pattilou47

Lawyer or No Lawyer

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ! :thumbs:

The majority of us on here did just fine without a lawyer. IF your case has complicities, then a lawyer might be needed. My husband and I did the K1 without a lawyer and had no problems. We are now in AOS and filed it without the "help" of a lawyer.

Best wishes!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Welcome to VJ,

Like karen stated, if you have a simple case, dont waste your money on a lawyer. Everything you need to know is on this site. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

not all the way through yet but, as long as you read a lot on this website you should be fine without one. We are waiting for the interview for my fiancee I'll tell you after it whether it was a good idea or not.

Don't Let It Worry You

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Has anyone here actually gone through this process without a lawyer and had success ?

Im brand new here, any help is appreciated

Thanks a bunch !!

Yeah, I think most of us have/are! I was the same, it seemed like a LOAD of legal stuff best handled by a lawyer..but unless you have any skeletons in your or your fianc(é)e's closet, the FAQs, GUIDES and members of the forums are here for you.

I've had times when I've made simple things hard and people here have been great at giving you sound advice based on their experiences.

Peace,

Teddy

Even with a lawyer, its important to understand the process for yourself (Its long and involves alot of paperwork and waiting). If you do choose a lawyer, make sure he or she is an immigration lawyer that has handled K-1 cases before. A lawyer will not make the process go any faster, all applications go through the same queue.

keTiiDCjGVo

Whilst sites such as this offer great resources and experiences in order to do this yourself, a consult with a competent immigration attorney may not go astray. We do not always know the issues that may cause a delay or problems with our case down the track, so at least a consult may uncover any of these possible issues, which in turn may take away any possible heartache later when things go amiss and a petition is sent back for revocation.

There are many that have navigated this visa/immigration process without any major problems, but there are also those that perhaps would of faired better had they at least gotten some legal counsel to begin with.

All the best to you

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I found it quite simple to just do the K-1 myself without a lawyer. If no complicating matters exist, no use for a lawyer. You're still having to do all the same paperwork as you would you have gather and fill out and give to a lawyer. The more hands that involve themselves in your paperwork, the more likely errors will occur. This site and the knowledged people here are great at helping. Be sure to read and read to familiarize yourself with everything and you will see for yourself it is not difficult to do. But you have to stay ontop of the process. The difference is you mailing the completed paperwork yourself and giving it to a lawyer to send for you. I think it cost me about $12 to send all the required paperwork myself (excluding the $170 I-129F fee). A lawyer wanted to charge me $1500 to do the same thing. Hell of a price for a stamp! :bonk:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I found it quite simple to just do the K-1 myself without a lawyer. If no complicating matters exist, no use for a lawyer. You're still having to do all the same paperwork as you would you have gather and fill out and give to a lawyer. The more hands that involve themselves in your paperwork, the more likely errors will occur. This site and the knowledged people here are great at helping. Be sure to read and read to familiarize yourself with everything and you will see for yourself it is not difficult to do. But you have to stay ontop of the process. The difference is you mailing the completed paperwork yourself and giving it to a lawyer to send for you. I think it cost me about $12 to send all the required paperwork myself (excluding the $170 I-129F fee). A lawyer wanted to charge me $1500 to do the same thing. Hell of a price for a stamp! :bonk:

I have to agree with this guy. You still have to do all the legwork yourself with a lawyer. Basically a Lawyer is a 1500 dollar stamp. This site gives you all the help you need.

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 They sent I-129F back saying form is outdated

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Nov 28, 2006 NOA2 approved

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 7, 2006 NVC sends letter saying it will be forwarded to manila in a week

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! Cant kick her out now!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

we used a lawyer but honestly don't think it was necessary. We did it so that we wouldn't have the stress of worrying if it was done correctly. If i were to do it again i would go it alone.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

I have to agree with this guy. You still have to do all the legwork yourself with a lawyer. Basically a Lawyer is a 1500 dollar stamp. This site gives you all the help you need.

Yep, that ole' saying "Knowledge is Power" definitely applies to this situation. A lawyer has alot of other cases and alot of other things going on. If you do it yourself, learn the process yourself, etc, you can devote all the time you need to it. Interviewing a lawyer--if you hire one-- is probably the most important role. Not only do you want an immagration lawyer, but you want one with plenty experience.

Some immigration lawyers scare me. Some of the accounts I have read on this site alone put me off getting one. We MUCH prefere doing it on our own :)

Edited by tonyeck

Tony (UK) and Danielle (US) K-1 Visa journey

2007:

February, 06: Sent I-129f package to the US to be routed to Vermont

February, 09: I-129f forwarded to Vermont USCIS from US Home

February, 12: I-129f arrives VSC :) Journey really starts!

February, 13: NOA1 Reciept date

February, 16: VSC Cashes the check

March, 09: NOA2 Email. yay!

March, 11: Touched... Probably for the last time at VSC :)

March, 14: NVC Recieved package

March, 15: NVC Sent package to London

March, 20: Package recieved in London

March, 28: Packet 3 recieved!

April, 2: Packet 3 Sent back to London

April, 10: Packet 3 recieved by London Embassy

April, 17: Packet 4 recieved

May, 1: Medical

May, 29: Interview! - APPROVED

June, 1: Visa in Hand

July 18: Fly back together POE

July, 24: Legally married!

July 27: Filed for AOS

July 30: AOS recieved in Chiacgo

August 24: NOA1 for EAD, AP and AOS

September 15: Real Marriage with friends and family

September 18: Biometrics

October 3: EAD card production ordered!

October 11: EAD card in hand!

October 15: Case forwarded to California!

Nov, 08: Card production ordered! AWESOME

Nov, 15: Green Card Recieved (even though it's yellow)! AWESOME

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Has anyone here actually gone through this process without a lawyer and had success ?

Thanks a bunch !!

We did not use a Lawyer. Interview is March 13 at 8am! You probably do not need a Lawyer unless you have some serious legal issues in your past. The forms are simple, sometimes a little confusing. VJ gives 24/7 support, far more than you'd ever get from a Lawyer. But the Lawyer will take your money faster than VJ!

Edited by joeyjoey

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Pattilou47,

Good luck on your immigration journey! Yes, I think that it is a good idea to hire a lawyer, regardless of the situation, as you never know what might happen during the immigration process. Believe me, with something as important as immigration, hiring a lawyer is a wise investment! As well, if there are any complicated issues, or you make mistakes along the way, then the lawyer can help you out with the legal paperwork to make things easier paper-wise and time-wise. Also, the lawyer might be help you with the interview process, by attending the interview with you if need be.

For me, I did hire a lawyer for my situation, and I know it definately helped. If you need a recommendation for a good immigration lawyer, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to give you more info about the lawyer we hired.

Hope this helps.

Ant

Thanks a bunch !!

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.