grass

when could I work?

9 posts in this topic

:P I am applying for IR-1 visa. After I get interview and land at some POE of US, Could I work at once? If I get working permit when I land on US?Do I have to wait for some paper for woring permit?How long I have to wait for the paper if I need it?Thank you and have a good day!

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Your visa with the IR-1 stamp (or CR-1 stamp) makes you immediately eligible to work in the U.S.; however most American employers are not experts on immigration law and will want to see an actual green card. Also, most employers will need your Social Security number for payroll purposes.

So.... make sure you check the box "Yes" on the DS-230 Part 1 form, Item 33A, on the second question where it asks "Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card)...."

Then, when you actually arrive in the U.S. at your point of entry, the immigration officer will type you into the computer system. Wait a couple of weeks for the wheels of bureaucracy to grind. If 3 weeks pass and you still don't get an SS card in the mail, trot on down to your local Social Security office and apply for one there. You will need your passport and probably your birth and marriage certificates, certified and translated into English (if they're not already.) Check the Social Security website for details on what exactly is needed in your particular case... the rules vary in different circumstances.

Your green card should arrive automatically in 2-4 weeks. If not, you'll have to head on down to the nearest Immigration and Naturalization office, and apply for one there.

Once you have these documents, employers will feel confident that you're authorized to work in the U.S. I suggest you plan on spending those first few weeks simply adjusting to your new surroundings, then, armed with your green card and SS number, you can hit the streets to look for a job !

Wishing you the best of luck !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

SS office is also not immigration experts.

Stewart and I went Monday and he has to have his green card to get the SS...so stupid. She kept reading the word "Temporary" and thought it meant HE was temporary.

What is says is that is a TEMPORARY green card.

ugh - so wait for the green card - save yourself the hassle.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
SS office is also not immigration experts.

Stewart and I went Monday and he has to have his green card to get the SS...so stupid. She kept reading the word "Temporary" and thought it meant HE was temporary.

What is says is that is a TEMPORARY green card.

ugh - so wait for the green card - save yourself the hassle.

What?!

What says 'temporary'?

SSA has a picture of an MRIV and clear instruction that it is equivilant proof of status to an actual Green Card.

You got a numpty, she needs edumacatin.

If you applied via DS-230, wait 3 weeks. If nothing happens, then go to SSA. If the immigrant is in SAVE, you can apply for a card then and there, knowing that EAE didn't work for you.

OP: if you've applied for a Social Security account, you are eligible to start working the minute you step out of your POE.

If you need to apply for one, you don't go to the immigration office, you go to the SSA office. I recommend the Guides posted at the top of every page here. There is one specifically for Social Security numbers.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

:P Thank you:MarilynP. I will go to Montreal for interview and go to CA as well like you :D

My husband submitted I-864 at the beginning of March and got a reply for more doucments, And He mailed the required documents at the end of March. I mailed DS230 already. So what is the next and probably when I can get interview inform letter? I didin't get any letter to let me do medical exam before. Does it come with the interview inform letter? Thank you!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
:P what is EAD? Do I have to get EAD for working? When could I get it? come with the IR-1 visa or the SSN or the green card? Thank you and have a good day!

Please go read about your new status and everything it includes so we don't have to write it all out for you again:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/imm_guide.htm

Welcome to the United States:

A Guide for New Immigrants

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.