Rodgiegirl

EAD at airport?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Zambia
Timeline

Hey okay, I seem to have a lot of questions tonight....I heard that depending on the airport you the foreign fiance can get a work authorization stamp in their passport at the point of entry.IS this true, and if so does anyone know about Seattle?? And if not, what airports might it be available at, and would it be worth it to fly into one of those intstead????? Just a thought.

Interview: 2008-02-21

Visa in hand: 2008-02-26

POE (NYC):2008-03-11

Wedding: 2008-04-11

AOS Interview Appointment 2008-12-08

Hey okay, I seem to have a lot of questions tonight....I heard that depending on the airport you the foreign fiance can get a work authorization stamp in their passport at the point of entry.IS this true, and if so does anyone know about Seattle?? And if not, what airports might it be available at, and would it be worth it to fly into one of those intstead????? Just a thought.

The only one that I know of, or that has been mentioned on this site, is JFK. But then, its only good for 90 days. Some employers wont hire a person with that short of a work authorization, and depending on your fiances skills/experience he may not be able to get a job in that 90 days anyway. If you have a job lined up, it might be worth it, if not, you will likely spend a good part of that 90 days looking for work and probably not as worth it.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Im going to be flying through JFK so that i can get the EAD (and so we can spend a few days in Ney York!). Even though its only good for 90 days, at least it gives you the chance to work somewhere, even if its not a job that you really want - gives the opportunity to earn some money. If you're willing to work there will always be a job available and having the EAD just gives u the flexibility to do that and not have to worry so much about finances

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

JFK is the only airport I've heard which routinely supplies the EAD

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You might want to read some of the POE reviews here http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php some people have said that in SFO they give the EAD. Check them out.

K-1 VISA TIMELINE

Sent I-129F Petition..................................10/03/07

Petition Received......................................10/04/07

Check cashed..........................................10/05/07

NOA 1 Received.......................................10/12/07

NOA 2 Received.......................................01/30/08

Packet 3 Received....................................04/04/08

Interview Date.........................................06/10/08 APPROVED! THANK YOU LORD!

Visa Received.........................................06/16/08 THANK YOU LORD!

Attended CFO -Seminar...........................10/17/08 ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL!

Left for USA/US Entry..............................07/25/08

GOT MARRIED ('',) .................................10/15/08

AOS TIMELINE

Sent I-485 Petition..................................10/18/08

I-485 Arrived Chicago Lockbox................10/23/08

NOA Received .......................................11/01/08

EAD TIMELINE

Sent I-765 Petition..................................10/18/08

I-765 Arrived Chicago Lockbox................10/23/08

NOA Received .......................................11/01/08

AP TIMELINE

Sent I-131 Petition.................................10/18/08

I-131 Arrived Chicago Lockbox...............10/23/08

NOA Received ......................................11/01/08

K-1's are automatically authorized to work for the first 90 days after entry into the US. Although most employers would like you to have an SSN, which you can apply for about 2 weeks after entering the country. There are some local USCIS that will issue the EAD stamp, if cajoled.

JFK is the only airport I know to issue the temporary EAD stamp.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
K-1's are automatically authorized to work for the first 90 days after entry into the US. Although most employers would like you to have an SSN, which you can apply for about 2 weeks after entering the country. There are some local USCIS that will issue the EAD stamp, if cajoled.

BUT, how does one convince an employer of this fact? You have nothing to show that you ARE work authorised. Besides, if you DO get an temporary EAD stamp, once those 90 days have passed you need to have an EA card (the approved and in your hand EAD) to show your employer so they can be in compliance with the I-9 they should have on file for you. I'm sure you know this but for the benefit of others, one cannot apply for EAD without first applying for AOS. Neither of those can happen without getting married first. The temporary work authorisation is good if you plan on marrying immediately upon entering the US and filing AOS right after. EAD is taking 90 days (in some cases more than that) to be approved.

Which local USCIS offices give out EAD stamps? I was under the impression that wasn't done anymore, not even for interim EAD's.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Okay, thanks for you advise. So what I'm hearing corect me if I'm wrong......JFK is the only one that's known to do that. And it's only good for 90 days, what happens when we get married and apply for AOS. can he not work then?

Thanks

Okay, thanks for you advise. So what I'm hearing corect me if I'm wrong......JFK is the only one that's known to do that. And it's only good for 90 days, what happens when we get married and apply for AOS. can he not work then?

Thanks

The EAD expires when the I-94 does, 90 days after entry. It doesn't expire upon marriage or filing for AOS. So if you married right after you got here, and filed for AOS right after that, you'd be getting the new EAD (based on your AOS petition) probably right around the time your first EAD expires.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

okay, I'm really new at all of this, but when foreign fiance gets married doesn't that change everything when it comes to status and working??

Filed: Timeline
okay, I'm really new at all of this, but when foreign fiance gets married doesn't that change everything when it comes to status and working??

Once married (within the 90 day window of course), you need to file for Adjustment of Status so hubby gets an immigrant visa (K's are non-immigrant). Unless he gets the EAD stamp, he cannot work even if married until filing for AOS.... me thinks

Good luck and hello from Seattle (kind of), L.

BUT, how does one convince an employer of this fact? You have nothing to show that you ARE work authorised. Besides, if you DO get an temporary EAD stamp, once those 90 days have passed you need to have an EA card (the approved and in your hand EAD) to show your employer so they can be in compliance with the I-9 they should have on file for you. I'm sure you know this but for the benefit of others, one cannot apply for EAD without first applying for AOS. Neither of those can happen without getting married first. The temporary work authorisation is good if you plan on marrying immediately upon entering the US and filing AOS right after. EAD is taking 90 days (in some cases more than that) to be approved.

Which local USCIS offices give out EAD stamps? I was under the impression that wasn't done anymore, not even for interim EAD's.

Convincing the employer is not always easy. It is highly dependent on the employer and their experience with former (non)immigrants. There are numerous debates about this, that can be found all over VJ. The DHS and USCIS websites have some foggy documentation that is contradictory at best. However, the I-9 that the employer has to fill out may be satisfied by the K-1 merely provding their SSN. In most cases, this is enough to prove to the employer that the K-1 is entitled to work. If you file for AOS/EAD within the 90-day time frame and provide this information to the employer they will (in most cases) allow the K-1 to continue working without interruption. I believe this is under the 240-day rule (but someone correct me if Im wrong).

As for which USCIS offices currently provide an EAD stamp for the asking, call and ask ahead of time. Last reports I heard a few months ago KSC and San Antonio would do it if you made and appointment. Just call your local office and explain what you want. The worst they can say is no, they wont fork over the stamp.

Mind you, all cases are different and not everyone gets the ideal situation. We've been going through SSN/EAD hell since February, all because some duma$$ at the POE entered my husband's DOB as 1928. So the EAD stamp wouldnt have done us a dayumn bit of good regardless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

My POE was Seattle and the officer didn't mention any possible temporary EA stamp, but I didn't ask either. By the time you get a SSN, find a job where they'll be comfortable with your temp status, etc. your K1 might be expired.

Just try to get married and file AOS and EAD asap so you can work asap, but count on at least 2 months from the time you marry/file AOS til you're able to work.

I suggest volunteering in activities you enjoy in the meantime. Not only is it a great way to be useful and meet people, but it'll provide you with references for when you start looking for work once you're "legal".

TIMELINE

K1 visa 2006

May 9th Sent I-129 petition

May 16th NOA1 telling us they sent our case to California Service Center

June 23rd IMBRA RFE

Sept. 5th NOA2!!!!

Dec. 12th Interview at Consulate APPROVED!!!

Dec. 14th Visa received

March 19th Move to the US!

AOS

June 15th Sent AOS and AED package

June 25th NOA1s for AOS and AED

July 21st Appointment for Biometrics

July 24th RFE (co-sponsor's passport copy) sent back

Sept. 10th EAD aproved

Sept. 12th EAD card received in the mail

Oct. 9th AOS Interview. APPROVED!!!

Oct. 19th GREEN CARD received!!

126 days!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.