the info necessary here on VJ and walk her through it... FOR FREE!!! If you are going to go to Russia, using one of the readily available (Google) Russian Visa services is probably the easiest way to go.

Tell us a little more about your situation and what you're looking to do and we'll be able to better help you out.

- How long have you two known each other and how did you meet? (Have you met in person before?)

- Are you familiar with the K-1 process and it's requirements?

- Have you been to Russia, familiar with Russian people/customs, speak/read any Russian language?

- Just a general "where you're at" in the VJ process would really help us out.

If you don't want to post anything, I'm not trying to pry. Just trying to get a little more accurate picture of where you are and what you'll need to do in the VJ process. Once again, if I'm off-base, apologies, but if what I'm typing sounds a little too familiar..... come back for more help!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
First off, welcome to the VJ Russia Forum.

Second of all..... DO NOT SEND HER ANY MONEY!!!

I would second this. Any Russian that can afford to be chatting on the internet can afford the $100 embassy fee and travel to Moscow. From most of central russia, a bus ticket to Moscow costs almost nothing.

Filed: Timeline

Agreed that chances are almost zero that she can visit here.

If this is your first meeting I would strongly recommend meeting her in her home town, even if it's the dead of winter. You want to meet her family and friends because if things work out for the both of you, those people are all going to be a big part of your life. You are going to want to see where and how she lives, and you're going to want to give her the opportunity to play hostess to you. These are all really important, especially to her. It shows that you care about more than just her. She's going to want to have the chance to show you off to her friends and family and get their blessing.

Also, Russia is a fantastic trip. You'll be glad you went.

Timeline
If this is your first meeting I would strongly recommend meeting her in her home town, even if it's the dead of

Learn how to speak Russian first. The trip is far more fun if you can talk to people.

If this is your first meeting I would strongly recommend meeting her in her home town, even if it's the dead of winter. You want to meet her family and friends because if things work out for the both of you, those people are all going to be a big part of your life. You are going to want to see where and how she lives, and you're going to want to give her the opportunity to play hostess to you. These are all really important, especially to her. It shows that you care about more than just her. She's going to want to have the chance to show you off to her friends and family and get their blessing.

The trip to Russia is a fantastic trip however, I must disagree with the above post on grounds that it's not meeting her friends and family because it's going to be an important part of your future (in truth, you may never see these people again) but because it proves that she's willing to introduce you to her friends and family and actually accept you into her life.

It's very easy for any girl to take an all-expenses-paid trip to a beach resort somewhere to meet with some rich guy for a week or two. It's significantly more difficult for her to accept you into her everyday life and have you become a part of her family and to get the approval of everyone she knows and loves.

Offer to go there. See what she says.

A lot of people on here disagree with my "proof" theory that she must prove to you that she's willing to do her part but I'm a whole-hearted believer in her putting forth just as much effort and willingness as you. The trip to Russia is what proves it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Learn how to speak Russian first. The trip is far more fun if you can talk to people.

I had about a 5 word Russian vocabulary when I put feet down in Moscow. I had a hard time sometimes, but it was a trip I will remember with fondness all my life, and not just because I met my SO. Knowing the language would be advantageous, but I never found the language barrier to be too high.

The trip to Russia is a fantastic trip however, I must disagree with the above post on grounds that it's not meeting her friends and family because it's going to be an important part of your future (in truth, you may never see these people again) but because it proves that she's willing to introduce you to her friends and family and actually accept you into her life.

Agree with everything you said slim, but it doesn't matter that you won't ever meet these people again. She'll be talking to them on the phone or emailing/IM'ing them when she's living with you. She will keep in contact with all her best friends, and of course her family. They will have an impact on your life even if you don't immediately know it. If you don't like her friends, or (especially) if they don't like you, you're going to have some challenges.

I had about a 5 word Russian vocabulary when I put feet down in Moscow. I had a hard time sometimes, but it was a trip I will remember with fondness all my life, and not just because I met my SO. Knowing the language would be advantageous, but I never found the language barrier to be too high.

My trip was Spring Break, 2006...I was taking Russian 101 so I had a limited knowledge of Russian, still do but every now and then I pick up a book and try...speaking of which, I may do that tonight! =)

Since I do not know your situation, I can only share my experience...

Do NOT send any money first! Plan a trip to visit her in her town, even in winter!

As I said my trip was spring break...a.k.a. March! melting snow everywhere, it was fun...though cold, coming from the desert! :lol:

It was really nice to see her town, her family...not so much how she lived since she took leave during my trip! I've said it before and I'll say it again, IF I could have moved there I would have, in a second! I loved the trip though I am certain the company I kept had alot to do with that ;)

We are looking to buy a house this year and a trip back in 2009!

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Agree with everything you said slim, but it doesn't matter that you won't ever meet these people again. She'll be talking to them on the phone or emailing/IM'ing them when she's living with you. She will keep in contact with all her best friends, and of course her family. They will have an impact on your life even if you don't immediately know it. If you don't like her friends, or (especially) if they don't like you, you're going to have some challenges.

I agree with you there too, but the reasoning behind taking the trip to see her in her own environment as opposed to meeting in a third country (especially for those who have never met their S/O) should have more to do with her proving she's accepting you into her life than you making it a point to meet all her cousins and grandparents and the extended family you're never going to see again.

The friends/family do play a part down the road, as you mentioned, but they are an initial sign of her willingness to accept you into her friends/family as opposed to a sign of her willingness to accept your money into her friends/family.

Русский форум член.

I agree with you there too, but the reasoning behind taking the trip to see her in her own environment as opposed to meeting in a third country (especially for those who have never met their S/O) should have more to do with her proving she's accepting you into her life than you making it a point to meet all her cousins and grandparents and the extended family you're never going to see again.

Speaking for myself, I do plan on seeing these people again. I'm sure we'll be making trips back to Russia at least every couple years, possibly more frequently. I never saw the trip as proof of her acceptance, although I certainly would have been worried if she refused to meet in her home city. But by then we'd been talking and emailing for so long that it would have also been a big surprise since she always spoke of the people she wanted me to meet and the places she wanted to show me.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Not much positive information regarding agencies. There must be some reputable travel agencies in Russia that can give sound advice to Russians wishing to obtain a tourist visa to USA. I didn't see anyone so far identifying yourselves as Russian travel agents or consular officials. Debating each other about a trip to Russia that I am not planning on taking is not helping me much.

Is there anyone on this forum with positive first hand experience at obtaining a tourist visa to USA? Is there anyone who can give me concrete information on the income, property holding and familial obligation minimums required for getting a visa? Can anyone refer me to a reputable travel agency in Russia that can assist in obtaining a visa without ripping off me or anyone else involved?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's very easy for any girl to take an all-expenses-paid trip to a beach resort somewhere to meet with some rich guy for a week or two. It's significantly more difficult for her to accept you into her everyday life and have you become a part of her family and to get the approval of everyone she knows and loves.

Offer to go there. See what she says.

A lot of people on here disagree with my "proof" theory that she must prove to you that she's willing to do her part but I'm a whole-hearted believer in her putting forth just as much effort and willingness as you. The trip to Russia is what proves it.

I'll add my agreement to Slim and the others that meeting her in her natural habitat is a very good thing. Not only does it help to prove her honest intentions, but meeting a foreign guy can be a scary thing for her too, and being surrounded by her family and friends in her native country can help make it a pleasant experience for you both. My fiancee lives with her parents, so I got to spend a lot of time with them and with her sister (who lives in town) and it was wonderful. An added bonus was getting to have the 'talk' with her father!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.