samantha_lou

Filling out the N400! Its time to do citizenship!

7 posts in this topic

Wow, its been a whilst since I've dropped by here :innocent: But I am attempting to fill out the N400 to become a US citizen, and have done everything apart from the section where it asks you to list all the dates that you've been out of the country, for the last five years. I haven't lived here in the US for five years, so do I just go from when I filed for AOS in 2005? What have you guys all done on this question? If I answer for five years, I'll show a considerable number of days outside of the US (which is good I guess, as I shouldn't have been here for all that time anyways!!)

Any advice would be great, I'm a little lost on this one! :wacko:

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

For the time prior to your entry to US, just write your last home address in UK--and don't bother writing down the trips.

For time after that point, write down the trips.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
For the time prior to your entry to US, just write your last home address in UK--and don't bother writing down the trips.

Did you read the N-400 Instruction Sheet?

"Part 7. Time Outside the United States (Including Trips to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean).

A. Write the total number of days you spent outside of the United States (including on military service) during the last five years. Count the days of every trip that lasted 24 hours or longer.

B. Write the number of trips you have taken outside the United States during the last five years. Count every trip that lasted 24 hours or longer.

C. Provide the requested information for every trip that you have taken outside the United States since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident. Begin with your most recent trip."

If you are filing 90 days before your 3rd PR card anniversary, you can only fill that out to the date you filed the application. Go back five years from that date, then count the days you were out of the country until the time you arrived and add that to days in step B putting the total in step A.

Does it make sense? What does make sense? Just do it if you want your citizenship.

Did you read the N-400 Instruction Sheet?

"Part 7. Time Outside the United States (Including Trips to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean).

A. Write the total number of days you spent outside of the United States (including on military service) during the last five years. Count the days of every trip that lasted 24 hours or longer.

B. Write the number of trips you have taken outside the United States during the last five years. Count every trip that lasted 24 hours or longer.

C. Provide the requested information for every trip that you have taken outside the United States since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident. Begin with your most recent trip."

If you are filing 90 days before your 3rd PR card anniversary, you can only fill that out to the date you filed the application. Go back five years from that date, then count the days you were out of the country until the time you arrived and add that to days in step B putting the total in step A.

Does it make sense? What does make sense? Just do it if you want your citizenship.

NICKD is pretty opinionated when it comes to this topic. Not that I think what you are saying is rubbsih by any means, but don't think it is a cut and dry as you make it out to be.

I have talked to many who have done it with just listing the time since there GC and they have had no problem. However I haven’t talked to anyone yet who has been approved at an interview who has put in the days out of the country that have exceeded the allowable days out of the country (due to they only being here 3 years). I am not saying that it won’t get approved or people haven’t got approved, but I haven’t solicited any responses from them. Would love to hear their input, but I imagine most of them don’t frequent this site anymore since they are USC’s now. I imagine either way works, haven’t heard of any body being denied because of this question (who stayed with in the 3 or 5 year limits).

26/02/2005 Married in London to South African with UK Residency

28/02/2005 Sent off I-130 to London Consular

08/03/2005 Charge posted on Credit Card

14/03/2005 Sent off DS-230

15/03/2005 NOA of I-130

24/03/2005 Received Packet 3

18/04/2005 Sent in Form 169 (notice of readiness)

10/05/2005 Received Packet 4

06/06/2005 Medical at 10:00am in London

15/06/2005 Interview at 9:00 am (108 Days) -Approved

16/06/2005 Noon - Recieved Papers and Visa from Embassy

21/08/2005 Wife entered US on green Card

Conditions Removed +/- 1 year

??/06/2007 Submitted I-751

??/07/2007 Biometrics

02/04/2008 Application transferred from TSC to VSC

01/July/2008 Card Production ordered

N-400 process-3 months & 8 days

16/June/2008 Sent in packet of N-400

18/June/2008 NOA Priority date

20/June/2008 Check cashed

26/June/2008 NOA recieved

12/July/2008 Biometrics

08/Sept/2008 Interview- passed

24/Sept/2008 Oath (Cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

29/Oct/2008 Oath & Passport Application (not expedited)

07/Nov/2008 Passport Received - Done with the Process

Timeline

Certainly has been a discussion about listing your trips since you became a permanent resident, like if you live across the street from Canada, work in an international flight crew that has made 600 trips in the last three years, or you job requires a lot of overseas travel. Probably in those cases, best to consult with an immigration attorney. But how many trips are we talking about here?

Another problem that was one of ours, we didn't read the N-400 three years ago so didn't keep a diary of our trips since they are asking for the precise dates.

So that just leaves the number to put in the box, the number of days you were out of the country in the last five years, some suggest scratching out the five and writing in a three that could give reason for denial, and if you want to risk that, go ahead. But if you do that number would be the sum of the days you listed for your trips.

If you leave the form as is, can just subtract the number of days from the day you arrived here to the day your PRC indicates from 730 add the difference to the number of days you listed as being out of the country since you received your car and write that number in. But granted that number is irrelevant, the question should state the number of days you were out of the country since you became a permanent resident and they is what they want to know. So why didn't they ask it?

Luckily I've only had one trip home in the time since I became a permanent resident, and have been out of the US a whopping ten whole days since getting my greencard! ^_^

Thanks for the advice, its always good to hear some other opinions and get input! :)

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

Timeline

Same with us, my step daughter not only to adapt but had to learn English as well starting off as a freshman in high school, so really no time to travel. Plus her biological father refused to sign for her passport and that is the rule of her country. So we could only make one trip, also ten days when my step daughter turned 18 and no longer required her dad's permission.

This day between dates saves a lot of calendar counting.

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Since it took the USCIS to present my wife and daughter 13 months to finally give them their green cards after their arrival here, considered those days as in the USA as they certainly were not out of this country and the day they arrived here was also the same date there address changed from there old country to this country.

We prepared our N-400 early selecting a date 90 days before the 3rd PR card anniversary day and that was the day put on when the application was made out and signed that was March 27, 2008. So by plugging in March 27, 2003 as the first date, and the day they arrived here as the second date, that gave us the days between dates, plus adding our ten days out of country, and plugging that number to the days they were out of the country for the last five years.

Again, does this make sense since the only days they care about our the days you are out of the country since receiving your PR card? But a stupid question deserves a stupid answer, a correct answer for their question, until they correct their form. But that is their job, not ours.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.