James&Christy

UK to US removals

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

Anyone got any particular recommendations for international removals firms between the UK and the US?

I have also contacted one airline who say I can take up to five pieces of luggage in total. Each piece can be 22kg for $110, or 32kg for $135. Calculating that, surely i can fit my life into 160kg? :) That said, it would be cheaper than the first quote I've had for international removals!

Any advice?

:help:

Edited by James&Christy

Jun 2004 Met online at MBA4

Jul 2004 Fell in love

30 Nov 2004 Met in person in the US for the first time

03 Apr 2005 Three week vacation together in Chicago and Kansas City!

25 Jul 2005 James visits United States to propose. See Branson Balloon Website

27 Sep 2005 K-1 filed!

28 Sep 2005 K-1 petition received by government

04 Oct 2005 Got NOA1 in the mail

18 Oct 2005 Got NOA2 confirmation email! Less than a month!!!!

17 Nov 2005 Received packet 3

24-30 Nov 2005 James visits U.S. for Thanksgiving

08 Dec 2005 Received medical results. Everything ok!

19 Dec 2005 Sent packet 3

30 Dec 2005 - 4 Jan 2006 James visits U.S. for New Year!

17 Jan 2006 Sent packet 3 in AGAIN, after embassy said they had no record of the first one!

19 Jan 2006 Received packet 4 (interview date). No connection with mailing on 17 Jan! Interview set for 9:30 on Tue 7th Feb.

07 Feb 2006 APPROVED!!!

01 Apr 2006 James due to fly to America

09 Apr 2006 Wedding date!!

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

First thing I would say is to take this opportunity to have a 'life laundry' moment and get rid of a lot of the things you don't really need. Anything you haven't used or enjoyed in the past year is something you probably shouldn't consider paying to ship over. Books are a biggy. Anyone who ships endless paperbacks over here must be crazy. The amount you must be paying for the weight of them, you'd probably be able to buy them all again.

It entirely depends on what you're bringing. I brought books (professional ones), CDs, clothes, personal stuff etc. and used UPS along with taking extra baggage when I came over. I also slowly moved stuff with each trip I made over which helped a lot.

If you're not moving any furniture or large items I would definietly go with the extra baggage idea. It's so much easier and less hassle than packing up for shippers and not seeing your stuff for months. UPS or FedEx or any of those other big shippers are pretty reliable and quick.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

I will ask here as I had no luck int he UK old forum - how do you guesstimate the WEIGHT of stuff?

I cant be using my bathroom scales for things - its just not practical - I have a lot f books - and yes Ive gotten rid of literally HUNDREDS so the ones left are my 'must haves'; I'll have DVDs, a couple of large objects, couple pictures in frames, photo albums (several years worth of world travel, gotta keep those! lol) kids toys, a keyboard(music), clothing and shoes.

The clothes and shoes and prolly the DVDs I'm gonna take on the flight - and pay for excess if needs be - the other stuff I'm thinking myabe the company excessbaggage.com - but I still need to know roughly the WEIGHT cos thats what they ALL base their pricing on.

Help! lol

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Jaylen you probably can use the bathroom scales. Providing they're reasonably accurate, just put the box on the scales and try to see the dial :)

That's what I'm gonna do.

Or get a set that speaks the weight ;)

Edited by James&Christy

Jun 2004 Met online at MBA4

Jul 2004 Fell in love

30 Nov 2004 Met in person in the US for the first time

03 Apr 2005 Three week vacation together in Chicago and Kansas City!

25 Jul 2005 James visits United States to propose. See Branson Balloon Website

27 Sep 2005 K-1 filed!

28 Sep 2005 K-1 petition received by government

04 Oct 2005 Got NOA1 in the mail

18 Oct 2005 Got NOA2 confirmation email! Less than a month!!!!

17 Nov 2005 Received packet 3

24-30 Nov 2005 James visits U.S. for Thanksgiving

08 Dec 2005 Received medical results. Everything ok!

19 Dec 2005 Sent packet 3

30 Dec 2005 - 4 Jan 2006 James visits U.S. for New Year!

17 Jan 2006 Sent packet 3 in AGAIN, after embassy said they had no record of the first one!

19 Jan 2006 Received packet 4 (interview date). No connection with mailing on 17 Jan! Interview set for 9:30 on Tue 7th Feb.

07 Feb 2006 APPROVED!!!

01 Apr 2006 James due to fly to America

09 Apr 2006 Wedding date!!

I will ask here as I had no luck int he UK old forum - how do you guesstimate the WEIGHT of stuff?

Yeah I always use my bathroom scales - it is a bit awkward seeing the actual weight but better than nothing.

I am flying with BMI. They have no limit on the quantity of cases you can take. They allow 2 cases weighing 32kg each, and then it costs approx £40 per additional case (32kg). I think I am going to be taking 7 cases, (2 full of books and 5 for everything else). I found that Wilkinsons sells big cases for £16 each which is not too bad.

I did look at using shipping companies such as excessbaggage but they are way overpriced. Probably ok for stuff that won’t fit into a case but that's it. FYI they quoted me £540.

Now how do I get them to the airport :blink:

Yorkie

AOS

03-23-06: AOS Package mailed to Chicago

04-11-06: Infopass Appointment

05-20-06: I-765 Biometrics Apt.

05-25-06: I-765 Touched

06-01-06: I-485 Biometrics Apt.

06-01-06: I-485 Touched

06-03-06: I-485 Touched

06-26-06: Infopass Appointment for EAD - 90 Day EAD Given

06-28-06: I-765 Touched

06-30-06: I-765 Approved

07-21-06: I-485 Application Transferred to CSC

08-09-06: I-485 Touched

08-18-06: I-485 Welcome notice mailed out.

08-21-06: Greencard Received

-----------------------------------

06-26-08: I-751 Package mailed to NSC

07-07-08: NOA1 Received (Case Transferred to CSC)

08-08-08: I-751 Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics completed via walk-in on 07-25-08)

23-10-08: Card Production Ordered

it is difficult to know the best/cheapest way but if you hve limited items then if you can do "cargo" on the same flight and also excess baggage I think that would be a good way.

We are using an international removals company because we will be moving some furniture, but just for an example we have been quoted £1,985 and that is for 2 double beds, 1 three seater and 1 two seater sofa, 2 large box coffee tables, rugs, 3 chests of drawers (two of them are long ones) and 16 boxes plus (if I decide to take it because it is lovely) my garden furniture which is all hand made and consists of a round table and four really big armchairs plus my chimera, so I do not think that is too bad at all.

I did check excessbaggage as a comparison for the above and they were more expensive. All this is packed for me and is door to door.

We are also shipping our two rotteweillers as cargo so I will also check out how much I will be able to send some boxes as cargo on the same flight and will also take some excess baggage. I would rather get all my clothes out asap rather than wait 6 weeks!

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Yep, I used bathroom scales. If individual things are big or bulky, hold them and get on the scales yourself to work out the weight. The weight was a guesstimate, and UPS said they would weigh them, but as it turned out, they took my estimate and never weighed them as the final weight remained the same. I can't imagine I would have been that accurate with it.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Is "removals" a British term? Never heard of this word used to indicate "moving stuff."

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Stand on bathroom scale with bag in hand, then subtract your weight from the total. That has helped me a lot in the past.

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

Filed: Timeline

there is something called shipping scales...the platform is the scale, and there's a little countertop readout that's not attached to it.

I got it in costco here in fl...granted, I know I'm talking in the us, but I know there's costco in the Uk as well.

This thing has been a lifesaver!

682299cL.jpg

• 1 month later...

BUMP

I am now looking for a method of moving items from UK to USA. Most importantly, my Apple Mac computer.

Can y'all please post links to places you can recommend or have heard of.

Thanks!

~James

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

• 1 month later...
it is difficult to know the best/cheapest way but if you hve limited items then if you can do "cargo" on the same flight and also excess baggage I think that would be a good way.

We are using an international removals company because we will be moving some furniture, but just for an example we have been quoted £1,985 and that is for 2 double beds, 1 three seater and 1 two seater sofa, 2 large box coffee tables, rugs, 3 chests of drawers (two of them are long ones) and 16 boxes plus (if I decide to take it because it is lovely) my garden furniture which is all hand made and consists of a round table and four really big armchairs plus my chimera, so I do not think that is too bad at all.

I did check excessbaggage as a comparison for the above and they were more expensive. All this is packed for me and is door to door.

We are also shipping our two rotteweillers as cargo so I will also check out how much I will be able to send some boxes as cargo on the same flight and will also take some excess baggage. I would rather get all my clothes out asap rather than wait 6 weeks!

If you don't mind me asking, who did you get the quote from? We had a quote from Robinsons of £1985 for 300 cubic feet and £1355 for 200 cubic feet. We do not plan on taking any furniture but will be taking a lot of books and personal belongings (my china set, etc.) - too much to take on as carry-on, and we're in no hurry so cargo ship will be much better than UPS or FedEx. That was also a door-to-door quote which included packing. We thought that sounded pretty reasonable, but I would like to get a few more quotes before we commit. So if anyone has any other removal companies they would like to recommend, I'm all ears!! :D

CR-1:

14-Dec-05: Sent I-130 to London for DCF

28-Dec-05: Letter from Embassy denying due to LLR

17-Jan-06: RFE from TX due to "lack of payment"; USCIS won't accept credit card form from Embassy

01-Feb-06: Sent new I-130 to TX with personal check

13-Feb-06: NOA1

02-June-06: NOA2

05-June-06: Case received at NVC; case # assigned

26-June-06: DS-3032 Choice of Agent rec'd via snail mail

06-July-06: DS-3032 COA mailed; AOS bill mailed

24-July-06: IV bill generated

31-July-06: I-864 rec'd via snail mail; IV bill rec'd

31-Aug-06: IV bill mailed (delayed due to move to US)

21-Sep-06: DS-230 rec'd via snail mail

02-Oct-06: DS-230 & I-864 mailed

08-Nov-06: Case completed at NVC & forwarded to London Embassy!!!

28-Feb-07: Final Interview at London Embassy

01-Mar-07: Visa in hand!!!

Removal of Conditions:

16-Feb-09: I-751 sent to VSC

23-Feb-09: I-751 NOA1

10-Apr-09: Biometrics Appt

02-Sep-09: Approved - 10-yr Green Card Production Ordered

From another immigration forum i got a recomendation for this firm 'White's' based In birmingham but see no reason why they wouldn't go elsewhere in the UK.

Here's their link - http://www.whitesremovals.co.uk/

The person that recommended them said she had 8 18x18 inch boxes, it cost around 350 - £400 and took 6 weeks to arrive and was door to door service.

I'm gonna get a quote off them msyelf in a couple weeks :)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.