Big Papa Zone

Spingfield, Missouri

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

When this K1 process is finally over, I'll be moving to Southern Illinois, about 70 miles from St Louis. The thing is, that whilst I think St Louis is a great place, I totally fell in love with the Table Rock area of SE Missouri, and really want to live down there.

I realise that employment opportunities will be limited in Table Rock, but a major city, Springfield, is less than 40 miles away, and I'm assuming that (when the economy is in better shape) there will be jobs-a-plenty to be had there. Am I correct in that assumption?

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Check out the website below.

http://www.bestplaces.net/

Here's the lastest comment posted on Springfield.

Springfield, MO - Pros/Cons - 2/10/2008

Clint

Barry, IL

Pros:

1. Low crime rate

2. Excellent school system

3. Low cost of living and housing

4. Affordable place to live

5. Stable economy

6. Home to 5 or so colleges, including Missouri State University

7. Lots of recreation nearby in the Ozarks

8. An overall good place to live

Cons:

1. Huge meth lab problem, as pointed out by other reviewers

2. It is largely religious, so if you're an Atheist you generally won't fit in

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Timeline
Check out the website below.

http://www.bestplaces.net/

Here's the lastest comment posted on Springfield.

Springfield, MO - Pros/Cons - 2/10/2008

Clint

Barry, IL

Pros:

1. Low crime rate

2. Excellent school system

3. Low cost of living and housing

4. Affordable place to live

5. Stable economy

6. Home to 5 or so colleges, including Missouri State University

7. Lots of recreation nearby in the Ozarks

8. An overall good place to live

Cons:

1. Huge meth lab problem, as pointed out by other reviewers

2. It is largely religious, so if you're an Atheist you generally won't fit in

Oh dear - I think I may have a problem here!! :lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: Timeline

I was in Springfield, Missouri for a week on business. It's a horrible place. Highly racist; very much a male-dominated area. Females were pretty much given a pat on the head and thought of, and treated, as "the little women". Men would actually race to a door you were getting close to so they could open it for you. While that concept was nice for a bit, it got old quite fast. It went beyond mere politeness (because, yes, I do expect others to be polite and hold the door open, just as I would do for them).... it was disturbing in that it was coming across as fanatical. The females were nice in their roles as Southern Belles. However, the men were highly self-involved and self-important. The downtown area appeared to be a wasteland, but it may have improved since then.

Could be just me, though. :hehe:

Oh yes..... very much in the Bible belt. Highly religious.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a good friend that lives down there and I've spent loads of time down there (much of my family is originally from that area).

It really all depends on what your scene is when it comes to the Ozarks. If you are an outdoorsy type that loves camping, boating and hiking it is the place for you. Winters aren't too harsh...you have tons of great lakes like Lake Taneycomo, Table Rock Lake and Lake of the Ozarks nearby. If you are a history buff this is a great place too...the Civil War history is rich down there along with the Jesse James/outlaw type history.

The biggest drawback I would say would be that it's a very popular place to retire, so it's basically geared towards seniors/pensioners down in that area. Branson is basically where musicians and comedians go to die, and the town (IMHO) is a rather bland tourist drag devoid of any character. But Silver Dollar City is pretty fun.

It is true it is the bible belt...and nearly every church is a baptist church. One of my friends who have moved down there (she's strongly Catholic) hasn't had too many people bother her though.

Also, there are many, many rednecks. Even some of the town names are rednecky...I have family that actually lives in a town called Possum Trot! Last time my family was down there they saw a trailer with the Confederate flag painted on one side...I'm sure they would not hesitate to use a shotgun to protect their property either.

One of my workmates was recently in Springfield doing market research on retailers in the area. She said that she was surprised by the amount of classy, high priced retailers and that they have a very nice mall if you are into that kind of thing.

Anyways, that is my piece :-) As an interesting side note, a lot of people in that area are of Welsh descent. In the 1800's there were many lead mines and it attracted a Welsh settlers who generally were skilled in mining. My great great grandfather came from there in the 1860's and settled in the Ozarks where he promptly settled down and had 17 children!

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
It really all depends on what your scene is when it comes to the Ozarks. If you are an outdoorsy type that loves camping, boating and hiking it is the place for you.

That I am - that's why I love the area so much.

Branson is basically where musicians and comedians go to die, and the town (IMHO) is a rather bland tourist drag devoid of any character.

:lol:

Yeah, you can only take so much Andy Williams! But having said that, the Branson Landing area is complete and open for business now, and that's totally transformed the social scene.

But Silver Dollar City is pretty fun.

Yep, and pretty expensive too! I was planning on taking the kids there the last time we went camping in Table Rock State Park, but then I saw the admission fees - $200 for the four of us!!!!!! Erm I think not!

Its true it is the bible belt...and nearly every church is a baptist church. One of my friends who have moved down there (she's strongly Catholic) hasn't had too many people bother her though.

This will undoubtedly prove tedious, but it's not like I want to live in the city itself so should be OK.

Also, there are many, many rednecks. Even some of the town names are rednecky...I have family that actually lives in a town called Possum Trot! Last time my family was down there they saw a trailer with the Confederate flag painted on one side...I'm sure they would not hesitate to use a shotgun to protect their property either.

No more rednecks than in the shitsplat Southern Illinois town I've been living in, I assure you!!

As an interesting side note, a lot of people in that area are of Welsh descent.

What!!??? Well that's settled then - no way am I moving there!!! :lol:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline

Personally, I wouldn't decide where to live based solely on religious affliation or lack thereof. Seems pretty narrow-minded.

You really should give www.bestplaces.net another look. You can compare different locations with different criteria.

the Civil War history is rich down there

The females were nice in their roles as Southern Belles.

Missouri was not a Confederate state during the American Civil War (it was a border state) and it is not considered a southern state. You could say they had some cultural elements from the south but you can find that in parts of other states.

I was in Springfield, Missouri for a week on business. It's a horrible place. Highly racist

Missouri Democratic presidential primary, 2008[2]

Candidate Votes Percentage National delegates[3]

Barack Obama 406,917 49.20% 36

Hillary Clinton 395,185 47.90% 36

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Demo...c_primary,_2008

I guess they didn't know Obama was black.

I spent a week in the UK. I heard and saw several anti-Catholic and anti-black sentiments so it's not just in redneck Missouri.

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Timeline
Personally, I wouldn't decide where to live based solely on religious affliation or lack thereof. Seems pretty narrow-minded.

Missouri was not a Confederate state during the American Civil War (it was a border state) and it is not considered a southern state. You could say they had some cultural elements from the south but you can find that in parts of other states.

Honestly don't try to lecture me on history here...especially due to the fact aside from my great grandfather my family lines run very deep in that area of the country. My family fought for the confederates in the Civil War, and confederate sympathy ran very deep in the southern and western areas of the state - despite being in the Union.

Are you familiar at all with the Border Wars/Bleeding Kansas...or perhaps Quantrill's Raiders or the bushwackers? Bloody Bill Anderson? Or how about the fact Frank and Jesse James were essentially guerilla warriors loyal to the south ? Do you know slave ownership was legal in Missouri...it actually entered the union as a slave state in 1820...hence the Missouri Compromise.

Believe me I know what I'm talking about here. The Ozarks (Missour-ah) has VERY strong ties to the south. I have relatives who still refer to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression.

Wilson's Creek battlefield is right outside of Springfield too. It's a lovely historical jem to visit...I highly recommend.

For more information on Missouri's role in the Civil War click here.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
Are you familiar at all with the Border Wars/Bleeding Kansas...or perhaps Quantrill's Raiders or the bushwackers? Bloody Bill Anderson? Or how about the fact Frank and Jesse James were essentially guerilla warriors loyal to the south ? Do you know slave ownership was legal in Missouri...it actually entered the union as a slave state in 1820...hence the Missouri Compromise.

Bleeding Kansas was before the Civil War and the rest the guerilla actions were largely irrelevant because Union cut off Missouri (Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas) from the east by controlling the Mississippi River. Didn't they teach you that school?

Believe me I know what I'm talking about here. The Ozarks (Missour-ah) has VERY strong ties to the south. I have relatives who still refer to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression.

My alma mater contributed the greatest percentage of officers to the North than any other and my grandmother's house used to be owned by a guy in Lincoln's cabinet. When I was in the Army I was in III Corps which had fought at Gettysburg. I've lived in the South for over six years so I understand the other side, too.

Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Timeline

Interesting stuff, this. I have to confess that I always thought Missouri was a Confederate state during the civil war. And I've certainly heard of Bushwhackers (I seem to remeber watching a movie about them in which one of the characters refers to "all those Lincoln lovers in St Louis", which would seem to indicate that the more rural areas were sympathetic to the South, although I'm not taking a movie as gospel here!!!).

I can tell you for a fact that my missus hits the roof if you refer to her as a "Yank." She's Missouri born (some small town near Washington State Park, name escapes me right now) and most definitely considers herself Southern, as to the vast majority of the good ol' boys and gals I've met in the rural areas of Southern Illinois.

Whatever floats yer boat I suppose.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline
Bleeding Kansas was before the Civil War and the rest the guerilla actions were largely irrelevant because Union cut off Missouri (Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas) from the east by controlling the Mississippi River. Didn't they teach you that school?

My alma mater contributed the greatest percentage of officers to the North than any other and my grandmother's house used to be owned by a guy in Lincoln's cabinet. When I was in the Army I was in III Corps which had fought at Gettysburg. I've lived in the South for over six years so I understand the other side, too.

The point isn't whether or not it was a Union state, my point is in areas the southern sympathy ran very strong and you can't apply the label of a union state very easily on Missouri...not unlike other states along the mason-dixon line. And the attitudes persisted after the Civil War...that is how Frank and Jesse James got away with robbing trains and banks for as long as they did. The people saw them as fighting against northern carpetbaggers.

I apologize if I came across as sanctimonious. Missouri's situation was very complicated in those days...there was for sure a strong pro-union contingent but there was a sizable part of the population that was pro-south. Like I said my roots run very deep in that area and much of my family at that time supported the south.

Speaking of which, another one of my great great grandfathers was in the battle of Pea Ridge and was killed...somehow his body ended up in a river and they didn't find him for several weeks. As you could imagine the body was quite difficult to identify at that point. So when they had his wife identify his body, the only way she knew it was him was by the underwear...apparently she had knit them and they were bright red! I always got a kick out of that story.

I take it you enjoy Civil War history yourself. Did you get the US Weekly special edition on the Civil War?

wtf-picard.jpg

I'm from Souyhern Illinois and I love it. Of course I spend most of my life outside. If you are laid back and enjoy small town living its perfect.......and I would think you could find a job anytime....dont count on making billions though....

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I love Missouri (Missour---e). But, then, I live in St. Louis. It's been a long time since I've been down in the southern part of the state.

BTW....I do not consider myself southern. I'm a midwesterner.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I love Missouri (Missour---e). But, then, I live in St. Louis. It's been a long time since I've been down in the southern part of the state.

BTW....I do not consider myself southern. I'm a midwesterner.

Yeah it's interesting how it works in Missouri...but I think someone else mentioned Southern Illinois is the same way, and even parts of Southern Ohio.

I do love the state...I remember taking road trips with my parents to Rockport, MO to descretely buy fireworks that were illegal in Nebraska for the 4th of July. It's funny that there are about 4 rather large firework stores (and around the 4th several tents popped up too) in this very small town...I think probably 2/3 of their business was from Iowa and Nebraska.

We'd also take a trip every other summer or so to Worlds of Fun. I would say that nearly every summer growing up we would spend some time either in the KC area or down in the Ozarks.

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
The point isn't whether or not it was a Union state, my point is in areas the southern sympathy ran very strong and you can't apply the label of a union state very easily on Missouri...not unlike other states along the mason-dixon line.

As border state during the war there were some mixed loyalities within different states. My home state is Indiana and there was book published years ago called something like the 9 Nations of America. http://theelectoralmap.com/2008/02/27/texas-demographic-primer-who-will-jerry-jones-vote-for/ ://http://theelectoralmap.com/2008/02/...ones-vote-for/ ://http://theelectoralmap.com/2008/02/...ones-vote-for/ "Dixieland", according to the author, as a form regional indenty extends as far north as Indianapolis! In Missouri, Dixieland extends from the southwest corner to around St. Louis.

she knew it was him was by the underwear...apparently she had knit them and they were bright red! I always got a kick out of that story.

I suppose if I must die, I hope it will make an amusing and memorable story like your ancestor's.

I take it you enjoy Civil War history yourself. Did you get the US Weekly special edition on the Civil War?

I'm no major Civil War buff or re-enactor and I didn't read US Weekly. I find it interesting that Americans from different parts of the country still have divergent views on the war. What other country has countless monuments to opposing sides of a civil war?

David & Lalai

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.