caybee

Iftar at work

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I make a pretty big batch, so you can cut it down if you want. (Hopefully my memory serves me well...lol)

Melwi

Mix together:

4 1/2 C white flour

3 1/2 C semolina

1 t yeast

1 t salt

2 t sugar

Using the kitchen Aid add 2 C water, then gradually add 1 more C (more or less) until the dough is soft and smooth, but not sticky. Roll about 2 to 3 inch balls and place on greased sheet (I use Pam). Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.

Melt 1 Cube butter (margarine will work, but not as good) in the microwave. Add equal amount of oil.

Dip the ball in the butter/oil mixture and flatten into a circle on the counter. Get it good and thin (flipping it over to ensure that the butter coats both sides). Then fold it in thirds one way, then the other. Cover and let it sit another 5 minutes.

Spray Pam on the griddle and heat to 350 degrees. Flatten the balls again, using a little more of the butter mixture. It will be about 4 inch square.

Fry until golden brown on both sides.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Growing up, I worked at Wendy's....and that was when breaking the fast was in the late Spring...I think was 6 or 630. OUCH. I had to be around all that food and during the busy dinner rush. I had to find few minutes to eat a few things and the run back to grill. Easier said then done...may times it was just a drink until about 8 pm when I would make my super duper 6 single patty hamburger. Only had one of those in my lifetime!

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

-Chad Ochocinco "85" - WR Cincinnati Bengals

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Growing up, I worked at Wendy's....and that was when breaking the fast was in the late Spring...I think was 6 or 630. OUCH. I had to be around all that food and during the busy dinner rush. I had to find few minutes to eat a few things and the run back to grill. Easier said then done...may times it was just a drink until about 8 pm when I would make my super duper 6 single patty hamburger. Only had one of those in my lifetime!

I think I just felt an artery slam shut. :lol:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
I make a pretty big batch, so you can cut it down if you want. (Hopefully my memory serves me well...lol)

Melwi

Mix together:

4 1/2 C white flour

3 1/2 C semolina

1 t yeast

1 t salt

2 t sugar

Using the kitchen Aid add 2 C water, then gradually add 1 more C (more or less) until the dough is soft and smooth, but not sticky. Roll about 2 to 3 inch balls and place on greased sheet (I use Pam). Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.

Melt 1 Cube butter (margarine will work, but not as good) in the microwave. Add equal amount of oil.

Dip the ball in the butter/oil mixture and flatten into a circle on the counter. Get it good and thin (flipping it over to ensure that the butter coats both sides). Then fold it in thirds one way, then the other. Cover and let it sit another 5 minutes.

Spray Pam on the griddle and heat to 350 degrees. Flatten the balls again, using a little more of the butter mixture. It will be about 4 inch square.

Fry until golden brown on both sides.

Oh, excellent. Thank you so much. :thumbs:

I'm the USC.

Timeline

Your welcome. :star:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
When Wadi was working at the restaurant and couldn't be home for iftar I would make him a pack with the following:

paratha breads (i think it's indian bread, but wadi loves it and it's easy to make from frozen - just cook it in a pan http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2060/214806...3ebf8f.jpg?v=0)

hardboiled eggs with cumin

those spicy moroccan sausages (much better hot of course, but he'd eat them cold)

laughing cow cheeses

dates

a pastry

how do you get the cumin into the hard boiled egg? :blink:

injection

Funny girl... (little delayed, been busy all day)

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

~John Fitzgerald Kennedy~

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

~Jalal ad-Din Rumi~

Timeline

For anyone that wants to see how to form the melwi you can watch this video. It shows how to form them after the balls have sat for 15 minutes.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9PI_MRnJs2E

Edited by morocco4ever

Timeline

Morocco4ever, I made a half batch of your melwi recipe today, and it came out so well! Thank you so much for sharing this. I used the dough setting on my bread maker to knead it. My husband was tickled when he realized what I was making. Even cut in half, it was still a very large batch for two people, so we made another dish from it that I remember having in Morocco. Hubby calls it rafisa, but he thinks there may be another name for it. I found a reference to rafisa as breadcrumbs mixed with dates and honey, which this is not, but maybe the breadcrumbs are what make it rafisa. I'm attaching pictures of both, and I'll put the chicken rafisa recipe in the pinned thread.

Melwi

DSC00523.jpg

Rafisa

DSC00525.jpg

I'm the USC.

Filed: Timeline
Morocco4ever, I made a half batch of your melwi recipe today, and it came out so well! Thank you so much for sharing this. I used the dough setting on my bread maker to knead it. My husband was tickled when he realized what I was making. Even cut in half, it was still a very large batch for two people, so we made another dish from it that I remember having in Morocco. Hubby calls it rafisa, but he thinks there may be another name for it. I found a reference to rafisa as breadcrumbs mixed with dates and honey, which this is not, but maybe the breadcrumbs are what make it rafisa. I'm attaching pictures of both, and I'll put the chicken rafisa recipe in the pinned thread.

Melwi

DSC00523.jpg

Rafisa

DSC00525.jpg

YUMMY...looks so good...now I'm hungry! LOL :devil:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Melwi

DSC00523.jpg

Rafisa

DSC00525.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmm.... those look so delicious! I'm going to have to try them both. My bread came out wonderfully, too, today. Heading to the Sultan's Kitchen for your recipe now... :thumbs:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.