WeatherEmperor

Time Line, Relative List, Letter of Intent

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey guys,

I have been doing alot of reading the last day or so on VJ and oh boy was I in for a rude awakening. My fiance' (Thu) is currently in Vietnam and I told her that the entire K-1 Visa process from the day I submit the I-129F to the day she gets the K-1 will take about 6-7 months......but then I learned about the horror stories from some of you in terms of being stuck on the AP list for months and months. I am about a week away from having my I-129F packet ready for submission and I have big time questions about the required Time Line and Relative Lists:

First, do I submit the Time Line with my I-129F or at a later day? If at a later date, what date would that be or in what phase of the process would this be?

Second, I have seen posts of members that say they got the Blue Sheet because they did not include a Relative List. I am assuming this Relative List is for the beneficiary(in this case my fiance'). Should this list include the beneficiary's family inside the US or inside Vietnam?

Lastly, I understand I have to include a Letter of Intent to marry my fiance' within 90 days of entry in the US. My attorney told me that I do not have to submit this. He advised me and my fiance' to write a letter on how we met, what made us fall in love. We signed it, then scanned and emailed it to my attorney.

I don't really want to go through this alone so I decided to join VJ and ask you guys for help. I hope that is okay. :)

<CARRICK>

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hey guys,

I have been doing alot of reading the last day or so on VJ and oh boy was I in for a rude awakening. My fiance' (Thu) is currently in Vietnam and I told her that the entire K-1 Visa process from the day I submit the I-129F to the day she gets the K-1 will take about 6-7 months......but then I learned about the horror stories from some of you in terms of being stuck on the AP list for months and months. I am about a week away from having my I-129F packet ready for submission and I have big time questions about the required Time Line and Relative Lists:

First, do I submit the Time Line with my I-129F or at a later day? If at a later date, what date would that be or in what phase of the process would this be?

Second, I have seen posts of members that say they got the Blue Sheet because they did not include a Relative List. I am assuming this Relative List is for the beneficiary(in this case my fiance'). Should this list include the beneficiary's family inside the US or inside Vietnam?

Lastly, I understand I have to include a Letter of Intent to marry my fiance' within 90 days of entry in the US. My attorney told me that I do not have to submit this. He advised me and my fiance' to write a letter on how we met, what made us fall in love. We signed it, then scanned and emailed it to my attorney.

I don't really want to go through this alone so I decided to join VJ and ask you guys for help. I hope that is okay. :)

<CARRICK>

Here is my perception of things...

1. Include a timeline of relationship with the 129F because in theory anything that USCIS is aware of already can't be used against you at HCMC. Save an electronic copy as you will continue your timeline until you complete it to be taken with her to the interview. Be sure that what is in the initial version corresponds with that content in the second version. She will need to know everything that is in the timeline when it comes to the inteview.

2. Her relatives in the US, where they live, and any relationship that you have with any of them.. Its common to have the USC know the family of the VNC and that is how they met.. if its the case.. they will needs to know the details to understand that it is not a fraud arrangement.

3. Attorney? man o man..whats he doin for ya?. it is very common for people to use the letter of intent to marry. An original signed letter from each submitted with the original petition. You will also submit two more copies later at the interview, but they will have been dated to correspond with the interview.

It is best to frontload the timeline and list of relatives to address the issue before you get to HCMC. Document everything all along the way and stay well organized. Getting through USCIS will be the easy part.. the big hurdle will be the consulate... Think about the entire journey when you prepare the initial petition. try to think like a CO whenever you put things together to submit them...

Keep reading as much as you can here and be sure that she knows everything about you and your family when the time comes.... If you have not had any engagement ceremony in VN it is a good idea to have one... it could be the difference between getting a visa and not getting it. There are plenty here to help you get things in order before you file... keep asking questions and take your time making sure everything is in order.. all check boxes checked, all spaces that need NA or none having the correct response... make sure everything that needs to be signed is signed and an original signature when required...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Scott,

In your personal opinion do you think I should ditch my attorney based on what he told me about the letter of intent? I mean he basically said I don't need it. As for the timeline, who did you use to notarize your document? I am thinking about using Pak Mail to notarize my timeline. Would this be a good idea? Here is one more interesting piece of information. Would getting pregnant complicate or destroy our hopes of getting the K-1? She is definitely not having a baby but I just want to cover all the bases. What are you doing in your petition to make sure you can prove to the Vietnam Consulate that your relationship is real because it almost feels like whatever people around here do, they get stuck in AP. I just want to know what your setup is to see if I can try some of your ideas as well.

<CARRICK>

Hey guys,

<CARRICK>

Here is my perception of things...

1. Include a timeline of relationship with the 129F because in theory anything that USCIS is aware of already can't be used against you at HCMC. Save an electronic copy as you will continue your timeline until you complete it to be taken with her to the interview. Be sure that what is in the initial version corresponds with that content in the second version. She will need to know everything that is in the timeline when it comes to the inteview.

2. Her relatives in the US, where they live, and any relationship that you have with any of them.. Its common to have the USC know the family of the VNC and that is how they met.. if its the case.. they will needs to know the details to understand that it is not a fraud arrangement.

3. Attorney? man o man..whats he doin for ya?. it is very common for people to use the letter of intent to marry. An original signed letter from each submitted with the original petition. You will also submit two more copies later at the interview, but they will have been dated to correspond with the interview.

It is best to frontload the timeline and list of relatives to address the issue before you get to HCMC. Document everything all along the way and stay well organized. Getting through USCIS will be the easy part.. the big hurdle will be the consulate... Think about the entire journey when you prepare the initial petition. try to think like a CO whenever you put things together to submit them...

Keep reading as much as you can here and be sure that she knows everything about you and your family when the time comes.... If you have not had any engagement ceremony in VN it is a good idea to have one... it could be the difference between getting a visa and not getting it. There are plenty here to help you get things in order before you file... keep asking questions and take your time making sure everything is in order.. all check boxes checked, all spaces that need NA or none having the correct response... make sure everything that needs to be signed is signed and an original signature when required...

K1 Visa Stage
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.

Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Check your K1 post to see some answers that a couple of us have just posted.

If you feel confident completing the forms and gathering the evidence and documents an attorney is not needed. If you have some issued in your past or relationship that need to be overcome, then an attorney may be advisable.

Having a child won't complicate the visa process, but it doesn't make things any faster or easier. It also raises the income requirements for the petitioner, and HCMC does not accept co-sponsors for the I-134 submitte with the K1.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Scott,

In your personal opinion do you think I should ditch my attorney based on what he told me about the letter of intent? I mean he basically said I don't need it. As for the timeline, who did you use to notarize your document? I am thinking about using Pak Mail to notarize my timeline. Would this be a good idea? Here is one more interesting piece of information. Would getting pregnant complicate or destroy our hopes of getting the K-1? She is definitely not having a baby but I just want to cover all the bases. What are you doing in your petition to make sure you can prove to the Vietnam Consulate that your relationship is real because it almost feels like whatever people around here do, they get stuck in AP. I just want to know what your setup is to see if I can try some of your ideas as well.

<CARRICK>

Any nortary is fine.... You likely know someone that is a notary and dont know they are one... pregnant does not help one bit, they dont care about that... wait for the right ime to do that... You dont want her stuck in VN with a baby do you? It all boils down to documenting the relatiuonship and addressing any red flags that Jim mentioned in the other discussion.. look ayt the list of red flags and think about what the CO is looking for.. and like I said before.. start thinking like a CO... what will they look at about your case that makes them say hmmmmmm ? if you can think of anything... address it . if you are not sure how to address it.. ask someone here... all of the normal documentation is required.. the boarding passes, itineraries, hotel recpts. food receipts... pics of you and her with relatives.. happy photos.. not the cheezy posed stuff... they want to see that you guys are a real couple and are happy together... Like I said before.. her attitude and her responses at the interview can make a huge difference... the paperwork just lays the foundation for their decision...

You are off to a good start...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Scott,

That sounds excellent. The more I reading I do at VJ, the more I realize that Thu and I need more time. I am starting to think that right now is not the time to begin filing for the K-1. Thu and I just need to be patient. We need more research and more time. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I am abandoning the K-1 Visa. I just think that we need more time. Scott, I met Thu in Singapore while we were both on vacation. So while we put the K-1 Visa on hold, would you recommend that I go visit her in Vietnam or if she visits me in Florida? Would that be ok for now is that bad?

<CARRICK>

K1 Visa Stage

Timeline

Doubtful she will get a visitor visa. You guys NEED to do a Dam Hoi/Dinh Hon over there. Really tough to do the fiancee visa without it.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
Scott,

That sounds excellent. The more I reading I do at VJ, the more I realize that Thu and I need more time. I am starting to think that right now is not the time to begin filing for the K-1. Thu and I just need to be patient. We need more research and more time. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I am abandoning the K-1 Visa. I just think that we need more time. Scott, I met Thu in Singapore while we were both on vacation. So while we put the K-1 Visa on hold, would you recommend that I go visit her in Vietnam or if she visits me in Florida? Would that be ok for now is that bad?

<CARRICK>

She wont be able to visit you in FL until she gets a visa. Best chances are you visiting her in VN. I'd recommend taking it slow. I'm one of those in AP but it doesn't bother me too much cause it gives me a reason to take long vacations!! :)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline

Let me ask you a question. I read your timeline and you seem to have done everything right. How come they placed you on the AP list? Also how come my fiance' would not be able to get a visitor visa to come to the US?

<CARRICK>

Scott,

<CARRICK>

She wont be able to visit you in FL until she gets a visa. Best chances are you visiting her in VN. I'd recommend taking it slow. I'm one of those in AP but it doesn't bother me too much cause it gives me a reason to take long vacations!! :)

K1 Visa Stage

Timeline

I personally did not front load my 129F with a timeline or list of relatives and was fine. I have seen many here for awhile now doing it and all of a sudden there have many blue slips and AP's.

Since you hired the attorney than I assume you have paid them so may as well use them but please double and triple check all paperwork and send it in yourself. Many here on VJ have hired attorneys and had the paperwork screwed up and had to redo everything. I would never trust anyone else even if paying them to do something this important. They get paid the same regardless if they mess up. There is a 129F guide that you can read and follow to make sure that you know what to do.

The intent to marry is vital at the beginning. Makes me wonder if your attorney knows what they are doing. Good luck and God bless.

Timeline

I think everyone is barking up the wrong tree by assuming that they can't use anything against you at the embassy if it is or was addressed already by front loading anything. They are trying to see if there is a real intent and no fraud to issue a visa and will and can use any means at their disposal they can.

Timeline

The relative list seems to be a standard request when both are Viet.

Every person applying for a visa is assumed to have immigrant intent. That is how the USCIS approaches things. Most typical Vietnamese citizens cannot show strong enough ties to home to make the CO's feel confident that they will return to VN. If she has a good paying job, owns a home, owns a business, and has a good amount of money in teh bank, she may be successful in getting a visa. Many of us have explored the visitor visa and saw the futility of even applying.

Timeline
I think everyone is barking up the wrong tree by assuming that they can't use anything against you at the embassy if it is or was addressed already by front loading anything. They are trying to see if there is a real intent and no fraud to issue a visa and will and can use any means at their disposal they can.

Agreed, the reason that Marc Ellis and other recommend the front loading is that it gets more info in the file so that when the CO in HCMC reviews your case prior to the interview they can get a better sense of the bona fides of the relationship. Submitting a lot of weak evidence won't help.

Preparing things properly in conjunction with a solid relationship is the best strategy. If your "love story" doesn't pass the smell test, don't expect pink (the color of the approval letter).

Timeline
The relative list seems to be a standard request when both are Viet.

Every person applying for a visa is assumed to have immigrant intent. That is how the USCIS approaches things. Most typical Vietnamese citizens cannot show strong enough ties to home to make the CO's feel confident that they will return to VN. If she has a good paying job, owns a home, owns a business, and has a good amount of money in teh bank, she may be successful in getting a visa. Many of us have explored the visitor visa and saw the futility of even applying.

Go visit her while the tickets are cheap man.. Around 750 RT from Ft Myers was a great deal for me... I had 50 students apply for tourist visa last month to come here for graduation.. 21 were denied... they dont give visas away there... its like winning the lotto... so dont count on her getting a visa to the US to visit..

Timeline

Also submitting a lot of info in front loading the 129F may also give a lot of ammunition to deny. It is fairly easy to send in what is required to get the 129F ok'ed like I did of course but what if a certain something in a timeline or a couple of things may not match up exactly. The embassy person that has the case file may have doubts about other things and may even be prejudiced against the case before the interview and may cause unneeded hardship. Also we know there is nowhere that it asks for this stuff that people get asked for such as timeline and list of relatives that get demanded after the interview. You produce it and then a pink comes like we got. You follow their game plan on their playing field and get what we come for. Now all of a sudden they are seeing this stuff front loaded. The same stuff that they used to hold off making a decision for a few days to get with whoever at the embassy to say if they think a visa is justified or not. Now they see this stuff coming in being front loaded. You are breaking up their game plan. They have to question why many are doing this all of a sudden. I am sure they know about this and other sites out there and figure now the fraudsters are going to be doing the same thing exactly. It is hard to explain exactly where I am going with this but one thing is plain and recently many here on this site is all of a sudden going into AP.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.