Ban Hammer

Homeland Security paperwork delays weddings

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

WASHINGTON - Red tape is holding up wedding bells for an estimated 10,000 U.S. citizens waiting on the Homeland Security Department to design new paperwork so they can apply for visas for their foreign fiancees.

A new law, approved in January, required Homeland Security to retool visa application forms in an attempt to protect foreign mail-order brides from abusive American spouses. But the department, which oversees immigration services, failed to meet a March 6 deadline to produce the paperwork. And that has had unintended consequences — snarling the immigration process for thousands of other couples.

A Homeland Security spokesman estimated that at least 10,000 couples have had their plans jilted even before they got to the altar.

On Tuesday, the department said it would send out additional forms to the visa seekers for more information that should satisfy the new law's protections.

"Mine never got approved. It's just sitting there," said Bill Hall, 41, a construction foreman from Burlington, Vt. He applied two months ago for a visa for his fiancee, Debbie, to immigrate from Canada with her two sons. In separate interviews, the couple said they have been dating for six years.

Homeland Security acknowledges the bureaucratic delay is "certainly an inconvenience," said Chris Bentley, spokesman for the department's Citizen and Immigration Services.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
No one should be planning their wedding before they get the visa without understanding clearly that by doing so they stand losing a lot of money. That was true before IMBRA and it is true now.

True that... we checked immigration dates/times of how long things could take.. set a prospective church wedding date (no money down kinda thing). we missed that date by... more than a year already :P ppl do not plan on the time it takes to get the proper paperwork together, let alone processing times, and normal delays.. yet if there is a hang-up somewhere... extend that delay by months unfortunately.

but hey... its a bloated gov'ment process.. are ppl REALLY shocked that there could/would be issues? no, until it happens, then their up in arms over it.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"clearly an inconvenience"

Sheesh. An inconvenience is when they don't have a turkey sandwich so you have to get ham. Or you get to the car wash and it's closed.

Hold on to what is good even if it is a handful of earth.

Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.

Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.

Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.

Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you.

--Pueblo Blessing

ticker.png

ticker.png

Holding up weddings?!?! Yes, and I'm really sorry about that. But what about those of us who are ALREADY MARRIED?!?!?! WHO HAVE LIVED TOGETHER???? ARRGGGG!!!!

Surely they would have known using a fiance petition for married couples was stupid to begin with.

Sorry to vent, but Jeeezus H. Crispy!

I-751 Submitted August 2008

RFE Nov. 5, 2008 for incorrect fee

Nov. 6, 2008 Package returned to VSC with correct fee

NO COMMUNICATION FROM USCIS WHATSOEVER!

August 29, 2009 Letter of Intent to start removal proceedings

August 31, 2009 Letter and Phone with Congressman's office

Sept. 3, 2009 Infopass

Sept. 4, 2009 New I-751 submitted with another fee

Sept. 25, 2009 I-797C NOA received with 1 year extention dated Sept. 14, 2009

Oct. 2, 2009 NOA2 Biometrics Letter Appointment received

Oct. 9, 2009 Biometrics

Oct. 12, 2009 Updated on USICS website

Jan. 12, 2010 RFE

Feb. 2, 2010 RFE Returned

Feb. 4, 2010[/b ]RFE Received by USCIS

Feb. 19, 2010 EMAIL, TEXT & WEB UPDATE! CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED! Hallelujah!

Feb. 22, 2010 Second Email and text stating card production ordered.

Feb. 24, 2010 Email and Text stating Approval notice mailed.

Feb. 25, 2010 Approval letter I-797C dated 2/19/2010 received.

Feb. 27, 2010 Green Card arrived!! Envelope postmarked 2/23

Vintage Gifts & Upcycled Art!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is the article billsgirl was talking about then, right? I see they were mentioned...

It sure enough looks like it!

oh yeah i remember that...

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline