canucker18

Crossing a land border

17 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'll be crossing from Ontario into NY at the Alexandria Bay border, near Kingston.

I just want to be prepared as to what I should be receiving from them?

I understand I have to give them my stuff from the Consulate, and I get an I94 from them is that correct?

They keep one and I keep one?

When I leave that office, what should I have in my hands?

Passport-do Iget another stamp there?

I94- who gives this to me?

Anything else that I will be getting when I cross that I don't already have???

Thanks. and woooooooooooo. :dance:

Edited by canucker18

Adjustment of Status 2008

May 6, 2008 ~~~~~~~ I751 package mailed to Vermont

May 17, 2008 ~~~~~~~~Check Cashed

May 19, 2008 ~~~~~~~~ NOA1

June 20, 2008 ~~~~~~~ Fingerprinting appointment

April 1, 2009 ~~~~~~~~ APPROVED!!!!

K-1 Visa

October 11, 2005 ~~~~~ Mailed I129F (Vermont)

October 25, 2005 ~~~~~ NOA2 in email (yay)

February 8, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview Day! APPROVED!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

March 27, 2006 ~~~~~~ Mailed AOS, EAD, AP to Chicago

March 29, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS, EAD, AP arrives at Chicago Lockbox

March 31, 2006 ~~~~~~~ NOA's for all 3

April 18, 2006 ~~~~~~ Biometrics Appointment in Providence

May 15, 2006 ~~~~~~ RFE in the mail-more financial info

May 26, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS touched

June 19, 2006 ~~~~~ EAD Card in the mail

July 27, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview for Green Card

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Canucker, try calling Rainbow Bridge (Border Control) in New York 716-282-3141. They've helped me with quite a few questions I've had in the past. And if they don't know the answer they try to redirect you. One of the Officers even gave me his name in case I called back, so I wouldn't have to go through the whole speil again! I was quite surprized! Good luck and God speed. Keep us posted :dancing: ...........{{{HUGS}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went across Maine when I entered the USA back in Dec 2004. Went with a Uhaul truck!! I drove up to the POE officer, told him Iwas there to activate my cr-1 visa,he said, ok, go pul lup to one of the stalls and go inside. Parked, went inside, I was the only person there!! Walked up to the Customs dude, gave him my inventory list (all the stuff in the Uhaul truck, just put into a word document using "tables" nothing fancy) He looked over the list and sent me over to Immigartion. I gave them the Brown envelope. They looked it over. They had to make a few phone calls to ensure they did it properly. Asked a few basic questions, fingerprinted me, and put aink stamp on the opposite page of the visa Mtl put in my CDN passport, and that was it!! They kept al the contents of the brown enevlope, gave me back my passport (never showed them the xray) and that was it for Immigration!! Went back to Customs dude, he said everything was OK and off I went. They never looked inside the truck. Did not take that long. Very easy process. That was my experience. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

So what is your I94? And where is it? In your passport? Iknow you need copies of it for everyting with AOS..so when and where do I get it?

Adjustment of Status 2008

May 6, 2008 ~~~~~~~ I751 package mailed to Vermont

May 17, 2008 ~~~~~~~~Check Cashed

May 19, 2008 ~~~~~~~~ NOA1

June 20, 2008 ~~~~~~~ Fingerprinting appointment

April 1, 2009 ~~~~~~~~ APPROVED!!!!

K-1 Visa

October 11, 2005 ~~~~~ Mailed I129F (Vermont)

October 25, 2005 ~~~~~ NOA2 in email (yay)

February 8, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview Day! APPROVED!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

March 27, 2006 ~~~~~~ Mailed AOS, EAD, AP to Chicago

March 29, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS, EAD, AP arrives at Chicago Lockbox

March 31, 2006 ~~~~~~~ NOA's for all 3

April 18, 2006 ~~~~~~ Biometrics Appointment in Providence

May 15, 2006 ~~~~~~ RFE in the mail-more financial info

May 26, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS touched

June 19, 2006 ~~~~~ EAD Card in the mail

July 27, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview for Green Card

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
So what is your I94? And where is it? In your passport? Iknow you need copies of it for everyting with AOS..so when and where do I get it?

At a land border, the CBP officer will create the I-94 for you in the secondary processing area. They staple it to your passport on the page opposite your visa.

Basically you need to tell the officer at the primary inspection point (the booth), that you are activating your K1. They'll send you over to secondary and you go in, present your visa and brown envelope. They'll look over the stuff in the envelope, produce the I-94 and stamp your passport with the stamp over the visa. That's it...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I went across Maine when I entered the USA back in Dec 2004. Went with a Uhaul truck!! I drove up to the POE officer, told him Iwas there to activate my cr-1 visa,he said, ok, go pul lup to one of the stalls and go inside. Parked, went inside, I was the only person there!! Walked up to the Customs dude, gave him my inventory list (all the stuff in the Uhaul truck, just put into a word document using "tables" nothing fancy) He looked over the list and sent me over to Immigartion. I gave them the Brown envelope. They looked it over. They had to make a few phone calls to ensure they did it properly. Asked a few basic questions, fingerprinted me, and put aink stamp on the opposite page of the visa Mtl put in my CDN passport, and that was it!! They kept al the contents of the brown enevlope, gave me back my passport (never showed them the xray) and that was it for Immigration!! Went back to Customs dude, he said everything was OK and off I went. They never looked inside the truck. Did not take that long. Very easy process. That was my experience. Best of luck

Ditto here. Such a simple process. :yes: However, this is as CR-1 visa. I do not know what the K-1 visa is like. We do not have an I-94 or anything else stamped in our passport. :whistle:

Good luck!!!

Can the Naturalizatin process be so painless?!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Ditto here. Such a simple process. :yes: However, this is as CR-1 visa. I do not know what the K-1 visa is like. We do not have an I-94 or anything else stamped in our passport. :whistle:

Good luck!!!

You don't get an I-94 for a CR-1.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Canucker, try calling Rainbow Bridge (Border Control) in New York 716-282-3141. They've helped me with quite a few questions I've had in the past. And if they don't know the answer they try to redirect you. One of the Officers even gave me his name in case I called back, so I wouldn't have to go through the whole speil again! I was quite surprized! Good luck and God speed. Keep us posted :dancing: ...........{{{HUGS}}}

Call the number that I've already posted. They really are great................{{{HUGS}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

• 3 years later...

Yes! This is exactly what I was wondering too. I now have a feel of what I can expect at my own land POE (Douglas/Pac Hwy) in BC.

One question though: Is it acceptable that my husband (& his car) accompanies me when I cross over? I'm just bringing my personal affects (clothes, shoes, bags, make-up/straightener/blowdryer, books), as my parents are turning my bedroom into a guest bedroom and aren't letting me take any furniture. I'm guessing that since its only a few boxes, we can probably use folded the backseats of both of our cars.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Aug 21/04 - Met at ethnic community bbq/field day (Seattle)

Aug 26/04 - First date (Vancouver)

Nov 24-29/04 - Met his mother & her side of family (Philadelphia)

June 15/05 - He moves to Seattle

Aug 19/07 - Our engagement & engagement party (Vancouver)

Aug 23/08 - WEDDING

Nov 23/08 - Petition for I-130 & I-129f

Feb 12/09 - both petitions approved

Feb 20/09 - K3 package received

April 27/09 - Medical exam (Vancouver)

May 28/09 - K3 Interview (Vancouver)

May 29/09 - pick up approved visa!

June 21/09 - POE @ Pac Hwy, arrived to our apt in Seattle

June 22/09 - apply for AOS & EAD

July 6/09 - AOS & EAD received by USCIS, being processed

July 13/09 - Biometrics letter received

Aug 3/09 - Biometrics appointment

Aug 19/09 - AOS interview appointment letter received

Aug 24/09 - EAD received

Aug 8/09 - SSN received

Sept 17/09 - AOS interview - PASSED!!

Yes! This is exactly what I was wondering too. I now have a feel of what I can expect at my own land POE (Douglas/Pac Hwy) in BC.

One question though: Is it acceptable that my husband (& his car) accompanies me when I cross over? I'm just bringing my personal affects (clothes, shoes, bags, make-up/straightener/blowdryer, books), as my parents are turning my bedroom into a guest bedroom and aren't letting me take any furniture. I'm guessing that since its only a few boxes, we can probably use folded the backseats of both of our cars.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Yes, your husband can cross over with his car and with some of your stuff. Usually we advise bringing a list of things you're bringing over. Not detailed, but like Box #1, clothing etc. You should perhaps write down serial numbers of electronics. I can see that you searched the forum for threads that might be pertinent to your situation and that's good! (The thread is 3 years old). If you have any more questions about crossing at your particular POE you might want to post a new topic here about the situation, or search under the Canada forum for the name of the POE.

Here's a link to the Canada VJ Wiki page as well which might have some info on crossings.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Canada

Oh yes, as a reminder...if you're bringing your own car over, you have to get a compliance letter from the manufacturer.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have to list the monetary amount of all of your goods on the inventory list? How do they determine duty/import charges if you are land crossing at the POE with a Uhaul containing all of your stuff? I am considered a US returning resident and my husband will be the American PR.

Timeline
Do you have to list the monetary amount of all of your goods on the inventory list? How do they determine duty/import charges if you are land crossing at the POE with a Uhaul containing all of your stuff? I am considered a US returning resident and my husband will be the American PR.

You don't pay duty on your personal belongings when you are an intending or returning resident. I did include a rough monetary value for each box/tote, and each larger item.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

List serial #'s for any electronics as well!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Yeah, I didn't do that and didn't see it noted that we had to - did you do that for a reason - or just to be extra thorough?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I didn't do that and didn't see it noted that we had to - did you do that for a reason - or just to be extra thorough?

I did it because I was told to by numerous people on here.... I read it on a few different threads to list serial #'s. Of course, it was never asked for, neither was my packing list!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.