mujercitanyc

Can my husband continue to work???

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My sweetie got here from Brasil almost 4 months ago. We're doing great and all is well on the marriage-front, however we have a question about work.

His 3-month work authorization (I-94) that he got at the airport upon his arrival expired about a month ago. He was working the entire time but is now no longer at that job. We've already applied for the Employment Authorization Card (I-765) and the Adjustment of Status, so all of that is in the works. My question is: Can he get another job at this time or does he have to wait for the actual card to arrive???? And lastly, if he were to stay at his previous job, would he be in violation if he continued to work there past the 3-month period?

We really need him to be working but also understand that if it's a "no-no", then he will just have to be patient.

Thanks y'all!!!! :thumbs:

11/08/2004 Mailed I-129F and waiting!!!

11/18/2004 NOA1 arrives!!!! (Vermont is the best!!)

11/22/2004 Read online that NOA2 had been approved!!

11/23/2004 On my way to visit my honey in Brazil with the best news ever!!! How incredibly fast was that?? And I get to spend one week in sunny Brazil loving him in celebration!!!

12/06/2004 Receive letter from National Visa center

12/20/2004 Fiance receives checklist package in Brazil

3/14/2005 Fiance mails checklist back to Rio consulate

5/14/2005 Fiance receives interview date in mail!!!!!

7/13/2005 Interview date in Rio...APPROVED!!!!!

9/15/2005 Fiance purchases roundtrip ticket to NYC!!!

9/30/2005 Expected arrival date!!!

10/13/2005 We get married!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Unfortunately, your husband is not eligible for employment until his 1-yr EAD card arrives. If he were to start, he would need to present the card to the employer within 3 days of his start date.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline

I've got a similar dilemma. My husband is authorized to work until March 25, 2006 on a temporary work authorization he received at JFK. We sent in his I-485 as well as the I-765 in January, so we thought he would get his permanent work authorization before his temporary authorization expired.

We called the Customer Service line at USCIS just to confirm that everything was ok, and two separate representatives said that the temporary work authorization automatically becomes invalid when you submit an application to adjust status! This seem ridiculous, given that most people apply to adjust immediately after they arrive, but this seems to be the official position.

Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Thanks so much!

Marisa

8/28 Sent Petition via FedEx

8/30 Petition delivered to VSC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I never found out if this was true or not, but I heard that if you are currently employed when your temp EAD expires and you have already filed your AOS paperwork including the EAD app, you can go to your local office to request an interim EAD, and you don't have to wait 90 days from NOA 1 to do so. This is only if you are employed at the time of the initial EAD expiration.

This is unconfirmed, however, it seems counterintuitive that they would require someone who is already working legally and has filed the appropriate paperwork to continue that authorization to stop working upon expiration of the initial EAD.

Filed: Timeline

I asked about this at infopass and the USCIS officer told me that if your temp EAD from K1 has expired you have to stop work until you actually have received the EAD that was filed along with your AOS... She said this is because you are no longer a K1 visa status as soon as you receive your NOA for AOS your status changes to Adjustment applicant pending... and you do not have work authorization until you receive your EAD card...

Kezzie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I asked about this at infopass and the USCIS officer told me that if your temp EAD from K1 has expired you have to stop work until you actually have received the EAD that was filed along with your AOS... She said this is because you are no longer a K1 visa status as soon as you receive your NOA for AOS your status changes to Adjustment applicant pending... and you do not have work authorization until you receive your EAD card...

Kezzie

Well, in that case, then wouldn't your temp EAD expire as soon as you get married? Once you're married, you're no longer K1 visa status either, since the K1 visa is only for fiances.

The whole thing really confounds me. What purpose does the temp EAD serve then? And the answer can't be "no purpose - don't bother getting one"; they must have instituted these practices for some reason.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Kezzie

Well, in that case, then wouldn't your temp EAD expire as soon as you get married? Once you're married, you're no longer K1 visa status either, since the K1 visa is only for fiances.

The whole thing really confounds me. What purpose does the temp EAD serve then? And the answer can't be "no purpose - don't bother getting one"; they must have instituted these practices for some reason.

Because it used to be that you could just walk into a DO and adjust on the spot... THe reason that this was done is that so people could step into a job when they entered on a K1, and then get married and go to the DO at their convenience before the 90 days were up.

We now know that this is not the case, however the INA provision that allows K1 to be EA has never been changed to reflect today's reality.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If a K-1 has employment on a temporary EAD, and has submitted the AOS application and received a NOA for the I-765, why wouln't this be a case of employment reverification?

What do you mean by that?

Also, K1 EAD (and an inherent work authorized status) is what allows someone on K1 to apply and get SSN. So at least there's some benefit to it. But it is confounding nonetheless.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Isn't it a case that when you're adjusting you're C9 EAD status, but your K1 has a different EAD code and so it's not an employment reverification?

I understand there to be some ongoing debate about when K1 work authorisation expires - some people say it's when you marry and no longer have K1 status, others say that it's the full 90 days. I don't know the answer, but I can see how it could interpreted either way.

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.