payxibka

English translations of foreign documents

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

OK here is the deal.

My fiancee' just sent me the last few missing documents for the petition. She is Ukrainian and currently resides in Ukraine, however she spent time in Moldova and during her stay she managed to get married and divorced.

So needles to say her marriage certificate and divorce decree are in Moldovian (derivative of Romanian?).

I am not quite sure why (I will find out tomorrow) but she had the original documents translated from the native language into Ukrainian and then into English. :wacko: I can't imagine why she did this but maybe for the benefit of the embassy down the road.

I hesitate to show the progression Moldovian to Ukrainian to English because I am afraid the USCIS will choke on the middle step. I am tempted to just include the English translation skipping the middle step because I am certain the USCIS adjudicators cannot read the cryllic alphabet. I know the right answer is to get it all retranslated..... but I was hoping to get thr petition out o Monday....

oy oy oy :blink:

YMMV

USCIS requires any document to be translated if the original is in a foreign language. DOSS (consulate) will generally require any document not in the native language of ones country to be translated into english.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline
USCIS requires any document to be translated if the original is in a foreign language. DOSS (consulate) will generally require any document not in the native language of ones country to be translated into english.

Sorry aussiewench I do not follow you.... I know that all foreign documents need to be translated into english that is a given. I just for the life of me cannot figure out why she three stepped it....

YMMV

Not to to make this sound to simple :) But Romanian and Moldovian are so close they can understand each other with little problems.. I don't really know the direction...but I think Moldovian is just a spin off Romanian..

I'm not sure on the other language..

Sorry aussiewench I do not follow you.... I know that all foreign documents need to be translated into english that is a given. I just for the life of me cannot figure out why she three stepped it....

9/14 2006 I-129F Sent Next day Air

9/15 Recieved and signed for by "Freeman" at NSC

9/19 NOA1 CSC Recieved

9/25 Notice date Check cashed 9/25

9/28 I Recieved NOA1(I-797C) in the mail

12/5 NOA2 12/6 but Approved on 12/5 touch

12/9 Received NOA2(I-797) by snail mail

12/15 NVC has received it..Case # issued...

12/19 NVC shipped to Romania

12/22 Romanian Embassy has received an email from NVC that my Petition is on it's way...

12/29 Packet 3 sent to Veronica

1/12 2007 Packet 3 received Dang Holidays..

1/22 Sending all paperwork(I-134,Bank/Employer letters etc..,)..to Veronica per DHL, 3.5lbs...$144 WOW!

1/25 Recieved notice that She needs to pick up my packet in Chisinau..

1/26 Sending Back Packet 3

2/16 Transit Visa to go to Romania for the Interview approved..

2/20 Leaves for Bucharest overnight drive by bus...

2/21 Medical

2/22 Interview !!!! APPROVED !!!!!

3/9 2007 Flight to me....

4/7 2007 Married,,,

AOS

7/27 Sent I-485, I-864, I-765

7/30 Chicago Recieved I-485,I-765

Veronica is pregant....Due 4/17/08

9/1 Recieved NOA Bio appointment letter

9/8 Recieved NOA1's for both I-485 and I-765

9/18 Bio appointment

Received Green Card.. Nov 2007

Djuliann came 4/25/2008

I-751 Lifting Of Conditions

9/8/2009 Sent I-751

Received NOA 9/21 NOA Receipt Date 9/10/2009

9/24 received Bio letter Dated 9/18

10/9 Bio Appointment

10/23 Received Permanent Resident Card

N-400 2012

Filed for citizenship sent 2/21/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

No problem. Just show them a copy of the original and the English version. My wife went through the same thing with a Kyrgyz police certificate. Wasn't so easy in Russia to get it translated directly from Kyrgyz into English so was translated into Russian first then English. Just gave the embassy the original and the English version and they were happy.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

Here is the answer I got. Someone convinced her that she needed to have the documents translated into Ukrainian first because the English translation should come from the Ukrainian variant of her name when spelled in Latin letters.

I think she got "scammed" by a translation service looking for a little more work... Oh well.... It was only about $15 of cost and a lesson learned

YMMV

Someone correct me if I am wrong here but I always thought that any translation needs to be done by a "certified" translator? I know that whenever something gets translated to many times errors get introduced. (lost in the translation) You better make sure the translation complies with the requirements.

Timeline
Someone correct me if I am wrong here but I always thought that any translation needs to be done by a "certified" translator? I know that whenever something gets translated to many times errors get introduced. (lost in the translation) You better make sure the translation complies with the requirements.

I believe the requirement is actually "certified" by someone who is competent (or some word similar) in both languages. I know it does not have to be "certified" by a translator who has been "licensed" by some governmental authority. If I were competent in both Ukrainian and English there would be no technical restriction on me doing it myself. It seems the rules are a little "loose" in this area. Anyway, she had hers done at a business that does this professionally and the translations are full of official looking seals.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

I believe the requirement is actually "certified" by someone who is competent (or some word similar) in both languages. I know it does not have to be "certified" by a translator who has been "licensed" by some governmental authority. If I were competent in both Ukrainian and English there would be no technical restriction on me doing it myself. It seems the rules are a little "loose" in this area. Anyway, she had hers done at a business that does this professionally and the translations are full of official looking seals.

This is what the I-129 form says. Not really sure what the standard it though.

Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and bythe translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

Timeline
Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

Exactly! The ambiguous component is the definition of "competent". That is subjective at best and I never never read a post here on VJ where someone said the USCIS or Consulate has objected or taken exception with a translation..... Have you? (you have been here longer than me)

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Romanian and Moldavian are one and the same language. In other words, Moldavian is the Romanian language spoken in the Republic of Moldavia. As the latter was ruptured from the territory of Romania and attached to the USSR following World War II, the language itself suffered from the process of forced Russification; it now bears the results of the influence of the Russian language at the level of pronunciation and - to little extent - to that of the vocabulary. But, linguistically speaking, it is incorrect to define the language spoken by the Romanians living in the R of M as "Moldavian". It was referred to as Moldavian by the authorities of those times so that they would develop a feeling of estrangement from their true roots and get closer emotionally to the political goals of their new country.

I regard the above explanation as a mere act of justice towards the Romanian language spoken in Moldova. I surely hope the ones of Russian or Ukrainian nationality don't feel in any way offended. Normal, ordinary people have always lived in peace and harmony there. They have established ethnically-mixed families and put into practice the policy of love and understanding.

For fwaguy: Your fiancee won't have any problems with her translated documents as long as they bear the signature of a certified translator and have been notarized at a notary public's office. And a question: Do the English translations show a phrase such as "translation from Ukrainian" or "translation from Moldavian/Romanian"? If they show the former phrase, your fiancee should also have her Ukrainian translations with her at the interview to be able to prove the course of action if they request it. God bless you both!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I posted earlier but I have talked with my wife about her translated Kyrgyz police certificates and I did not tell you the correct answer. She just told me that the US embassy in Moscow mandates that a document from another country or language must first be translated into Russian then into English. Something to do with the foreign stamps on the document. I was unaware of this when I posted before. Not sure if it is the same in Ukraine. I would have her take BOTH translations to the interview.

Relax. The interviews are a lot easier than most people think. How many people have you read about that were denied? Just have all your documents prepared and all will go well.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline
I posted earlier but I have talked with my wife about her translated Kyrgyz police certificates and I did not tell you the correct answer. She just told me that the US embassy in Moscow mandates that a document from another country or language must first be translated into Russian then into English. Something to do with the foreign stamps on the document. I was unaware of this when I posted before. Not sure if it is the same in Ukraine. I would have her take BOTH translations to the interview.

Relax. The interviews are a lot easier than most people think. How many people have you read about that were denied? Just have all your documents prepared and all will go well.

I am not worried about the embassy... I am worried about the USCIS.... The divorce decree (free to marry) and marriage certificate (name change) are needed with the initial petition.....

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I will agree that anyone competent in both languages can do the translation as long as they have a notarized signature and the proper statement.

However, Someone correct me if I am wrong. I was under the impression that the police report was not considered a document and did not need to be translated. Birth Certificates and Divorce decrees and things like that are documents. I am not sure I am right on this but last year when my former fiancee and I did it we submitted the police report in Russian with no problems.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
However, Someone correct me if I am wrong. I was under the impression that the police report was not considered a document and did not need to be translated. Birth Certificates and Divorce decrees and things like that are documents. I am not sure I am right on this but last year when my former fiancee and I did it we submitted the police report in Russian with no problems.

I could be wrong as well but I believe as long as the police report is in the native language of the consulate it does not have to be translated.... but a foreign one would have to be translated......

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.