Avery

In the Sea of Domicile

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After my husbands abrupt trip to Ohio (he is so sick of traveling) and running around in Ohio doing all of this and then having to cancel his return flight to finish up, he is now on a bus home, I overnight-ed our domicile information yesterday, estimated arrival is today at noon. Yea! for FedEx. However being the insane worry wart of worriers; lol I am hoping that the you all fine people could go over what I sent and give me that "It'll be ok, you're just being a moron." speech. =D

This is the letter that we sent and included a list of everything we sent with it (copies only) along with my passport. (scariest thing ever to be sending through the mail)

Our Name

Our Address

October 20, 2009

U.S. Consulate General

ATTN: IV Unit

1155 rue St. Alexandre

Montreal, PQ

H3B 3Z1

RE: MTL######

RE: My Name

Vice Consul of the United States of America;

On the 13th of October 2009, I (husband, petitioner) was requested to provide additional proof regarding my domicile in regards to my wife's (me, applicant) visa application. The following is the information we have collected in regards to this request.

1.Lease agreement between myself and place of resident in Shelby Ohio where we will be living. Dated October 19,2009

2.Job Offer from Best Buy in Mansfield Ohio with completed drug test information. Dated October 17, 2009

3.Driver's License Renewed in the state of Ohio. Dated October 20, 2009

4.Voter's Registration. When completing the driver's application for renewal I was also registered to vote for the state of Ohio. Unfortunately they had no additional paperwork to photocopy for proof as it was done electronically.

5.New bank account for chequing and savings account with Nation City Bank created so that my wife may have a joint account upon arrival. Dated October 19, 2009

6.Letter requesting payment of city taxes for the year of 2008 and attached sheet stating why there was no income for 2008. Dated September 28, 2009 and October 19, 2009

7.U-Hual quote for move from Winnipeg, MB Canada to Shelby, OH USA requested for our intending leave date of November 1st, 2009. Dated October 20, 2009

8.Credit Card statement from Capital One Visa account indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of September 4, 2009 – October 3, 2009

9.Credit Card statement from Chase Card Services account indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of September 13, 2009 – October 12, 2009

10.Credit Card statement from US Bank Visa account indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of August 27, 2009 – September 23, 2009

11.US Bank account statement indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of August 15, 2009 – September 15, 2009

We hope that the information we have provided will meet the requirement requested regarding domicile.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Sincerely,

Husband's Name

*crossing fingers* I hope it goes fast and I hope they aren't more insane than I am and request more information. Just cause I have that irrational sinking feeling that they will. ><

Thank you guys! <3 =D

Edited by Avery

Helen Keller: “A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.”

I hope it all goes well for you guys. I've been watching your journey with interest as our situations are very similar....we're even in the same province (We're in Thompson). We just filed our I-130 in Calgary on Monday. Anyway, let us know how it turns out. It's giving us a better idea of what we'll need for our interview in Montreal.

Dawn

After my husbands abrupt trip to Ohio (he is so sick of traveling) and running around in Ohio doing all of this and then having to cancel his return flight to finish up, he is now on a bus home, I overnight-ed our domicile information yesterday, estimated arrival is today at noon. Yea! for FedEx. However being the insane worry wart of worriers; lol I am hoping that the you all fine people could go over what I sent and give me that "It'll be ok, you're just being a moron." speech. =D

This is the letter that we sent and included a list of everything we sent with it (copies only) along with my passport. (scariest thing ever to be sending through the mail)

Our Name

Our Address

October 20, 2009

U.S. Consulate General

1155 rue St. Alexandre

Montreal, PQ

H3B 3Z1

On the 13th of October 2009, I (husband, petitioner) was requested to provide additional proof regarding my domicile in regards to my wife's (me, applicant) visa application. The following is the information we have collected in regards to this request.

1.Lease agreement between myself and place of resident in Shelby Ohio where we will be living. Dated October 19,2009

2.Job Offer from Best Buy in Mansfield Ohio with completed drug test information. Dated October 17, 2009

4.Voter's Registration. When completing the driver's application for renewal I was also registered to vote for the state of Ohio. Unfortunately they had no additional paperwork to photocopy for proof as it was done electronically.

5.New bank account for chequing and savings account with Nation City Bank created so that my wife may have a joint account upon arrival. Dated October 19, 2009

6.Letter requesting payment of city taxes for the year of 2008 and attached sheet stating why there was no income for 2008. Dated September 28, 2009 and October 19, 2009

7.U-Hual quote for move from Winnipeg, MB Canada to Shelby, OH USA requested for our intending leave date of November 1st, 2009. Dated October 20, 2009

8.Credit Card statement from Capital One Visa account indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of September 4, 2009 – October 3, 2009

9.Credit Card statement from Chase Card Services account indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of September 13, 2009 – October 12, 2009

10.Credit Card statement from US Bank Visa account indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of August 27, 2009 – September 23, 2009

11.US Bank account statement indicating maintained account and continued ties. Period of August 15, 2009 – September 15, 2009

We hope that the information we have provided will meet the requirement requested regarding domicile.

Sincerely,

Husband's Name

*crossing fingers* I hope it goes fast and I hope they aren't more insane than I am and request more information. Just cause I have that irrational sinking feeling that they will. ><

Thank you guys! <3 =D

Timeline

Just a word of caution, don't get your hopes up on this getting done in 4 weeks. Backlog in Montreal has resulted in significant delay in this process as well - this is 9 weeks waiting for us and another member is at 7 weeks now...sorry to be the bearer of the bad news but good luck!

Timeline

Good luck, AVery! I am not a good person to be doling out this kind of advice but I just wanted to wish you tons of luck!

Speedy, speedy!

:)

LGG

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Thank you guys! <3 I am hoping be fedexing it to the door they will take a look at it right away! As apposed to sending it to some po box where they collect the stuff from! lol

Sending lots of luck your way LGG, I've been waiting to see your interview go up! >< I am hoping maybe you will see something by this weekend! =D

Helen Keller: “A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.”

• 1 month later...
Timeline
I hope it all goes well for you guys. I've been watching your journey with interest as our situations are very similar....we're even in the same province (We're in Thompson). We just filed our I-130 in Calgary on Monday. Anyway, let us know how it turns out. It's giving us a better idea of what we'll need for our interview in Montreal.

Dawn

Our Name

Our Address

October 20, 2009

U.S. Consulate General

1155 rue St. Alexandre

Montreal, PQ

H3B 3Z1

Sincerely,

Husband's Name

Thank you guys! <3 =D

How do we get a tLetter requesting payment of city taxes for the year of 2008 and what was the letter stating that there was no income for 2008 go with....sorry im just confused with this part...please help! Thanks.

Timeline

For the taxes, if you had little to no income in a year, you are not required to file a U.S. tax return. Each year, on the 1040 form instructions they tell you what the income cut off is for that year - it's around the 3 thousand dollar amount.

The previous years forms are here: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=98339,00.html

So for instance if you look at the 2008 1040 form instructions, page 8:

2008.jpg

So, for instance, if you would have filed married filing separately and you made under $3,500 - then you are not required to file a return.

That is the letter Avery is talking about:

From the I-864, page 8:

If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I should clarify that what I wrote about above is in regard to Federal income taxes, Avery might have been talking about city taxes, but that's not how I read it, I read it as 2 separate items - city taxes and federal taxes.

I just thought it was strange, Neela, that they said you have to file your taxes, when in fact you had no income, that is also not in their instructions. I guess he is just making it up as he goes along.

That said, maybe he (the CO) somehow believes that filing a return when you have no income in some way goes toward proving your intent to reestablish domicile - who knows.

Timeline
I should clarify that what I wrote about above is in regard to Federal income taxes, Avery might have been talking about city taxes, but that's not how I read it, I read it as 2 separate items - city taxes and federal taxes.

I just thought it was strange, Neela, that they said you have to file your taxes, when in fact you had no income, that is also not in their instructions. I guess he is just making it up as he goes along.

That said, maybe he (the CO) somehow believes that filing a return when you have no income in some way goes toward proving your intent to reestablish domicile - who knows.

Thanks Trailmix! Also, I'm confused about the city/state taxes. I was trying to research how to get my hands on that but ofcourse I wasnt able to find anything. If you could help that would be great!!!

Timeline

We thought the City Taxes thing was strange as well, but they required him to go down to the city office and pay taxes or they were going to charge him. We have the official letter and seal and everything. LOL Shelby, OH for those who are interested. So it was a city document where we were staying dated after our interview that we included.

Yes we are already in the US. Arrived two days ago. @_@ 24 hr drive in a u-hual with 2 cats.

Timeline

Dawn

Our Name

Our Address

October 20, 2009

U.S. Consulate General

1155 rue St. Alexandre

Montreal, PQ

H3B 3Z1

Sincerely,

Husband's Name

Thank you guys! <3 =D

Hello there!

Just a quick question I would like to ask...Did you send copies or originals for all the documents listed above? For example, did you send in your husband's actual driver's license? Thanks a bunch!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.