4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good day. Just back from my Biometrics appt. originally scheduled for Dec 28 at 0900, but we were to be away in Florida, so sent off a request for a new date. new date was for today (Jan 11 at 1100) Arrived at 1035, I was 3rd person in line. Lady at front desk wants to see your Notice to appear letter and ID. She then asks to see your hands (Guess to ensure no scraps or cuts for the fingerprinting) She then puts ur letter to appear (NOA) and ID on the clipboard, as well as a sheet for you to fill out, hands you the clipboard and states once COMPLETELY filled out, hand it to the next counter!! Not much to fill out just your name, SSN, A#, Both of your parents first names, Where born, citizenship AND your ADDRESS!!! 3 out of 4 people that were in front of me for the second counter did NOT put down their address. So they lady tells them to sit down and put in the addy!! A few tried to just add it at the counter, and she would have none of that, so off they went to fill in the addy and back to the line!! Once at the second counter, she has a quick look over to ensure all is filled out, then hands you a #, I was lucky #51!! Then you sit and wait! Did not wait long, like 4 minutes!! Once the guy verbally calls out your #, handed him the clipboard, walk over to one of the stations, he scans your NOA, all the info comes up on the screen, he didn’t have much to add, just ur SSN and another few items!! Electronically takes ur right index finger, then picture time!! This took me by surprise (And he is probably incorrect) that I should receive my 10 Yr green card in 30 days if all goes well. Not overly concerned. I was in the door at 1035, and walked out the door by 1045!! Was not overly busy. Lots of FREE parking, did not see any washrooms. NO CELL PHONES allowed. They do not search you, so they would only know if you said yes!! No food or drinks. Was a very easy and painless evolution.

Only tips: keep cell phone in car, only person that requires biometrics is allowed in (not that much space in there) have your NOA and Green card at the ready, Ensure your completely fill in the 1 form you have to fill out, and listen for them to call your #. Soo many people just sat there when their # was called, lol Cheers, Scott

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have to pay an extra $70 for the biometrics? I assume that you paid the VSC for $205 for the I-751 petition. I sent out a check of $205 in November 2006 before the new fee and new form became available. The VSC cashed the check and I am scheduled for the Biometrics tomorrow 1/22/07 here in upstate New York. But now the new fee is $275, as far as I've known. So I was wondering if we need to make up the difference. Thanks!

Taxation12

Timeline

I paid the $205 as well, and went for my biometrics yesterday. I didn't pay anything additional, but brought my chequebook just in case! No money was taken from anyone at the biometrics office in Boston (most were getting it done for the citizenship test).

*~*~*~ CR Timeline ~*~*~*

Jan. 29 2004 -- NOA I-130

July 2 2004 -- RFE

Aug. 6 2004 -- NOA2 I-130 APPROVED!!

Nov. 10 2004 -- NVC completes case!!

...waiting for an interview date...day 300+ and counting...

Dec. 11 2004 -- NVC assigns interview for January 6 2005!

Jan. 6 2005 -- Approved!

Jan. 9 2005 -- Living in the US

Jan. 24 2005 -- Welcome to America letter received

Jan. 29 2005 -- Green card arrives! (15 business days after entry)

Feb. 3 2005 -- Gainfully employed

Feb. 7 2005 -- SS card comes in mail (re-applied in person Jan. 25 after DS-230 application resulted in nothing)

*~*~*~* Removing Conditions~*~*~*

Nov. 27 2006 -- filed I-751 to Vermont

Jan. 08 2007 -- received I-551 stamp received from Boston with Infopass appt (card expired tomorrow, no NOA; they took my green card :( )

Jan. 10 2007 -- NOA received (figures!! Dated 12/21/2006)

Jan. 11 2007 -- biometrics appt letter (Dated 01/05/2007)

Jan. 20 2007 -- biometrics done in Boston

Timeline

No, nothing extra, just the $205.00 when I mailed in the application

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.