5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hate starting a new thread, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question and I'd really appreciate your input.

I'm working on the I-134 for my fiance, and I'm not sure if I'm going to need a co-sponsor.

Last year I was unemployed from January until August when I got a full-time job for a company with whom I'm still employed. My only W-2 income I had last year was for the four months I was employed. My gross income was $10,218. This obviously doesn't meet the $18,000 needed for a two person household.

However, my income has been steady for the past year. I have all of my paystubs, the latest of which states my gross pay this year to date is $15,916.

Will a letter from my employer along with my paystubs be sufficient to prove I have the means to support, despite the low number on my 2008 tax return? Or will I need to line up a co-sponsor even though my current income (which I've been earning for a year now) is well over 125% of poverty level?

Thanks for your help!

K-1 process:

05-05-2009: Mailed I-129F

05-15-2009: NOA1

05-20-2009: Check cashed

08-19-2009: NOA2 Email

08-24-2009: NOA2 Hardcopy

08-24-2009: NVC In

08-26-2009: NVC Out

08-28-2009: Consulate Received

09-03-2009: Packet 3 Received

09-04-2009: Packet 3 Returned (via fax)

09-04-2009: Interview date (by email)

09-08-2009: Packet 4 received

09-16-2009: Medical Appointment

09-17-2009: Interview

09-22-2009: Visa in hand

10-20-2009?: POE

10-31-2009: Legal marriage

05-22-2010: <3 Our wedding <3

Our wait is almost over <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. As Greg and I understood, MOST embassies in different countries would just want to see if the petitioner has a regular job (present) or income (for those engaged in business/self-employment) at the time of the interview with an income meeting the requirements. For those with less than the requirement, they need to present statement of ASSETS, especially bank statements showing a sizable liquidity in them.

Mr. and Mrs. Jaime Ferdinand Espiritu

request the honor of your presence

at the marriage of their daughter

Angelie Helena

to

Gregory William Preston

Thursday, the Fifth of November

Two Thousand and Nine

at Six O'clock in the Evening

Preston Estate

Wetherington Drive, Cincinnati

Will a letter from my employer along with my paystubs be sufficient to prove I have the means to support, despite the low number on my 2008 tax return? Or will I need to line up a co-sponsor even though my current income (which I've been earning for a year now) is well over 125% of poverty level?

Should be fine, yes - the Embassy/Consulate is mostly concerned about current income which would/could be calculated based on your pay-stubs (employment letter helps too, if you can get one) - current income does not need to match previous tax return. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I hate starting a new thread, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question and I'd really appreciate your input.

I'm working on the I-134 for my fiance, and I'm not sure if I'm going to need a co-sponsor.

Last year I was unemployed from January until August when I got a full-time job for a company with whom I'm still employed. My only W-2 income I had last year was for the four months I was employed. My gross income was $10,218. This obviously doesn't meet the $18,000 needed for a two person household.

However, my income has been steady for the past year. I have all of my paystubs, the latest of which states my gross pay this year to date is $15,916.

Thanks for your help!

You should be fine. Current income plus a showing of previous income should be plenty for them to judge that your fiancee will not become a public charge.

By the way, your unemployement income "counts" for last year. That plus your $10.000+ gross is probably enough anyway to show you "qua;ified" last year. While I wouldn't expect a consulate to issue a visa based only on unemployment income, that you had some last year and now have a steady job shouldn't hurt at all.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

You are almost there and now you have to deal with the embassy. This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.